Carnegie Mellon University Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 895 -
Updated date : 18 December 2019
Carnegie Mellon University - Overview
USA is home to handful of top-notched universities that grab the attention of many students globally. One such university is Carnegie Mellon University based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Initially, the university was known as Carnegie Institute of Technology for granting four years degree. It was 1967 when the Carnegie Institute of Technology merged with the Mellon Institute of Industrial Research and formed Carnegie Mellon University. Since then the university has been serving hordes of international students with open arms.
Carnegie Mellon University for International Students
Carnegie Mellon University celebrates unity in diversity. It is ranked 7th in national universities with the highest percentage of international students. It provides the students with an opportunity to know each other’s culture and learn together. The university is quite famous for its science and technology department. Undergraduates here get the chance to participate in research work and can avail fellowship to support their research in their respective filed of interest.
Carnegie Mellon University Entry Essentials
The Entry Essentials of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania:
- Visa Requirements: the aspirants of Carnegie Mellon University can enter the state with F-1 or J-1 visa. The visa should be applied a few months earlier the exact day of travelling. Without a valid visa, one is not authorised to enter the USA or any of its states.
- Passport Requirement: A passport with a minimum validity of 6 months is essential for travelling to the USA.
- VWP and ESTA: If one is entering with VWP he/she can stay without a visa for 90 days. This facility can be availed in 38 participating countries of VWP, including the USA. However, you’ll also require an ESTA approval before travelling to the USA.
- Student Travel Insurance: In order to make your stay convenient, student travel insurance is a smart choice to be considered. There is no denial that Carnegie Mellon University offers student health insurance under CMU Student Health Plan, which is essential for every student. However, those who are already covered can waive off the option. But if you compare this plan with a student travel insurance policy offered by various Indian insurers, there is a huge difference in the cost. As we already know the medical expenses are quite expensive abroad. Therefore it is essential to cover yourself with a comprehensive policy that covers those unplanned medical expenses if a contingency arises. But what about the non-medical emergencies that may arise while travelling. International students travelling from India or other parts Asia should consider buying this plan as it is cost-effective and offers comprehensive insurance coverage including medical emergencies.
Carnegie Mellon University Health Insurance Vs Student Travel Insurance
CMU Student Health Insurance
Student Travel Insurance
$150 copay per admission
*Date culled from CMU Student Health Insurance and TATA AIG Student Guard Plan brochure
Admission Process of Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon University is home to international students. It is being ranked 7 for national universities with the highest percentage of foreign undergraduate students. As per U.S. News Short List, the university registered 23% degree-seeking students in the year 2016-17.
When it comes to applying for admissions, Carnegie Mellon University considers the same procedure and timetable for international students as for the local candidates. The university doesn’t offer financial aid to international students.
- Admissions are granted through applications under Early Decision, Regular Decision and transfer applicants
- TOEFL or IELTS score. TOEFL 102 or above, while IELTS score of 7.5 or above is required
- InitialView interviews for non-native English speakers but aren't a mandatory requirement
- A school transcript written in the English language. If the original transcript is written in the language other than English, the same needs to be accompanied by an official translation
- Those who are applying for International Baccalaureate or GCE A-level examination, expected exam results are required
- International students are not eligible for fee waivers
Things to Do when in Carnegie Mellon University
One of the liveliest cities of USA, Pittsburgh is home to more than 86,000 students getting education from 10 colleges and universities here. The City of Bridges, the Steel City, or simply The 'Burgh, with many of its names, this place never stop its visitors to be pleased. Given that, the nearby areas of the university have many things to explore and make your stay stupendous:
- Carnegie Museum of Art
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History
- Carnegie Science Centre & Highmark Sports Works
- The Andy Warhol Museum
- Mattress Factory
- The National Aviary
- Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens
- Senator John Heinz History Centre
- Great Allegheny Passage
- Kennywood Park, known as the best theme park in the country
- Laurel Highlands
Shopping Attractions for Students of Carnegie Mellon University
Undergraduate or post-graduate study at Carnegie Mellon University is just more than regular academics and research. It is about experiencing life at one of the liveliest cities in the USA.
