Why Contractors All Risk Policy Required?
This insurance policy is specially designed for protecting civil contactors against destruction or damage of different construction projects like office, hospital, channels, tunnel, etc. Any accidental damage to these projects or the plants of the contractor or machinery is covered in this kind of policy. Some of the benefits of contractor's all risk insurance policy are:
- Most of the plans under this insurance type cover projects of civil engineering where the civil work is more than 50% of the total value of the contract.
- The plan starts covering the project from the time of storage, construction, and covers till the project gets completed and is handed over to the principal.
Benefits of Contractor's All Risk Policy
The common benefits or coverage that most of the policies provide under this plan are:
- Material Damage: Under this loss, damage, or destruction of property incurred due to any cause other than those excluded in the policy are covered. Most of the policies pay for the losses or damage up to a certain amount that does not exceed the sum mentioned against every item and does not exceed the total sum insured.
- Third-Party Liability: Under this, the coverage towards:
- Legal liability related to accidental damage or loss caused to the property of third-person.
- Legal liability for non-fatal and fatal injuries caused to third-person (other than the own employees or workers of the insured) due to the construction of the property.
- Perils that are covered under contractors all risk policy are:
- Fire and allied perils
- Earthquake, shock, and fire
- Faults in construction
- Storm, flood, cyclone, and tempest.
- Negligence and human errors
- Water damage
Contractor All Risk Policy Features
- It offers comprehensive insurance cover for civil engineering projects where the value of civil works is more than 50% of the total contract value.
- The cover operates during storage, erection/construction till completion and the handing over of the works to the principal.
A policyholder can extend his/her policy to get the following cover as an add-on:
- Damage incurred to the surrounding property of the contractor’s work.
- Construction equipment such as shuttering material and scaffolding.
- Maintenance cover and maintenance visit.
- Rectification of the original defect or faults incurred during the construction.
- Damage or accidental loss while carrying out various rectifications during the maintenance period.
Claim Process for Contractor's All Risk Policy
Follow the below steps to file a claim for the contractor's all risk policy:
- Inform the insurance company immediately regarding the damage/loss by phone.
- After intimating via phone, the insurer must be notified in writing as well regarding the damage or event of a loss. The written notification must include the extent of damage caused to the property.
- If the loss or damage is caused due to burglary or theft, then the insured should inform the police immediately.
- The company sends its surveyor for the survey. Therefore, the insured should keep the damaged property/parts preserved for the same.
- The insured now must submit the duly filled claim form with the following documents to the insurance company:
- The written statement of the claim having the details of loss or damage of the property.
- For machinery claims technical damage report.
- Delivery receipts or purchase invoice.
- A police report, if it is lodged.
- Repair or replacement estimate.
What does Contractor's All Risk Insurance cover?
Contractor's All Risk insurance covers sudden and unforeseen physical damage to civil projects under construction insured by any cause or peril not specifically excluded under the policy. It comprises two sections:
Section I- Material Damage:
It provides coverage for the property lost, damaged or destroyed by any cause, other than those specifically excluded in the policy, necessitating replacement or repair. The policy will pay or make good all such loss or damage up to an amount not exceeding the sum specified in respect of each of the items and not exceeding in the whole the total sum insured.
Section II- Third Party Liability:
It provides coverage towards:
- a) Legal liability for accidental loss or damage caused to property of other persons
- b) Legal liability for fatal or non-fatal injury to any persons other than the insured\'s own employees or workmen or employees of the owner of the works or premises due to construction of any property.
Perils covered under Contractor\'s All Risk insurance include:
- Fire and Allied Perils
- Earthquake, fire and shock
- Flood, storm, tempest and cyclone
- Faults in erection/construction
- Water Damage for Wet Risks
- Human errors, negligence
Who can take This Policy?
Contractor's All Risk insurance can be availed by those who are involved in any way in construction business, such as:
- Purchaser or owner
- Companies financing the project
- Firms commissioned to carry out the work, including subcontractors
You can also cover all participants under single insurance contract for the whole project to avoid gaps in cover.