- Rs. 5 Lakh Coverage @ Rs. 10/Day*
*Standard T&C Apply
- 7 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 10,000+Hospitals for Cashless Treatment
Impact of Machine Learning within the Insurance Industry
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 514 -
Updated date : 18 February 2020
Within the insurance industry, data plays an indispensable role. Besides, in today’s times, the insurance carriers have access towards the equivalent more than when compared to the older times.
These data are from various sources such as online media activity, social media, the wearable devices, telematics and so forth. However, to process the information gathered and analytical insights machines are required.
What Remains the Challenge?
The insurance providers are having a tough time to enhance the advantages of machine learning.
Although situations have slightly changed because of the increased competitions, complicated claims, hoax behaviour, expectations of customers, strictness in the regulations, etc. are some of the many reasons.
To maintain the competitive spirit, boosting the operations of the busies and amplifying customer satisfaction the insurance providers are somehow forced to explore different ways and use machine learning along with predictive modelling for the equivalent.
Simultaneously, it is also important for insurance providers to consider the recent developments in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to resolve any challenges across the value chain of insurance.
Today insurance providers such TATA AIG General Insurance, ICICI Lombard General Insurance, HDFC ERGO General Insurance, and so on have been trying to integrate technology and develop a digital framework, which is quick and easily accessible at any point of time.
Understanding Machine Learning
In layman terms, machine learning is the potential of a machine to define and understand data to anticipate specific aftermath.
The data is essentially studied to identify the relevant patterns and based on that solve in regards to the observation made.
Now, machine learning can be broadly classified into two types:
- Supervised Learning: In supervised learning, a human interruption is required or if required, a pre-existing dataset could be fed to the system with the intent of anticipating patterns and aftermath.
- Unsupervised Learning: In the case of unsupervised learning, the system learns to identify the patterns and accordingly create clusters from the raw data.
Both of these types of machine learning capabilities can easily be put to use within the insurance industry.
Factors Directing Machine Learning in Insurance Industry
The following are some key factors that are driving machine learning in the insurance industry, which are:
- Advancement in Everything: Living in an era of technological advancement, almost every enterprise is looking forward to using advanced machine learning and maintain a name and drive smartly with the use and implementation of automated applications in almost every field such as healthcare, customer assistance, automated data centres, and so on.
- The Open Sources: The data has become omnipresent wherein the open-source protocols ensures that the data is not just shared besides is used across as well. Besides, within a common regulatory and cybersecurity scenario, the various public and private entities will be able to create ecosystems to share data based on the multiple-use case.
- Gearing Internet of Things (IoT) Data: The volume and speed of information from IoT will drive the need to robotize the age of significant understanding utilizing propelled machine learning devices. As indicated by Gartner, by 2020, 20 per cent of undertakings will utilize committed individuals to screen and guide machine learning, (for example, neural systems). The thought of preparing as opposed to programming frameworks will turn out to be progressively significant.
- The Propensity to Talkback: The Propensity to Talkback: Natural-language preparing calculations are persistently progressing. Artificial intelligence is getting capable of understanding communicated in language and at facial acknowledgement, assisting with making it increasingly valuable and instinctive. These calculations are advancing in startling manners, as Google found when Google Translate imagined its language to assist it in interpreting all the more viably.
Using Machine Learning in Insurance Industry
Let us have an understanding of the practical usage of machine learning in insurance, which are:
- A Virtual Assistant: Today, almost every insurance provider has fancy chat-bots that pops up while the customer is browsing the website of the company to garner any sort of information. Now, these chat-bots are programmed in such an effective way to provide a solution to the queries raised by the customers.
The integrating machine learning within the system of chat-bot will help to achieve the acquisition of customers via proper guidance.
- Products Suiting the Needs: In case, if you do not know, the insurance providers do not have a framework to design any customized product for the target customers. For instance, an individual who is aged 25 years old and has just learnt to drive and on the other hand, the other person who is 38 years old, the premium for both of them is determined through the same system.
Although, the risk-profiles could be different based upon factors such as age, driving patterns, experience in driving and so on. Therefore, when machine learning is integrated then it will be beneficial to create customized insurance products and premiums, which will ultimately lead to better customer satisfaction.
- Identify Risk Profiles for Underwriting: When you have sufficient and quality data, it is easy to access the risk profile of a customer. Determining the risk profile will be beneficial in underwriting risk-related potential encounters, which is to be insured by the provider.
- Fraudulent Claims: Machine-learning system will also be able to draw patterns and find out any act of fraud within a claim. Besides, one may also collect data from different insurance providers and help in building a fraud-proof system.
Bharti AXA General Insurance held an event called Call to Action wherein the emerging trends in the insurance industry were a major highlight of the event. The key highlight of the event was the innovation paradigm.
Discussions like these always help in fostering empowerment and keeping updated with the technological advancements.
Challenges While Adopting Machine Learning
While adopting machine learning, the following are some challenges, which any of the insurance providers might have to face as follows:
- Data: As referenced prior, the development and advancement through advancement are still in its early stage, this prompts a shortage in the accessibility of valuable information for learning. The information utilized by a machine to learn patterns should be perceptible for the framework to arrive at a fair-minded resolution.
If the framework is encouraged with crude and vague information, the experience picked up by the machine will seldom be productive.
- Security: The security of accessible information is likewise a test, because of remote access and improved availability. The dread of sensitive information being gotten to by pernicious powers is immense.
Then again, purchasing and ceaselessly utilizing very good quality security programming may not be a possible alternative for new players.
- Underwriting: The insurance industry is grasping a client-driven methodology. The insurance providers are hoping to make products that take into account singular needs and are valued in like manner.
They need to dispose of the well established inflexible pricing model that depended on charging a customer by posing two or three queries and straight deciding the risk profile. Actualizing machine learning is ending up being a test regarding underwriting arrangements dependent on the client-driven methodology because of the absence of experience and information.
When it comes to the Indian insurance industry, then integrating machine learning will prove to be a boon. It will be beneficial for both the insurers and the insured and help in creating a win-win situation for both of them.
- Most Read
- The Rising Need for General Insurance in India
Date: 13 July 2020
- Know How to Track General Insurance Claim Status Online
Date: 13 July 2020
- Are You Buying General Insurance for the First Time? Check Out This Guide
Date: 15 June 2020
- Why do Customers Prefer to Buy General Insurance Policies Online?
Date: 21 May 2020
- New-Age General Insurance Drives the Sphere of Transformation in India
Date: 21 May 2020
- National Insurance Policy Renewal and Online Payment Process
Views : 39236
- How to Download Tata AIG Policy?
Views : 21173
- Top General Insurance Companies with Best Claim Settlement Rate
Views : 11669
- How to Check New India Assurance Company Claim Status?
Views : 10540
- 7 Common Questions and Answers about General Insurance
Views : 10442
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator
- Travel Insurance Calculator