Importance of Bike Registration Certificate (RC)
When you buy a bike, you have to register it with the local Regional Transport Office (RTO) to obtain a registration certificate (RC). The purpose of obtaining an RC is to give an identity to the vehicle and its owner. Moreover, without obtaining an RC, you cannot buy insurance for your bike. Read below to know the importance of a bike RC.Read more
What is a Registration Certificate (RC) for a Bike?
According to Section 39 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, every bike owner must have a registration certificate to drive his/her bike legally on the public roads. An RC is a certified document that ascertains the registration of your vehicle with the transport authority of the Government of India.
Under the registration process, a unique identification number will be offered by the RTO. This unique identification number is displayed on the vehicle registration number plate.
You must register your bike and avail the RC within 7 days from the bike delivery date. Also, the RC is valid for 15 years from the issue date. After the expiry, you have the option to renew it for the next 5 years, providing your bike is a good condition.
Types of Bike Registration Certificate
Two types of bike registration certificates are offered in India. They have been explained below-
1. Temporary Registration Certificate
When you buy a new bike, a temporary registration number for your bike is given by the dealer. This provisional registration certificate is valid only for 1 month and therefore, you must get it permanently registered at your respective RTO within this time frame.
2. Permanent Registration Certificate
As the name states, it is the permanent vehicle registration number granted to your bike by the authorized RTO. The permanent vehicle registration number must be displayed on your bike's number plate.
What Does a Bike Registration Certificate Contain?
Your bike's registration certificate includes crucial information related to your bike. They are-
1. Registration number and registration date of the bike
2. Engine type and engine number of the bike
3. The manufacturing date of the bike.
4. Bike's chassis number
5. Bike's model number
6. Bike's colour
7. Bike's fuel type
8. Name and address of the bike owner
Importance of Bike Registration Certificate
Similar to a bike insurance online policy, you must carry your RC while riding the bike. To know how important is your bike's RC, read the below points-
1. In India, you must have an RC to drive your two-wheeler legally on public roads.
2. If you fail to carry your RC while riding your bike, you will end up paying fines. If it is your first offence, the fine for not having an RC is Rs 5,000. For subsequent offences, you are liable to pay a penalty of up to Rs 10,000.
3. In some cases, the traffic police might also seize your vehicle in the absence of an RC.
4. Also, to get a bike insurance online policy, you must have the RC of your bike. You can browse two-wheeler insurance companies on websites like Policybazaar.com to buy a suitable insurance policy for your bike. Moreover, you can also use a bike insurance premium calculatorto compute the premium amount before buying the policy.
How to Obtain a Bike Registration Certificate Online?
Just like you can buy bike insurance online, you can also get the bike registration certificate online. The process of online bike registration is simple and hassle-free. If you are planning to register your vehicle on your own, visit the ‘Vahan’ portal in your browser. You can register your bike here and get the RC.
Moreover, you can also obtain a fitness certificate on the same website. In case you want to transfer the bike's ownership to another person, you can also apply for the ownership transfer on this portal.
How to Obtain a Duplicate Bike Registration Certificate?
In case you lose your bike registration certificate, you can apply for a duplicate RC. Here are the steps that you can follow to obtain a duplicate bike certificate-
1. In case you lose the RC or someone steals it, you will have to go to your local police station and file an FIR.
2. Fill and submit Form 26 for obtaining a duplicate RC
3. If your bike is against a loan, then submit a duly signed NOC from your bank or the finance.
4. Submit other documents asked with Form 26.
Below is the list of documents that need to be submitted with Form 26-
1. A copy of the FIR.
2. Bike insurance policy documents
3. NOC from your bank
4. PUC certificate
5. Tax payment copy (last 4 quarters)
6. Address proof of the bike owner
7. Identity proof of the bike owner
Once all the above-mentioned documents are submitted, you will have to pay Rs 300 as a fee to obtain a duplicate RC. After this, you will get an acknowledgement slip, in which the receiving date for the hardcopy of duplicate RC will be mentioned.
Remember, an RC is a mandatory document for riding your two-wheeler legally. An RC plays a vital role in giving a unique identity to your bike. Moreover, if you want to buy bike insurance online, you must have the bike registration certificate. Thus, make sure to obtain your bike RC as soon as you buy a two wheeler.
Two Wheeler insurance articles
04 Oct 2022In India, many road accidents are caused due to rash driving or...
30 Sep 2022A motorbike, be it of any type, need regular care to keep it in...
29 Aug 2022Buying a bike or any other two-wheeler has become easier with a...
04 Aug 2022Buying a two-wheeler can be a significant step in one's life as...
25 Jul 2022Keeping your bike free from dents and scratches is one of the...