Does Your Checklist for Next International Trip Includes These?
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 3382 -
Updated date : 27 October 2017
If you are running out of items for your bucket list for the year, deciding on a new destination can be exhilarating. The world is full of eye-catching vistas, amiable towns and enthralling cultures just waiting to identified and explored. It’s just a matter of choice, and the world is your oyester!
Many say there is always a right time to do the right things, some wait for it while some make it happen. Some wait for the right time to leave a soul-sucking job, the right time to end a lethal relationship, the right time to come back in shape...
Or the right time to explore the world or to travel to their dream destinations!
But reality says, there is no perfect time when you feel comfortable putting everything off indefinitely. Travel is one activity where you can plan everything spontaneously and go out to make it happen. So if you’re planning for international trip this year, does your checklist includes international travel insurance? If not, believe us it’s serious business!
You may wonder at how abruptly the term ‘insurance’ comes into play. However, most travellers ignore it while planning their trip. With our extensive guide, you’ll become the prepared and savvy traveller who knows that anticipation is the key to success! Let’s have a look:
No doubt travelling is fun but, at times, it can be challenging as well. Life is so unexpected; you should be prepared for unforeseen events that may occur while you’re travelling as well. So, before you leave for your dream destination in abroad, you should buy an appropriate international travel insurance that ensures your safety on board.
Benefits of International Travel Insurance
Overseas travel insurance has its own perks. Here’s why you need one:
- While vacationing, you don’t want your peace of mind to be interrupted. We believe you wouldn’t mind paying a little amount to ensure your peace and safety. With an international travel insurance plan, you can be prepared unforeseen events.
- Overseas insurance plans cater to customers ranging from infants to senior citizen, which is the best part. The plan offers coverage for illness, emergency hospitalisation, healthcare and takes care of your family when you’re out or in case of your demise.
- You can avail international cashless hospitalisation facility at network hospitals.
- Your luggage and other important documents are safe with a travel insurance
- To avail an international travel insurance plan, you don’t require a pre-medical check-up.
- Get assistance from your insurer at any time while travelling.
- Also, some policies have the provision for refund your premium in case of your early return from the trip
What All Are Included
- Medical expenses incurred during emergency hospitalisation
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Medical repatriation expenses while sending the mortal body to its homeland
- Delay of luggage
- Loss of checked-in luggage
- Emergency dental pain relief
- Loss of important documents such as Passport
- Personal accidental cover in case of temporary, permanent disability or demise
- Personal Accountability
- Terrorist attack or Hijack
- If your trip is delayed
- Coverage for emergency cash in advance
Your travel insurance wouldn’t cover below-mentioned conditions:
- Pre-existing illness and other related complications.
- If someone travels without the doctor’s consent
- No medical expense cover is provided once the policy expires
- If travelling for getting medical treatment abroad
- Self-initiated injury like suicide, attempted suicide, mental disorder, nervous disorder, stress, anxiety, depression, drug addict etc
- Self-exposure to any danger or indulging in any unlawful activity
- Maternity-related complications, childbirth, abortion r miscarriage are not covered
- Treatments other than allopathy like Homeopathy, Ayurvedic, Unani etc.
- Expenses related to contact lances, hearing aids, eyeglasses, crutches
- Delay of luggage during your return journey
- If your passport is detained by airport authority, police or customs
- If any loss is not reported to the police within 24 hours
So, the point of having an international travel insurance cover is the above-mentioned situations are covered and you remain tension-free about your finances, in a crisis. In the event of trip cancellation, you ensure the safety of your investments; with medical travel insurance, you are protected from the excessive medical costs in a foreign land. However, with a plethora of insurance products, you should be careful while buying a plan.
Now that you’re convinced on buying a travel insurance plan, let’s move on to the other part of this guide:
Decide a Place and Do Your Research
It is the most difficult thing to decide on a place to travel. People often get confused because of the infinite options available to explore in the world. If this is what stops you from seeing awesome places, we’ve a solution. First, choose a place and start your research around it. You’ll find it easier to plan this way. Just pick a random place and GO! It is always better to be specific like ‘I am going to San Francisco or New York than I am going somewhere in the USA”.
Determine Your Stay in a Foreign Country
Your stay duration or your travelling style will determine how much money you require during the trip like a 6-day trip, one-week trip, one-month trip, budget travel, backpacking...hope you get the point!
Though your dates are not finalised, you should at least know the places you are going to cover during this vacation, for how long and your travelling options that you’re going to embark upon.
Double Check Your Passport & Expiry Date
Passport is the next essential thing while travelling abroad, after travel insurance. If you don’t own one, get it immediately. Now-a-days you can get your Passport within a few clicks away online. The process will take a little time but you will be unable to book your ticket without a valid passport. In case you have a passport, ensure that it doesn’t expire during your travelling time that is at least for 6 months. No one likes to be stuck at the airport because of an invalid passport that spoils their trip.
Verify VISA Requirements of a Particular Country
You can enter a country only with a valid Visa. Visa requirements for different countries vary and depend on the country source of your passport. Before landing in a new place, make sure you know the visa requirements of that country and arrange accordingly.
