Canada Tourist Visa from India
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 3103 -
Updated date : 27 March 2020
Canada Tourist Visa is an official document that allows a foreign national to enter and stay in Canada for a limited period of time. This type of Canada Visitor visa is granted only to people who want to visit Canada for tourism or meet their friends and families residing there. However, foreigners travelling to another country with a layover in Canada will also have to obtain a Canada Tourist visa if their transit will take more than 48 hours. In fact, foreign nationals will need to get a Tourist visa for Canada if they plan to transit across the country through the car, train, bus, cruise ship or boat.
A Canada Tourist visa is a type of Temporary Resident visa as it allows its holder to stay in this North American country for a maximum period of six months. The foreign tourist can get this Canada visa with either single entry or multiple entries into the country.
Foreign citizens cannot study or work in Canada during their stay in the country on a Tourist visa. They will have to obtain a Study permit or a Work permit in order to study or work in Canada respectively. Indian citizens are eligible for Student Direct Stream (SDS) that allows them to obtain a Canada Student visa faster than other countries.
All applicants of Canada Tourist visa for Indians are advised to buy travel insurance before starting their trip to Canada. A travel insurance Canada plan will shield you from any unforeseen eventualities during your trip that may cause financial losses.
How to Apply for Canada Tourist Visa from India?
There are two ways of applying for a Canada Tourist visa for Indians. The applicant can either apply online or through a paper application. Follow the steps given below to apply for a Tourist visa for your trip to Canada:
Apply Online for Canada Tourist Visa from India:
- Visit the official website of Government of Canada
- Open the menu and select ‘Immigration and Citizenship’
- Click on ‘Visit’ option to open it
- Go to ‘Apply for a Visitor visa’
- Click on ‘How to Apply’ tab
- Choose whether you want to apply online or through paper
- Go to Apply for a visitor visa’
- Create/ Sign in to your online account
- Fill up the Tourist visa application form
- Upload all the supporting documents
- Pay the visa fees online
- Fix an appointment with the Canada Visa Application Centre (VAC)
- Visit VAC and give your biometric details
- Attend your visa interview if you are called for it
- Tourist visa for Canada will be granted if you clear the interview
Apply Offline for Canada Tourist Visa from India:
- Visit the official website of Government of Canada
- Go to the menu and choose the ‘Immigration and Citizenship’
- Select the ‘My Application’ option
- Click on ‘Find forms and guides’
- Go to ‘How to Apply’ tab
- Scroll down and choose ‘Application for Temporary Resident Visa’ in the drop-down menu for finding the form
- Click on ‘Get the form’ option to download the form
- Fill up the application form
- Gather all the supporting documents
- Fix an appointment at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) for Canada
- Visit the VAC and submit your visa application form along with the supporting documents
- Pay the visa fees
- Give your biometric information (if required)
- Go for the visa interview if you are invited for it
- Applicants who clear the interview will be granted a Tourist visa for Canada
Documents Required for Canada Tourist Visa from India
In order to complete the application procedure for Canada Tourist visa for Indians, each traveller needs to submit a few supporting documents. Take a look at the list of documents that you will need to complete your Tourist visa application for Canada:
- Applicant’s passport with at least two blank pages
- Old passports of the applicant as a record for previous international trips for the last 5 years (if any)
- Two recent photographs of the applicant with his name and date of birth mentioned at the back
- Application form for Canada Tourist visa for Indians
- Booking confirmation for round trip tickets to Canada or the travel itinerary of the applicant
- Booking confirmation for accommodation in Canada such as hotel, apartment, Airbnb, etc.
- Proof of sufficient funds to afford the trip. This may include:
- Bank statement for the last six months or the applicant’s bank passbook
- Pay slips or letter from the applicant’s employer confirming his designation, salary, etc.
- Evidence of income from other sources such as pension statement, investment, etc.
- Letter from the applicant’s accountant confirming his annual income (if the applicant is self-employed)
- Medical examination report from a healthcare provider approved by the Embassy of Canada
- Family Information form (in case a family is travelling together)
- A letter from the school in which the applicant is studying confirming his leaves for the trip (if the applicant is enrolled in a school in India)
- Certificate of retirement mentioning the pension amount (if the applicant has retired)
Additional Documents for Sponsored Trip:
- A letter stating the relationship between the applicant and his sponsor
- Passport and bank statement/ passbook of the sponsor
- A letter by the sponsor confirming the sponsored trip of the applicant
Canada Tourist Visa Fee
Every applicant of Canada Tourist visa for Indians is required to pay visa fees to complete his visa application procedure. The visa fee comprises of the visa application fee as well as the biometric fee. The fee may vary if the tourist is travelling alone or with family. Refer to the table given below to find out the fee for applying for a Canada Tourist visa for Indians:
Types of Applicants
Visa Fees (In CAD)
Visa Application Fee
Family (at least 5 family members travelling together)
170 (if at least 2 family members are travelling together)
The visa fee for Canada Tourist visa can be paid online using a credit card or debit card. Applicants can also pay the visa fee offline in his local currency via cash.
How to Track the Status of Canada Tourist Visa from India?
A Tourist visa application for Canada will get processed within 12 days of submitting it. Meanwhile, the applicant can keep a check on the status of his visa application online. If you want to track your application for Canada Tourist visa for Indians, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of the Government of Canada
- Open the menu and click on ‘Immigration and Citizenship’
- Select ‘My application’ to open it
- Go to ‘Check your application status’
- Choose ‘Visitor Visa’ in the drop-down menu
- Create or sign in to your online account on the website
- In case you had applied through a paper application, link your application to your online account
- Check the status of your visa application
- Most Read