Johns Hopkins University Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 2164 -
Updated date : 18 December 2019
Johns Hopkins University - Overview
Have you made the decision of studying aboard, and yet to finalise the university? If yes, Johns Hopkins University can be a good option to consider. The USA has abundance choices for pursuing higher studies and JHU is one of the most popular amongst the students.
Johns Hopkins University for Foreign Students
Founded in the year 1876, Johns Hopkins University is one of the popular universities that Maryland has. Named after an American entrepreneur, philanthropist Johns Hopkins, the university welcomes hordes of international students every year. The university offers world-class education with nine schools. The university follows a very competitive admission process which only offers admissions to the talents. The campus life at Hopkins is very delightful with many opportunities open to the students to hone their skills.
Entry Essentials for Johns Hopkins University
- Student VISA Information - International students travelling to Maryland for availing higher studies from Johns Hopkins University must have to carry an F 1 visa. To avail this, one will require I-20
- Passport Information - Carrying a valid passport is one of the mandatory entry essentials for travelling to Maryland, with at least six months of validity.
- Visa Waiver Programme: Someone from one of the 38 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Programme can stay in the USA up to 9 days without a visa, under the VWP Provided he/she is carrying a valid passport or is meeting the other requirements of VWP.
- ESTA Authorisation - To travel with VWP, one will require ESTA approval which demands the traveller to furnish specified information before the journey.
- Student Health Insurance - Having health insurance is one of the important essentials of applying for a foreign university. Johns Hopkins University also urges every student to be enrolled with the Student Health Benefit Plan. Especially the international students possessing F1/J1 visa are required to be covered with student health benefits plan. However, purchasing this plan can be an expensive affair for international students, especially one from India, due to the soaring value of the dollar against the Indian
JHU Health Insurance Vs Student Travel Insurance
Johns Hopkins University Health Insurance
Student Travel Insurance
Dental pain relief
80% of actual charge for treating the second natural teeth
100% of actual charge
80% of PA
*Comparison date culled from JHU Student Health Benefit Plan brochure and TATA AIG Student Guard Plan brochure.
Admission Requirements for Johns Hopkins University
The university accepts applications for the fall semester from August to January. The applicants can apply through the Coalition for College application, the Common Application, and the Universal College Application for first-year. Once the application process is successful from the applicant's end, the admissions committee review every application holistically.
- $70 non-refundable application fee or fee waiver
- Supporting documents with Coalition for College application/Common Application/or Universal College Application
- School counsellor recommendation
- School transcript, and high school profile
- Recommendations from two teachers
- SAT/ACT scores from first-year applicants
- Mid-year Report for those who are admitted through Early Decision Agreement
- TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test (DET) score for students from non-English speaking countries
Top Attractions for Students near Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore is the largest city in Maryland. Being the important seaport the inner harbour of the city is the focal point that attracts hordes of tourists. Students of JHU can explore many places at nearby locations that are proved to be a real treat to one’s eyes. The university is surrounded by some amazing museums that worth visiting. The historic ships at the harbour are open for tourists to enjoy nature. Among the top attractions that are in close vicinity, include:
- Homewood Museum
- The Baltimore Museum of Art Sculpture Garden
- PJ's Pub Charles Village
- Baltimore Museum of Art
- Sherwood Gardens
Shopping Attractions for Students near Johns Hopkins University
The university has plenty of options cater to the daily needs of a student. It has many shopping malls, outlets and other places where a student can get every necessary item starting from books to designer wears. Some of the good shopping attractions are:
- Baltimore Furniture Direct
- The Gallery
- In Watermelon Sugar
- The Parisian Flea
- The Power Plant
- Brightside Boutique
Restaurants Near Johns Hopkins University
You’re missing something if you haven’t tried the local cuisine. Whether it is to mark a special occasion like a birthday or to celebrate the weekends with friends, the university offers everything within the close vicinity. Some options that couldn’t be missed:
- The Ambassador Dining Room
- Bagels & Gourmet Dinner Café
- Barnes & Noble Café
- Bert’s Eats and Drinks
- Brasserie Tatin
- C&C Carry Out
- Donna’s Charles Village
- Eddie’s Market
Accommodation for Students near Johns Hopkins University
As the university doesn’t offer accommodation for graduate students, off-campus accommodations are in the top priority. However, the international students must make the necessary arrangement prior to their arrival as the options are limited. The immediate neighbouring area Charles Village offers a handful of proximal options where students can leave. Hampden, Waverly, Roland Park, Guilford, Mt. Vernon etc, are some of the good options. The university also runs a free shuttle to some of these neighbourhoods to make their stay pleasing.
Johns Hopkins University Transport for Students
The university runs convenient mode of transport to commute to the various campuses available for the staff and students free of cost. Moreover, by availing MTA College Transit Pass, one can easily get around the city. This pass is useful in accessing MTA local bus, Metro Subway and Light Rail. These passes are available at a discounted rate of $52.90, while the regular monthly cost is $72. Moreover, Zip Cars, Blue Jay Shuttle, Lyft, Collegetown shuttle, Charm City Circulator are some of the other options one can opt for.
Some Facts on Local Law and Etiquette when Studying in Johns Hopkins University
Drinking Age: Students under the age 21 are strictly prohibited from buying or drinking alcoholic beverages around the campus. However, those with eligible age proof can purchase alcohol.
Smoking: The current official smoking age is 18 years in Maryland, however, considerable proposals are given in favour of raising the age bar up to 21 years.
Johns Hopkins University can be a good option to pursue higher studies can be a pleasant experience only if you know the educational culture and local laws to be followed.
- Most Read
- A Quick Guide to Submit Student Travel Insurance Claim
Date: 26 December 2019
- 10 Common Exclusions under a Student Travel Insurance Plan
Date: 28 November 2019
- Things to Know Before Buying Student Travel Insurance
Date: 13 November 2019
- Reasons Why Comparison of Student Travel Insurance Is Important
Date: 05 November 2019
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 31597
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 10028
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 9035
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 8859
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 8285