- 24X7Claim Assistance &
Free Customer Support
- 20 Lakh+Happy & Satisfied Customers
- Rs. 1 LakhAccident Cover @ Rs. 2/Day
- 100%Claim Support
We promise limited calls
A Complete Guide to Third Party Two-Wheeler Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 81953 -
Modified 21 December 2017
As a rule stipulated by the Indian Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is mandatory for anyone riding a two-wheeler motor vehicle to have at least a valid third party two-wheeler insurance policy. Failing to following comply with this rule could attract heavy penalties. If you are in the possession of a third party two-wheeler insurance policy, a sense of security automatically stays on your mind when riding a two-wheeler vehicle on the Indian road.
Before we jump guns and start exploring the advantages of third party two-wheeler insurance, let’s understand what third party two-wheeler insurance exactly is.
Third-Party Two-wheeler Insurance - Definition
Third party two-wheeler insurance is the policy that protects riders against any damages caused to a third party. In India, it is mandatory to have a third party two-wheeler insurance when riding a two-wheeler vehicle.
Advantages of Third Party Two-Wheeler Insurance
Third party two-wheeler insurance is also known as liability only insurance. This type of insurance offers following advantages -
- Third party two-wheeler insurance protects riders against legal obligations arising out of damage to third party. This third party can be an individual person or a property.
- Third party two-wheeler insurance is economical as compared to a comprehensive motor insurance plan.
- Getting a third party two-wheeler insurance is easier and requires less documentation. This is because it covers the third party and not the insured vehicle.
Disadvantages of Third Party Two-Wheeler Insurance
As discussed above, the biggest disadvantage of third party two-wheeler insurance is that it does not provide coverage to the insured vehicle or the rider/owner of the vehicle. Following are some other disadvantages of third party two-wheeler insurance -
- In a case of an accident, the policyholder is required to bear all the cost incurred due to damages to the vehicle.
- There are almost riders and options available along with third party two-wheeler insurance as compared to the comprehensive coverage.
Third Party Two Wheeler Insurance Vs. Comprehensive Coverage
People often get confused between the third party and comprehensive two-wheeler insurance. A comprehensive cover is a coverage that protects both the third party and the insured vehicle. On the other hand, third party insurance only provides cover to the third party only.
The decision of buying a comprehensive coverage or third party coverage is completely dependent on you. But experts suggest you to buy comprehensive coverage. Remember, lower premium should never be a matter of a concern for you when considering the number of road accidents and multiple other related factors. Comprehensive coverage will provide you coverage against all unforeseen expenses and liabilities.
You do not have to run to the insurance companies for getting an insurance cover, dealers provide with it at the time of purchasing a new two-wheeler vehicle.
|You may like to Read: Common Mistakes in Choosing Bike Insurance|
Renewal Procedure of Third Party Two-Wheeler Insurance
To renew third party two-wheeler insurance, you need to keep on checking the expiry date. Just before the expiry date, you can renew the cover online. To avoid attracting inspection charges, you should keep a track on the actual expiry date.
You should grasp each and everything about your insurance policy before renewing it. Homework on your insurance policy can get you beneficial discounts and various offers. The best way to renew a policy is by using the online gateway.
Documents Required at the Time of Renewal
- Current policy for reference
- Registration Certificate of the insured two-wheeler vehicle
- Debit Card/Net Banking details
Wrapping it Up!
Many questions can cross your mind when deciding what to buy - comprehensive coverage and third party two-wheeler insurance. Questions such as legal liability, extend of coverage provided, type of coverage provided, etc. If you have decided to go for a third party two-wheeler insurance, the best way to get it by comparing insurance online. You can compare different insurance policies to get that perfect coverage. There are many factors that can change your decision, so choose wisely.
- Most Read
- Why Are Add-On Covers in a Two-Wheeler Insurance Policy Required?
Date: 05 November 2018
- Steps to Follow While Purchasing Two-Wheeler Insurance Online
Date: 02 November 2018
- Common Mistakes While Filing Two-Wheeler’s Third-Party Insurance Claim
Date: 30 October 2018
- Buying Two-Wheeler Insurance? Here are the IRDA Rules for Two-Wheeler Insurance Policies You Ought to Know
Date: 10 October 2018
- Buying Two-Wheeler Insurance? Here is Everything you Need to know About Two-Wheeler Insurance
Date: 25 September 2018
- Renew Your Two Wheeler Break-in Insurance Policy at PolicyBazaar
Views : 184229
- Two Wheeler Insurance Plans
Views : 120121
- Lost Your Two Wheeler Insurance Documents? Here Is What You Need To Do
Views : 97649
- 5 Common Mistakes in Choosing Two Wheeler Insurance
Views : 91797
- Consequences Of Not Buying A Two-Wheeler Insurance
Views : 91039