The university strives for providing its students with the opportunity to make the student life more engaging. When academic and extra-curricular, to group exercises to venue access are at priority, by exploring the nearby localities or local markets you can take a break from usual campus life. Here’s our list of shopping options for the students:
- Giant Eagle
- Trader Joe’s
- Whole Foods
- Giant Eagle
- Rite Aid
Where to Eat near Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh is home to many ever-expanding delicacies that make you astound. If you are planning your visit or enrolled in the university, give a try at least one of many coveted food spots nearby. Starting from the food trucks to the country’s first restaurant incubator, from local dishes to Indian food, this place got everything you wish for. Let’s take a short walk off-campus:
- The Porch- for sandwiches, seasonal salads and pizza
- Eat Unique- perfect for a quick lunch
- Primanti Brothers- famous for sandwiches topped with fries and coleslaw
- Pamela’s Diner-Delicious crepe-style pancakes
- Fuel and Fuddle- subs brick oven pizzas and sandwiches with a twist
- Oakland’s Original Hot Dog Shop- famous for fries, super dogs and Aiello's Pizza/ Mineo's Pizza House- best for pizza lovers
- Everyday Noodles, Cafe 33, Sichuan Gourmet and Bangkok Balcony-Asian Eateries
- Millie's Homemade Ice Cream-serves best ice creams in town
- The Commoner-experience Italian cuisines
- Carnegie Mellon’s dining-On-campus dining option offering Indian, Pan-Asian, Mexican, and Mediterranean cuisines
Accommodation Near Carnegie Mellon University
The nearby areas of Carnegie Mellon University offer good accommodation at affordable rates. Some of them offer a free shuttle for the visitors to the campus. The hotels in the nearby locations are:
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Friendship Suites
- Hyatt House Pittsburgh
- Inn on Negley
- Mansions on Fifth Hotel
- SpringHill Suites Bakery Square
- Sunnyledge Boutique Hotel and Tea Room
Transport Facility of Carnegie Mellon University
From bikes to buses, cars to inclines, you’ll find many options to get around the campus from other parts of the city. The university itself offers five shuttle routes for the university students. The campus is connected with three major neighbourhoods commuting from where is quite easier by walk. For longer distances, you can use a bike, bus or taxi. Shuttle Service and the Escort Service are two systems that offer safe convenience. Allegheny County's Port Authority Transit system is extended to degree-seeking students. A fee is chargeable, where the access is granted through ID Cards. Apart from these, the local bus is the most cost-effective way of getting around the campus and the city. The university also operates a shuttle service from 6:45 am to 10:45 pm daily during the regular academic terms which connect the off-campus locations to the campus.
Local Law and Etiquettes of Carnegie Mellon University
The state law of Pennsylvania doesn’t allow anyone to consume alcoholic beverages below the age of 21 years. Consumption or selling of alcohol under the age of 21 is a punishable offence. The university campus of Carnegie Mellon is an alcohol-free zone.
As per a new bill passed, the minimum smoking age at Pennsylvania is expected to lift from 18 years to 21 years soon.
If Carnegie Mellon University is in your study abroad list, you can consider this information to get acquainted with the university culture, admission process and local laws of the city.
- Most Read
- A Quick Guide to Submit Student Travel Insurance Claim
Date: 26 December 2019
- 10 Common Exclusions under a Student Travel Insurance Plan
Date: 28 November 2019
- Things to Know Before Buying Student Travel Insurance
Date: 13 November 2019
- Reasons Why Comparison of Student Travel Insurance Is Important
Date: 05 November 2019
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 24304
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 8438
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 7421
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 7384
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 6867
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator
- Travel Insurance Calculator