Canada Visitor Visa
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 355 -
Updated date : 31 December 2019
Canada is one of the most popular countries in the world. With a wide variety of landscapes and breathtaking views, the country is a favourite amongst travel enthusiasts as well as tourists. Right from snow-capped mountains to pristine beaches, you can find it all in Canada. A lot of people also visit Canada to witness the midnight sun and the breathtaking aurora borealis or the northern lights. If travelling to Canada is on the cards for the upcoming holidays or a business commitment, then you will have to get yourself a Canada Visitor visa to travel to this gorgeous country.
What is Canada Visitor Visa?
Canada Visitor visa is an official permit that allows a foreign national to enter and stay in Canada for a specific period of time. Entry through Canada Visitor visa can only be granted if the foreign citizen is travelling to Canada for holidays, to fulfil business commitments or to visit friends and families. Foreign transit passengers whose passage through Canada will take more than 48 hours will have to apply for a Canada Visitor visa. Moreover, people transiting through Canada via car, bus, train, boat or cruise ship will also have to obtain the Visitor visa for Canada.
A Canada Visitor visa for Indians is granted for a period of 6 months. Therefore, it is also known as a Temporary Resident Visa. The Canadian Embassy issues this visa for single trips as well as multiple trips.
In case the Canada Visitor visa holder wants to study or work in Canada, he will have to obtain a Study Permit or Work Permit. As per the current guidelines, Indian students can obtain a Canada Student visa faster than other countries if they apply through Student Direct Stream (SDS) of the Canadian government.
Every applicant of Canada Visitor visa for Indians is advised to get travel insurance for his trip. A travel insurance Canada plan will protect the insured traveller from any unforeseen adversities that may interrupt your trip and cause financial loss.
Types of Canada Visitor Visa for Indians
There are two types of Visitor visas offered by the Government of Canada. They include:
A Tourist visa is a type of visitor visa that allows foreigners to visit Canada as tourists. This type of visa can be applied by people whose purpose of visit to this North American country is to spend their vacations or visit their family and friends in Canada.
A Business visa is a type of visitor visa that allows a foreign national to visit Canada for the purpose of conducting business. People who need to travel to Canada to attend a meeting or conference in Canada can also apply for this type of Canada Visitor visa for Indians.
How to Apply for Canada Visitor Visa for Indians?
In order to get your Canada visa, you need to apply to the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in India covering your city under its jurisdiction. While some people applying for the visa offline by visiting Canada’s Visa Application Centre (VAC), you can also apply for a Canada Visitor visa for Indians online. To help you apply for the Visitor visa for your trip to Canada, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
Apply for Canada Visitor Visa for Indians Online:
- Visit the Government of Canada’s official website
- Go to the ‘Menu’ and select ‘Immigration and Citizenship’
- Select the ‘Visit’ category to apply for the Visitor visa
- Go to ‘Apply for a Visitor visa’ and click on ‘How to apply’
- Choose whether you are applying from within Canada or outside
- Select ‘online’ mode of application in the drop-down menu
- Go to ‘Apply for a Visitor visa’
- Register to create an account
- Fill up your Visitor visa application form
- Pay the visa fees online, which includes the biometric fees
- Arrange all the required documents and upload them
- Submit your visa application
- Schedule an appointment with the Visa Application Centre (VAC) for Canada
- Give your biometric information at the VAC
- Attend your visa interview if you have been called for it
- Visitor visa will be granted upon successful interview
Apply for Canada Visitor Visa for Indians Offline:
- Visit the official website of the Government of Canada
- Scroll down the page and select ‘Immigration and Citizenship’
- Go to the ‘Visit’ category to apply for the Visitor visa for Indians
- Click on ‘Apply for a Visitor visa’ and go to ‘How to apply’ tab
- Select whether you are applying from within or outside Canada
- Choose ‘on paper ’ mode of application in the drop-down menu
- Check the document checklist and arrange all the required documents to support your visa application
- Download and fill up your visa application form
- Take a printout of the form and add your signature on it
- Find out your nearest Visa Application Centre (VAC)
- Submit your Visitor visa application and pay your visa fees
- Give your biometric details at the VAC
- Go for the visa interview if you are invited for it
- If you clear the interview, you will get the Canada Visitor visa for Indians
Documents Required for Canada Visitor Visa for Indians
Each applicant of Canada Visitor visa has to submit a few documents in support of his visa application. Following is the list of all the documents that an applicant will have to submit to obtain a Canada Visitor visa for Indians:
- A valid passport with a minimum of two blank pages
- Canada visa application form
- Two recent pictures of the applicant with his name and date of birth (DOB) written on the backside
- Proof of financial ability to afford a trip to Canada, which includes
- Copy of Income Tax Returns for the last two years
- Bank passbook or bank statement for the last 6 months
- Pay slips or a letter from the employer stating the applicant’s designation, job description and salary
- A letter from the accountant mentioning the applicant’s annual income (in case the applicant is self-employed)
- Proof of income from other sources such as investment, pension statement, etc.
- Medical report of the health examination undertaken at a medical provider approved by the Canadian Embassy
The following table lists out all the additional documents that the applicant will have to submit as per his purpose of travel to Canada:
|Type of Canada Visitor Visa||Documents Required|
Canada Visitor Visa Fee
Every Canada Visitor visa application attracts a visa fee. The applicant needs to pay the visa fees in order to successfully complete his Visitor visa application process. The visa fees can be paid online through credit card as well as offline in the local currency of the applicant’s home country.
Refer to the table given below to know the visa fees that you need to pay to obtain your Canada Visitor visa for Indians:
|Type of Visa Application||Visa Fees
(In Canadian Dollar)
|Application Fees||Biometrics Fees|
|Family application (with at least 5 or more family members)||$500||$170 (for a family of 2 or more people)|
How to Track the Status of Canada Visitor Visa for Indians?
A Canada Visitor visa application takes about 12 days to get processed. However, the Canadian Embassy does allow the applicant to check his visa application status online. In order to check the application status of your Canada Visitor visa for Indians, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of the Government of Canada
- Select ‘Immigration and Citizenship’ from the menu
- Go to ‘My Application’ and click on ‘Check your application status’
- Select ‘Visitor visa’ in the drop-down menu
- Identify your mode of visa application and either sign in to your account. If you had applied via ‘on paper visa application’, you will have to link your paper application to your online account
- Check your application status for Canada Visitor visa for Indians
- Most Read
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator
- Travel Insurance Calculator