Opt for a Travel Credit Card
The moment you finalise your travel destination and decided to go, get a travel credit card. With a travel credit card, you can enjoy sign-up bonus point and free miles. Start accumulating your miles so that can get you free flights etc.
Book the Flight
Once you are done with the documentation and related things, it’s the time to book the flight. But grabbing the best flight is a task. You spend hours looking for the best and end up thinking what if you don’t get the best offer. There are a plethora of options available like apps, comparison sites or articles that talk about best deals on flights. If your dates are flexible then take the maximum advantage of it as many great deals pop up with only a few weeks to go. Also, flying in mid-week of a month is less expensive as the experts say. If you are a full-time worker you would like to add an extra day or two by flying at the weekends.
Book Your Accommodation
We suggest you avoid all expensive resorts and opt for some places that allow you to enjoy and taste the culture of that place. Try the lifestyle of the locals and spend less. With the growing number of bed and breakfasts, you’re sure to be spoilt for choice. You will get innumerable options and deals available online for every particular place. Just open the flip of your laptop and keep your research on until you find the best deal.
Plan Your to-do List
Plan your bucket list of activities out there. Estimate the cost and adjust your trip budget accordingly. This way you can also do prior reservation if need, for your selected activities and get yourself impel for the trip. You should avoid the activities that your wallet doesn’t allow.
Notify Your Banker and Credit Card Company About Your Vacation
Obviously, you don’t want your banker to block your debit or credit card during your visit due to non-payment of levied dues. You should inform them about the trip and remain stress-free. It definitely creates commotion if your card doesn’t work while you are trying to pay for any purchase you made there. It will hardly take few minutes of you to inform your banker. So make a call and follow the procedure, though we admit it is tedious, still! It will save you from being in an awkward situation in an unfamiliar place.
Explore the Local Transportation
It is wise to explore local transportation and save on travelling during your stay in a foreign land.
The train can be a most alluring way to travel as it is often relaxing and safer than navigating by a car while roaming in a strange road.
If your travel destination is Europe then it can be easily navigated by trains owing to its small size. Famous travel destinations like Spain, Germany, and France have excellent rail networks. You could also take the channel tunnel that connects you with another country or state. There are rail passes that allow the travellers to explore 28 European countries. Isn’t t it exciting?
You can travel by bullet trains in Japan that run city to city, while other parts are well connected with slower rail services. The visitors can buy passes, which is cheaper than hiring a car.
The rail network in the USA is also well connected and less expensive. It allows the travellers to travel coast to coast by train. Again, different rail passes are available with different prices that you can buy.
Bear in mind, if you are travelling in Asian countries, you will find the trains overcrowded and poorly maintained unless you spend more money to get a luxury coach.
In East Asia, buses are the good options for exploring local destinations. Or you can try domestic flights to clock up the kilometres when you’re in rush.
Inform Your Insurer
It is advisable to inform your insurer before heading for a foreign country. When you feel safe with an international travel insurer and assume that your plan will cover you during any unforeseen event while travelling, you should inform your insurer about your vacation. God forbid, if you’re in a circumstance that requires you to claim your insurance, if your insurer knows about your trip, the process will take less time and you won’t face any financial difficulty. Again, ensure that your international travel insurance includes everything that you require during your abroad trip. After all, you don’t want to stuck financially there.
Compare Insurance Sites to Buy Best Deal
Indian financial market is flooded with numerous insurance products. Travel insurance is no exception as various insurance companies have introduced their plans with the exciting promotional advertisement. This definitely creates confusion for you to find the right option that meets your requirement. All thanks to financial experts, we have insurance calculators. There are aggregator sites where you can compare various travel insurance plans on the grounds of benefits, features, claim process and ratio, premium. This way you will get a fair idea on various plans available in the market and get the apt one that suits all your requirements.
Pack Like a Pro
Finally, it is time to pack your bag. If you are a frequent traveller, you will know what to pack, what not to and how to pack. Try packing fewer clothes but keep the essentials that you will need during your trip. First, make a list of things you want to pack in your bag. Collect the items accordingly. Here also, the internet is your saviour. You’ll get so many articles on travelling that talk about what to pack while travelling and what not to. Refer to those sites where travel experts are talking about various tips and pack like a pro.
Once you are done with everything double check your list, grab your passport and heading towards your dream destination. And, don’t forget to travel with an international travel insurance and remain safe!
- Most Read
- International Travel Insurance Myths You Got to Stop Believing
Date: 20 August 2019
- Tips to File International Travel Insurance Claims
Date: 26 February 2019
- Things You Should Know About Travel Insurance and Claims Benefits
Date: 25 February 2019
- Why should you Buy Travel Insurance for Your International Trip?
Date: 09 January 2019
- Top 9 Tips to Procure the Best Travel Insurance Plan
Date: 30 July 2018
- 10 Best Travel Insurance Plans for Your New Year Travel
Views : 11053
- How to Get the Best Deals on Travel Insurance?
Views : 9622
- What are the benefits of International Travel Insurance?
Views : 9251
- International Travel Insurance Plans
Views : 8484
- Travel Insurance Claim Rejected - Why?
Views : 6895
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator