New York University (NYU) Student Health Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1302 -
Updated date : 18 December 2019
New York University (NYU) - Overview
Are you preparing to live a new country? If studying abroad or getting selected in a top-notch university abroad has been your dream so far, NYU or New York University can be a good option.
New York University for Foreign Students
If you are dreaming of tapping into the actor inside you, if performing one of your favourite songs in the busy streets of US or underwater diving in the Arabian Gulf, then NYU is your true calling. When in New York, there is no excuse to stay in. With 300+ student clubs and organisations, the students get ample opportunities to hone their skills in NYU. Not to mention, the three campuses of NYU in New York, Abu Dhabi and Shanghai is a blend of cultural, social activities. So, when in NYU you’ll never feel a dull moment as the campus has so much to offer, even outside the campus.
Entry Requirements to Study in New York University
- Visa Requirement: Foreign students who want to be a part of New York University must travel with a student visa. It is essential to allow plenty of time to apply for the same and to complete all the formalities to avail F-1 or J-1 visa, whichever is applicable.
- Passport Requirement: A student travelling to New York must carry a passport with at least six months validity. The passport must contain two empty visa pages to accommodate the visa. Kindly, approach the agency or embassy in your home country to avail a US passport.
- Student Travel Insurance: A student travel insurance plan comes in handy when it comes to cover your study trip abroad. No doubt, NYU itself offers health insurance, like any other universities in the USA, for the students with F-1 or J-1 visa. One can waive this option if already owns insurance. However, the concern is the cost of insurance offered by NYU. Will a foreign student can afford this, especially those who are from India or some other parts of Asia. Due to the currency difference, health insurance offered by universities like NYU may appear expensive to a foreign student. In this regard, when you can’t afford a hefty medical expense abroad or skip insurance while travelling, student travel insurance comes at your rescue, here’s how:
NYU Student Health Insurance Vs Student Travel Insurance
NYU Student Health Insurance
Student Travel Insurance
$250 copayment is charged
100% with a co-payment
*The date is culled from NYU Student Health Insurance and TATA AIG Student Guard brochure
New York University Admission Process for International Students
New York University is a hub for international students. Even the student body of this university is comprised of students from 130+ countries globally. The admission is offered through a common process through First-year Application or Transfer Application.
- The minimum eligibility to apply for students from India is 10+2 pass or equivalent examination.
- All students are required to apply through the Common Application Process online.
- NYU offers scholarships for international students with First-year Application to finance education during their stay. In order to avail this, you must submit the CSS Profile on the stipulated date.
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE/ C1 advanced or C2 Proficiency/MELAB/iTEP score in case English is not a native language. However, those are exempted who have been studying in a school or college where the language of instruction is English
- 100 and above on the TOEFL iBT
- 5 and above on the IELTS
- 70 and above in PTE
- 191 or above in Cambridge English Scale
- 84 and above in MELAB
- 5 and above iTEP
- The Fall semesters begins in September every year. however, transfer students are allowed to begin the classes from January, for the spring semester.
Things to do When in New York University
No doubt New York city is home to many renowned college and universities that welcome thousands of applications internationally. One such university is NYU which becomes a hub for both American citizens and international students for its world-class research and study environment. So, if you’re yet to study here, chances are you’re brimming with the excitement of entering the country. But before you take on the academic quest in the city, consider to explore it well. You’ll be going to experience some of the best days in your life and we can bet on that. Given that, some of the top attractions near NYU include:
Picnic in Washington Square Park
- Museum Exhibit
- Astor Place Poetry Jam
- High Line Stargazing
- Brooklyn Bridge
- UCB Free Improv Shows
- Stumptown Coffee Roasters Tasting
- Union Square
- The New York Public Library
Eating Options Near New York University
Narrowing down where to eat or what is the best place to eat might be difficult in cities like New York that offers ample options for foodies. Fret not! Starting from Italian to Indian, this place got something special for you. Here’s a list of some of the good food joints you can consider to grab a bite with your classmates.
- Famous Amadeus Pizza
- Le Mille Feuille
- Quantum Leap Natural Food
- The Bombay Bread Bar
- Il Mulino New York
- Punjabi Grocery and Deli
- Negril Village
- Tamarind Tribeca
- Indian Accent
Top Shopping Attractions Near New York University
Being a college student whether in your home country or foreign country means living your days with a limited budget and it’s quite difficult to be especially in a city like New York. But this shouldn’t prevent you from trying the latest fashion in the city that never sleeps. The city offers a plethora of vintage yet thrift stores that are trendy, environmental-friendly and offers the products at an affordable rate. If you’re a student of New York University and want to explore what’s offered by your host country, then here is your guide to be the best around the campus:
- Cure Thrift Shop- home decor, vintage dresses, shirts and more which are fairly priced
- Hamlet’s Vintage-Dresses and shirts. Famous for French Army Jacket at $25
- Buffalo Exchange- American apparel
- Monk Thrift Shop-Shoes, shirts, bags, hats etc.
- Screaming Mimi’s- Clothes from the 1920s through the present
- Tokio 7- great offers on the mint condition, high-end designer wear
Accommodation for Students Near New York University
NYU offers both off-campus and on-campus accommodation for the students. Some of the student housing available in apartment-style can be considered as well. However, the apartment hunting process is bewildering at times. Moreover, look for certain aspects while searching for accommodation in New York including affordability, space, the quality of the neighbourhood, subway access etc. Here’re some easy-to-pick options for you:
- 2118 3rd Ave
- 31 Troutman Street
- 59 Bogart Street
- 15th & 7th Ave
- 96 Suydam Street
- Bronx Student Apartments
- Student Housing in Staten Island
- Room in Stuyvesant Town
New York University Transport Facility for Students
NYU offers a range of convenient transportation services for students, faculty and staff to commute easily. There are shuttle buses operating during the fall and spring semesters from 1 a.m. to 12 midnight. The SAfeRide vans provide easy and convenient rides till midnight. It is an on-demand shared vehicle service to be availed to and from NYU. There is NYU Bike share service that offers free daily bike rentals for students, faculty and staff. The New Jersey Transit offers 25% discount on monthly passes for bus, rail, or light rail that connect the campus with different parts of the city. Metropolitan Transit Authority offers unlimited ride metro cards for 7 days or 30 days. By using MetroNorth and the Long Island Rail Road, the students can save between 2% and 5% on monthly passes.
Law and Etiquettes to Follow in New York University
Anyone under the age of 21 years are strictly prohibited from drinking alcohol or alcoholic beverages in New York.
An Anti-smoking law persists in the US which prevents one to smoke in the public places. When in New York you are not allowed to smoke in college/university, restaurant, public parks or business places. However, in New York, there is no bar for smoking as of now, but it is illegal to sell tobacco products to a person under the age of 18 years. The age limit has raised up to 21 years now.
If USA is in your list of study destinations, you can consider New York University to pursue higher studies and give a new start to your life. All the best!
- Most Read
- A Quick Guide to Submit Student Travel Insurance Claim
Date: 26 December 2019
- 10 Common Exclusions under a Student Travel Insurance Plan
Date: 28 November 2019
- Things to Know Before Buying Student Travel Insurance
Date: 13 November 2019
- Reasons Why Comparison of Student Travel Insurance Is Important
Date: 05 November 2019
- A Quick Guide to Student Travel Insurance
Date: 21 June 2019
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 27812
- Why To Buy Overseas Student Travel Insurance?
Views : 9249
- Things You Should Know While Planning Your Studies Abroad
Views : 8137
- Best Features covered under Student Travel Insurance!
Views : 8064
- Myths Busted about Student Travel Insurances
Views : 7561