- 3500+ Cashless Garages across India
- 50 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 24X7 Roadside Assistance
- 100% Insurance Coverage on Service Invoice Price
We promise limited calls
IRDA Recommends Increase in Third-Party Insurance Assessment Limit
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 4186 -
Modified 16 November 2015
The Insurance Regulatory & Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has recently suggested increasing the surveyor’s limit to Rs 50,000 in case of motor accident and to Rs 1 Lakh for property and fire accidents. If this proposal is accepted by the Insurance sector, several hundreds of insurance surveyors would be struggling for their livelihood.
With an increase in the threshold for assessment of losses in claims, now the insurers would prefer to engage an in-house team of surveyors to inspect the motor and home accidents, rather than the 11,000 licensed and independent surveyors.
Currently, the threshold of average motor insurance claim is Rs 30,000 for personal vehicles and Rs 50,000 for commercial vehicles. An independent surveyor in case of motor insurance currently charges between Rs 750 and 10,000 plus expenses. The fee in a fire claim is Rs 1,500 and Rs 1.29 Lakh plus expenses for claims worth Rs 5 crores and above.
According to S. Anoop Kumar, an independent surveyor in Hyderabad, “50% of the independent surveyors will lose business if the claims assessing limit is increased to the suggested levels. Even the Policyholders will lose out the benefits of hiring independent surveyors because now the insurance companies will employ their in-house surveyors’ team who will work for the company’s benefit instead of the insured.”
The third-party threshold claim assessment was increased to Rs 50,000 during the floods Uttarakhand and in Jammu & Kashmir, and IRDAI proposes to apply the new threshold across other damage claims.
Source: This news was published on July 27, 2015 in economictimes.indiatimes.com under the title: “IRDA favours hike in third-party insurance assessment limit”
- Most Read
- What Is Covered Under Third Party Car Insurance Policy?
Date: 28 March 2018
- What is Engine Protection Cover in Auto Insurance?
Date: 19 March 2018
- How a Zero-Dep Car Insurance Policy Benefits You during Claims?
Date: 20 February 2018
- Dos and Don'ts While Filing Car Insurance
Date: 13 February 2018
- Overview of Oriental Car Insurance Policy
Date: 19 January 2018
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 255430
- What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Views : 184775
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 173567
- 9 Secrets That Your Motor Insurance Provider Won’t Tell You
Views : 130300
- Money Saving Advice for All Car Owners
Views : 125121