- Save up to 80%*
- Compare 20+ insurers
- 25 lakh+ vehicles insured
Hope such an incident doesn’t happen with anyone. If your current car insurance policy was a comprehensive one, then you will get reimbursement for the theft, based on the Insured Declared Value of your car. And you would need to buy a new car insurance policy for your new car. Once you receive the claim amount you can cancel your current car insurance policy.
Surely, car theft is a nightmare for anyone, especially if you haven’t bought a car insurance policy. Having an adequate car insurance policy would ease your financial burden that comes along with car theft.
Car theft is covered under a comprehensive car insurance policy, but it does not cover the loss of your personal belongings in case the car is stolen. If you want to cover your personal belongings in your car insurance policy, then you will have to pay an extra premium as this is available only as an add-on cover.
What is not Covered Under Loss of Personal Belongings Cover?
Exclusions of personal belongings cover are listed below:
- Any incident that has been resulted due to the insured’s negligence
- Borrowed car
- Personal belongings that are locked in a safety deposit box
- Personal belongings that the insured does not carry around
- Theft of any important documents
- If the incident was not reported to the police within 24 hours of the theft or finding out
- Loss due to climatic conditions, wear, and tear, mechanical and electrical failure, etc.
- Personal belongings that were being used by a third-party
- Personal belongings that are not mentioned in the police report
- Personal belongings that were left in the car overnight
To Claim the Loss of Personal Belongings Cover the Insurer will Involve the Following Information:
- Inform the car insurance provider within 24 hours of you finding out about the theft.
- At the time of claim intimation, you need to furnish your personal details including your name, contact details, policy number, time and date of the theft, area of the incident.
- And a Police File report and its copy is a must.
To File a Successful Car Theft Claim you Need to Follow the Process Listed Below. Please Ensure that all the Information is Provided in the Stipulated Time.
- File an FIR with Police: It is a pre-requisite. As soon as you get to know about the theft, you must report the incident at the nearest police station. Without this, your car theft claim process will not be initiated.
- Call Your Motor insurance Provider: Once you have filed an FIR report then you need to immediately call your insurance provider and inform them about your car theft. Every insurance provider follows its own process and has its own set of formalities for car theft claims. Again, make sure that there is no delay from your end.
- Inform the Transport Office: It is required as per the law to inform the Regional Transport Office about your car theft. You will need to transfer documents and papers from them. So, make sure that you remember to get this done.
- Gather All the Insurance Documents: Once you have followed the process, you need to gather all the required documents to authenticate the claim. Once all the documents are gathered, fill the car theft claim form ( get it from an insurer or download it online) and submit all the requisite documents.
Documents Required for Claim Settlement Process
You need to submit the documents listed below to your car insurance provider while settling your ar insurance claim:
- Claim Form ( duly signed and filled)
- Copy of the FIR report
- Police investigation report
- Invoice and receipts ( as required)
- Property irregularity report
- Most Read
- Getting Your Duplicate Car Insurance Policy is Easy-Here’s How!
Date: 20 June 2019
- Car Insurance Add on Covers that are Crucial
Date: 12 June 2019
- Role of Return to Invoice Cover in Car Insurance!
Date: 07 June 2019
- HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Customer Care Number
Date: 07 June 2019
- How to Download TATA AIG Car Insurance Policy and Claim Form
Date: 04 June 2019
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 332673
- Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Coverage & Features
Views : 271714
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 247737
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
Views : 203391
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
Views : 195284
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator