Thailand Tourist Visa
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1985 -
Updated date : 16 July 2020
Thailand, also known as the Thai Kingdom, is one of the most visited countries in the world. Around 3,042,282 foreigners have already visited the Kingdom as of October 2019 with a major share being held by Indian tourists. The country is popular for its grand Buddhist temples, pristine beaches, delectable food, lit nightlife and amazing shopping streets. But in order to indulge in all these touristy activities, you would need to first obtain a Thailand Tourist visa to enter the country. While you are at it, do not forget to insure your Thailand trip under travel insurance to safeguard it for any adverse situation. This Thailand Tourist visa guide will answer all your questions on Thai visa types, process, fees as well as documents required.
What is Thailand Tourist Visa?
Thailand Tourist visa is a type of short-stay Thailand visa that allows a foreign national to enter the Thai Kingdom for tourism purpose. It is an official permit that grants a foreign tourist entry into Thailand if he is travelling to the Kingdom to holiday or to visit friends and families. In fact, foreigners who are travelling to Thailand to obtain medical treatment will also have to obtain a Thailand Tourist visa.
Features of Thailand Tourist Visa
- Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival for citizens of 18 countries, including India
- No fee on Thailand Tourist visa on arrival until April 2020
- Citizens of 64 countries exempted for obtaining Thailand Tourist visa
- Bothe Single Entry and Multiple Entry Tourist visa available
Types of Thailand Tourist Visa
A Thailand Tourist visa is of two types – Single Entry Tourist visa and Multiple Entry Tourist visa.
Single Entry Tourist Visa
This type of Thailand Tourist visa is valid for single entry only. It allows a foreign national to enter Thailand only once. A Single Entry Tourist visa for Thailand is valid for a period of 3 months.
Multiple Entry Tourist Visa
This type of Thailand Tourist visa allows its holder to enter the Thai Kingdom multiple times throughout its validity. However, there is a limit to the total duration for each trip under this visa. A Multiple Entry Tourist visa for Thailand is valid for a period of 6 months.
Thailand Visa on Arrival for Indians
Thailand offers Visa on Arrival facility to foreign tourists arriving from certain countries. Under this type of visa, tourists from eligible countries can obtain a Thailand Tourist visa after arriving in the Kingdom i.e. at the international airports. Although, the Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival is available for a period of 15 days only. If the foreigners want to visit Thailand for more than 15 days, then he will have to apply for Thailand Tourist visa prior to starting his trip.
Foreigners can now apply for Thailand eVisa on Arrival prior to their trip by applying online. This enables the tourists to avoid the long queues at the immigration counter of the Thailand airport. Moreover, the applicant does not have to carry any required documents for a Thai visa during his trip as there won’t be any documentation on his arrival in Thailand.
Countries Eligible for Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival
At present, a total of 18 countries are eligible for Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival, including India. People with a valid passport from any of these countries can get a Thailand Visa on Arrival at the country’s entry checkpoints. Refer to the table to find out the eligible countries for Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival.
|Malta||Papa New Guinea|
Validity of Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians
The following table shows the validity of different types of Thailand tourist visa for Indians:
|Types of Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians||Thailand Tourist Visa Validity||Maximum Trip Duration Per Visit|
|Single Entry Tourist Visa||3 months||60 days|
|Multiple Entry Tourist Visa||6 months|
|Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival||15 days||15 days|
Who Can Apply for Thailand Tourist Visa?
Foreign nationals who seek to travel to the Thai Kingdom due to one of the following reasons can apply for Thailand Tourist visa:
- To holiday or vacation in Thailand. Such foreigners need to apply for the ‘TR’ category of Thailand visa
- To receive medical treatment in the Thai Kingdom. Such tourists will have to apply for the ‘MT’ category of Thailand visa
Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme and Bilateral Agreement:
According to the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme, around 56 countries around the world are exempted from obtaining a Thailand Tourist visa when travelling to the Thai Kingdom for tourism purposes. However, citizens from these countries can stay in Thailand without a Tourist visa for a maximum of 30 days under this scheme.
Thailand has also signed a Bilateral Agreement with 13 countries on Thailand tourist visa exemptions for ordinary passport holders. As per the agreement, foreign nationals belonging to these countries do not require a Thailand Tourist visa to visit the Kingdom. The agreement allows the citizen to stay in Thailand visa-free up to a period of 14 days, 30 days or 90 days depending on the country.
Please note that foreigners from Peru, Korea (ROK), Brazil, Hong Kong and Vietnam are exempted from obtaining Thailand Tourist visa under the Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme and the Bilateral Agreement. Moreover, Thailand has also signed a bilateral agreement with more than 60 countries to exempt diplomatic and official passport holders from obtaining a Thailand tourist visa.
Citizens of the following countries are exempted from obtaining Thailand Tourist visa under the Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme and the Bilateral Agreement.
|Bilateral Agreement||Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme|
|14 days||30 days||90 days||30 days|
When to Apply for Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians?
People planning to visit Thailand should apply for a valid Thailand Tourist visa for Indians before commencing their trip from India. The applicant can apply for Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians and Thailand eVisa on arrival online by visiting the official website of VFS Global for Thailand. VFS Global has been appointed as the authorized partner of the Immigration Bureau of Thailand to process eVisa on Arrival applications.
People applying for Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians offline can download the visa application forms from the official website of VFS Global. The downloaded forms along with required documents can be submitted at the visa application centre of VFS Global.
How to Apply for Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians?
There are two ways to apply for a Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians. People can apply for the tourist visa online as well as through the Royal Thai Embassy in India. Below are the steps to be followed to apply for a Thailand Tourist visa for Indians:
How to Apply Thailand Tourist visa Through the Royal Thai Embassy:
- Visit the official website of VFS Global for Thailand
- Go to ‘Visa Types’ on the menu bar and select ‘Tourist visa’
- Click on ‘Download Forms’ tab and download the visa application form
- The applicant should enter his personal and travel details in the form
- Submit the Thailand Tourist visa form along with the required documents at the nearest Visa Application Centre
- Pay the Thailand visa fees and complete the application process
How to Apply Thailand Tourist visa Applying Online:
- Visit the official website of VFS Global for Thailand
- Go to ‘Online Visa Application Form’ on the menu bar
- Click on the link for the visa application form
- Enter the details on the application form
- Upload all the required documents
- Pay visa fees online. If the applicant is going for up to 15 days trip to Thailand on or before April 2020, they can get a Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival for free
- Submit the application for Thailand Tourist visa for Indians
Documents Required for Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians
Every applicant of Thailand Tourist visa will have to submit a few documents along with their visa applications. Take a look at the list of documents given below to apply for a Thailand Tourist visa for Indians:
- Passport with a minimum validity of 6 months and at least two blank pages
- Thailand Tourist visa application form
- Two recent pictures of the applicant taken on a white background in 3.5 x 4.5 cm size
- Evidence of accommodation in Thailand stating the address and its contact number
- Evidence proof of employment and monthly income, including employer’s letter, payslips, income tax returns, employee ID, business certificate, student ID, etc.
- Invitation letter from the Thailand-based relative if the applicant would be staying with his relative
- Copy of the Thailand-based relative’s Thai ID proof or relevant immigrant/ non-immigrant visa
- Evidence of permanent residential address in India (if the applicant is not an Indian citizen)
Refer to the table given below to find out the additional documents required as per the type of Thailand tourist visa for Indians:
|Types of Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians||Documents Required|
|Single Entry Tourist Visa||
|Multiple Entry Tourist Visa||
Documents Required for Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival:
- Passport with a validity of at least 30 days
- Booking confirmation for return flight tickets to India within 15 days of entry
- Proof of accommodation at the hotel or apartment in Thailand where the applicant would be staying
- Financial proof of having minimum funds of 10,000 THB per individual traveller and 20,000 THB for every family
Thailand Tourist Visa Fee
When applying for a Thailand Tourist visa for Indians, each applicant is required to pay a visa fee to complete his application process unless exempted. At present, foreign tourists arriving from countries eligible for Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival are exempted to pay any visa fee until April 30, 2020. As per this regulation issued by the Thai Immigration, Indian citizens can get Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival free of cost.
