Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 946 -
Updated date : 15 January 2019
Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Overview
If you’re planning to pursue your dreams form a foreign institute, MIT can be an ideal choice. If we talk about availing studies from a foreign country, USA will be the first option that comes to your mind instantly. And of course for a valid reason. The country has an abundance of opportunities on offer that attracts the young aspirants and one such learning institute is MIT or Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology for Foreign Students
When it comes to pursuing studies from world’s leading universities, MIT, Massachusetts is well-famous amongst the students. The quality education and comfortable of stay has made it one of the most sought-after educational institutes amongst the foreign students. Every year the university welcomes thousands of applications. It has enrolled 4,602 UG students and 6,972 PG students for the academic year 2018-19. The university is also well-famous for a profound research facility and believes in learning in the classrooms, laboratory and form each other. Founded in the year 1861, the institute offers the best possible study amenities to the students coming from the various parts of the world.
Entry Essentials for Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Student VISA Information - Any aspirant travelling to Cambridge for pursuing studies from Massachusetts Institute of Technology must obtain a valid Visa in advance to enter one of the happening cities in the USA. Visa application form is also available and can be downloaded from the CIA website as well.
- Passport Information - One of the mandatory rules of entering the USA is having an official passport with at least six months validity or it must be valid for beyond the intended stay in the city.
- Visa Waiver Programme - It is an initiative of the USA Government, under which a visitor is allowed to stay up to 90 days without a visa. This rule is applicable in 38 participating countries including the UK as well.
- ESTA Authorisation - To enter Cambridge under VWP, travellers must have an ESTA approval, which requires furnishing particular details of traveller(s) before getting on their flights to Cambridge, USA.
- Student Health Insurance - Having an adequate health insurance is the basic entry requirement for pursuing studies from a foreign university. MIT health insurance for the students covers prescriptions, off-campus speciality care, and hospitalization. This plan is available with no co-pay and additional charge. However, the health coverage offered under the MIT Student Medical Plan may have proved to be expensive for the foreign students especially from countries like India, due to the ever-soaring value of the dollar against the Indian rupee. Give that, having international travel insurance sounds exciting which covers the insured for all travel related risks, offers medical coverage and other risks during the course of his/her stay. However, one can be very proactive at the time of selecting a plan and compare every aspect before zeroing down the right option.
Admission Requirements for Massachusetts Institute of Technology
As admission in MIT is extremely competitive, the applicants have to meet the basic admission requirements of the University. The basic requirements are:
First Round Application Requirement:
- MIT Application
- SAT/ACT/TOEFL score
- high school transcript
- Application Fee- $75
- Fee Waiver option is available
Second Round Application Requirement:
- Letter of recommendation
Top Attractions for Students near Massachusetts Institute of Technology
From Art, Music, history, patriotic landmark to amazing beaches, Massachusetts has everything to please a tourist. When there is a world-class orchestra to perfecting one’s tan on a pristine beach, one can find the best fashion in the markets on the other hand. The rolling mountains, waves crashing on rocky shores, greenery everything has made this place picture perfect for people from every walks of life. The MIT campus has everything to treat your eyes and to steal some moments from the busy study schedule. Some of the good tourist attractions include:
- Freedom Trail
- Cape Cod Beaches
- Minute Man National Historical Park and Lexington Green
- Faneuil Hall
- Salem's Historic Houses
- Hart Nautical Galleries at MIT
- Memorial Drive
- Charles River
Shopping Attractions for Students near Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge is a city with wonderful choices of shops. The city is a hub for those who love spending hours doing shopping. Form the hustle and bustle of regular lectures and boring library studies, it would be great if get to refresh yourself by exploring various malls or the abundance of independent shops to find regular stuff. Some good shopping options within the close vicinity of MIT are:
- MIT Museum
- Harvard Cooperative Society
- Brookline Booksmith
- CambridgeSide Malls
- Prudential Center
Restaurants near Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The neighbouring areas of MIT offer a wide range of good eating joints that serve delicious food at a reasonable price. Even with a limited option, you will find every type of culinary to satisfy your taste buds. To name a few that couldn’t be missed:
- Flour Bakery & Cafe
- Anna's Taqueria
- Area Four Kendall Square
- Cafe Luna
Accommodation for Students Near Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology offers a handful of accommodation options to make sure the students have a nice stay throughout. Apart from the university-owned accommodation, there are private hotels or home-stay as well which offer comfortable stay. Some of the good options located in the nearby areas are:
- Sublet in Cambridge
- Harding House MIT HRS facility
- The Kendall Hotel
- Cambridge Boston Marriott
- The Residence Inn by Marriott Boston/Cambridge
- Hyatt Regency Cambridge
- The Eliot Hotel
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Transport for Students
Massachusetts Institute of Technology has introduced a low-carbon transportation programme at an affordable cost to make the campus easily accessible. The university always encourages using public transportation as it involves low-carbon and thus contributing no pollution. MIT T- passes are available for the students at a 50% discounted rate. Once a student is enrolled Charlie Card is allotted to access the MBTA bus or subway systems.
T-pass Pickup Location with timings:
- Pickup of passes is available during three working days and the first working day of the month at the Atlas Service Centre (E17-106): 8 AM to 5 PM
- In case the tickets are not taken by the use, the passes will be held in the Atlas Service Centre (E17-106) and are available weekdays: 8 AM to 5 PM
Some Facts on Local Law and Etiquette when Studying in Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Drinking/Buying age of Alcohol - Foreign students below 18 years of age are not allowed to consume alcohol. However, the minimum legal age to purchase any alcoholic beverage is 21 years with a valid ID proof.
- Smoking age: 21 years is the minimum smoking age in Massachusetts. However, those are with the habit of smoking must get their nicotine fix as the campus is a tobacco-free zone.
If MIT is in your study abroad bucket list, you may find this information handy!
- Most Read
- A Quick Guide to Submit Student Travel Insurance Claim
Date: 26 December 2019
- 10 Common Exclusions under a Student Travel Insurance Plan
Date: 28 November 2019
- Things to Know Before Buying Student Travel Insurance
Date: 13 November 2019
- Reasons Why Comparison of Student Travel Insurance Is Important
Date: 05 November 2019
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 23622
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 8321
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 7296
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 7260
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 6759
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator
- Travel Insurance Calculator