Professional Indemnity Insurance for Doctors
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 19 -
Updated date : 25 March 2020
Professional indemnity insurance is a specifically designed insurance policy, which provides coverage to the target group which includes doctors, architects, lawyers, chartered accountant, and medical practitioners. Professional indemnity insurance protects their business from the legal claim.
As per the recent survey conducted by National Law University, Bengaluru, there has been an escalating rise of 400% in cases associated with the medical negligence filed in the consumer court. Even though, 10-15% cases are genuine the rest 85% cases are left to defend for themselves. Thus, the need to be legally and financially insured is gaining popularity to protect the doctors against any type of legal claim.
Further in this article, we have discussed in detail about Professional Indemnity Insurance for Doctors.
What is Professional Indemnity Insurance for Doctors?
Professional indemnity Insurance for doctors is specifically designed to provide coverage against accountabilities arising out of any omission or error committed while offering services to their respective clients. This policy is eligible for a medical practitioner such as a surgeon, physician, pathologist, cardiologist, etc. The policy insures legal charges to be paid by the professional for the damage of the third party while offering the service. The legal cost that occurred in defense of the case is subject to a limit. The policy provides coverage against the civil liability claim only. Any claim resulting from criminal or unlawful activity is not covered under the policy.
Inclusions of Professional Indemnity Insurance
Let’s take a look at the inclusions of Professional Indemnity Insurance.
- The nature and scope of coverage vary with the profession. For medical professionals like physicians, cardiologists, pathologists, and surgeons, the policy protects against the legal charges claimed by the patient due to death or any bodily injury. The policy also covers the defense cost, where the insured can add other consulting doctors, partners or assistants working under them.
- The policy provides coverage against unintentional omissions or errors.
- It protects against the cost of defending oneself in the court of law.
Exclusions of Professional Indemnity Insurance
Professional Indemnity insurance may not provide coverage against the claim arising from the following reasons for a practice.
- The medical treatment is given for plastic surgery, weight loss, genetic damage, and any conditions related to AIDS.
- Penalties, disciplinary, criminal acts, fines, and exemplary damage.
- Loss of goodwill.
- Deliberate act, intentional non-compliance, willful neglect.
- Medical practice is done under the influence of narcotics or alcohol.
Compensation from the Insurance Company
The policy pays the sum assured amount that was set as a limit for a specific cover. Any expense beyond that limit is borne by the medical practitioner additionally. The cover offered to the practitioner is decided based on factors such as the risk involved in practice and the probability of a situation that may lead to a lawsuit.
The sum assured offered by the policy is referred to as a limit of indemnity and is defined as per policy period and accident. It is called as Any One Accident limit (AOA) and Any One Year limit (AOY). The insured person needs to choose the ratio of AOA and AOY while purchasing the policy and based on that the coverage is offered against the legal claim for each accident or incident of negligence.
List of Top Companies Providing Professional Indemnity Insurance Policy:
- New India Insurance– New India Insurance offers Professional Indemnity Insurance policy to professionals to safeguard them financially in the event of legal liability. The policy covers only civil liability claims.
- Reliance General Insurance– The Reliance Professional Indemnity Insurance Policy is one of the most popular policies, which provides comprehensive coverage and quick documentation. The policy covers all legal expenses associated with legal issues arising out of services offered by the professional. This policy also documents the decrease or increase in the sum assured on a mid-term basis.
- United India Insurance Company– This company offers Professional Indemnity Insurance Policy to Engineers, Doctors, CA, Architects, Lawyers and also establishments like clinics and hospitals. The policy tenure is 1 year.
- ICICI Lombard– ICICI Lombard offers Professional Indemnity insurance policies explicitly for Doctors. provide coverage against accountabilities arising out of any omission or error committed while offering services to their respective clients. This policy is eligible for a medical practitioner such as a surgeon, physician, pathologist, cardiologist, etc.
Wrapping it Up!
As nowadays people have become more aware of their rights, it is very important for doctors to have professional indemnity insurance so that their legal and financial implications of medical practice can be taken care of.
- Most Read
- What is Commercial General Liability Insurance in India?
Date: 19 March 2019
- What Is Freight Insurance?
Date: 18 March 2019
- Features of Burglary Insurance
Date: 22 February 2019
- All you need to know about a Group Health Insurance Policy
Date: 03 January 2019
- Should you Include Your Parents in Employer’s Group Health Insurance?
Date: 13 August 2018
- What is Professional Liability/Indemnity Insurance?
Views : 20898
- Corporate Group Health Insurance - An Intro
Views : 12841
- What is Corporate Insurance & What are its Features and Benefits?
Views : 12475
- Group Health Insurance vs. Individual Health Insurance
Views : 11205
- How to Shift from Group Medical Cover to Personal Policy
Views : 6043
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator
- Travel Insurance Calculator