All those people who wish to travel to Thailand for more than 15 days will have to pay a visa fee according to the type of Tourist visa they apply for. Check the visa fee (excluding service charge) for different types of Thailand Tourist visa for Indians below:
- Single Entry Tourist Visa – INR 2,500
- Multiple Entry Tourist Visa – INR 12,000
- Thailand Tourist Visa on Arrival – 2000 THB
All applicants of Single Entry Tourist visa will have to pay the visa fees via cash or through a demand draft (DD) in the favour of ‘VFS Global Services Pvt. Ltd.’, payable at Delhi. However, visa fees for Multiple Entry Tourist visa can be paid only through a DD in the favour of ‘The Royal Thai Embassy’ payable at Delhi.
Processing Time for Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians
The processing time for different types of Thailand Tourist visa for Indians varies from one another. A Single Entry Tourist visa and a Multiple Entry Tourist visa for Thailand will be processed within 4 working days. However, applicants of Thailand Tourist eVisa on Arrival will get their visas with 24 to 72 hours.
How to Track the Status of Thailand Tourist Visa for Indians?
An applicant of Thailand Tourist visa can also track the status of his application online on the official website of VFS Global. In order to track the application status, follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of VFS Global for Thailand
- Go to ‘track your application’ on the menu bar
- Enter the applicant’s passport number and date of birth
- Submit the details
- The status of your visa application will be shown
Thailand Embassy in India
|Embassy/ Consulate||Contact Details||Address||Working Hours|
|The Royal Thai Embassy, New Delhi||+91 11 2419 7200||56N, Nyaya Marg, Chanakya Puri, New Delhi – 110021||Monday Friday (9 am to 5 pm) Saturday & Sunday closed|
|The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Chennai||+91 44 4230 0730/40/80/60||116, Chamiers Road, Nandanam, Chennai (Tamil Nadu) – 600 035||Monday Friday (9 am to 5 pm) Saturday & Sunday closed|
|The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Kolkata||+91 33 2440 3231/ 7836||18-B, Mandeville Gardens, Ballygunge, Kolkata (West Bengal) – 700 019)||Monday Friday (9 am to 5 pm) Saturday & Sunday closed|
|The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Mumbai||+91 22 2282 3535||12th Floor, Express Towers, Barrister Rajni Patel Marg, Nariman Point, Mumbai (Maharashtra) – 400 021||Monday Friday (9 am to 5 pm) Saturday & Sunday closed|
Thailand is one of the top holiday destinations for Indians. Besides offering gorgeous beaches and amazing nightlife, the country is also emerging as a popular destination for Indian weddings. But what if you face an unpleasant situation during your trip? Let’s say, your flight to Thailand is delayed or your check-in baggage is lost by the airline? Such situations can disrupt your travel plans as well as cause major financial losses. In situations like these, only a travel insurance policy can come to your rescue.
Travel insurance is a protection shield that can safeguard you against any adverse situation faced during your trip. It provides a range of covers including medical expenses, baggage insurance, flight delays, loss of passport, personal liability, missed connecting flight, trip cancellation & curtailment and personal accident.
Buying international travel insurance is recommended to every Indian citizen travelling to Thailand. Just like the various types of Thailand tourist visa for Indians, people have the freedom to buy single trip travel insurance or multi-trip travel insurance. Moreover, people can choose a travel insurance policy as per their travel purpose and age. For instance, people travelling abroad to study can buy student travel insurance and senior citizens can opt for senior citizen travel insurance.
How to Buy Travel Insurance for Thailand Trip?
Indian citizens who wish to buy travel insurance along with Thailand Tourist visa for Indians for their trip to the Thai Kingdom can follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of the insurance company or an insurance aggregator
- Choose the type of travel insurance plan that you want to buy
- Go to the option of buying travel insurance
- Fill in the insurance proposal form
- Pay the premium amount online via credit/ debit cards or net banking
- Download the policy document
- Most Read