Corona Kavach Policy
Stay home, stay safe, social distancing, sanitization, quarantine etc. are the buzz words these days. Millions of people has affected by the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) all around the world that puts global security under a constant threat. When the entire world turns to a standstill, India is not left behind. Despite the relentless efforts and colossal optimism, India is currently the 4th worst hit country with lakhs of people affected from Covid-19. And the count is still rising.
Amidst multiple measures and efforts taken by the Indian government, the insurance industry has also come up with various coronavirus specific a basic & standard health insurance plans to cover the hospitalisation cost related to the treatment of COVID-19.
What is Corona Kavach Policy?
Corona Kavach Policy is specially introduced to protect you & your family from Covid-19 treatment. As per the guidelines of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), all the health and general insurance companies in India have launched Corona Kavach Individual & Family Floater Policy on 10th July, 2020..
A Corona Kavach Policy is an indemnity health insurance policy that covers the hospitalisation & medical expenses arising out of Covid-19 treatment. This policy covered pre-post hospitalisation as well as domiciliary expenses, home care treatment expenses and AYUSH treatment incurred by the policyholder in case of an outbreak of coronavirus (Covid-19).
Corona Kavach Health Insurance Policy at a Glance
Let's consider the below table to understand the coverage offered under Corona Kavach Policy as per the IRDAI guidelines:
||Rs 50,000- Rs 5,00,000
||3 ½ months, 6 ½ months, and 9 ½ months
Minimum: 18 years
Maximum: 65 years
||15 days from the date of the policy comes into effect
|Mode of Premium
||Based on hospitalisation
Fetures & Benefits of Corona Kavach Policy
Corona Kavach Insurnace Policy comes with certain features and benefits which are mentioned below:
- The policy covers hospitalization expenses including room rent, nursing cost, ICU cost, surgeon’s fee, doctor’s consultation fees etc.
- Pre and post hospitalisation expenses are covered up to a defined period.
- Someone taking treatment of coronavirus, certain insurers cover treatment expenses up to a period of 14 days.
- The policy comes with no capping on the room rent.
- AYUSH treatment expenses are covered including Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, Homeopathy.
- Emergency ambulance cover up to a certain limit is covered.
- This health insurance plan will be taking care of basic health-related cases of COVID – 19.
- This will be a standard policy having common wordings throughout the industry.
- The policy has a tenure of 3 ½ months, 6 ½ months, and 9 ½ months, which is 105 days, 195 days, and 285 days respectively.
- The validity of these guidelines is 31st March 2021.
Corona Kavach Health Insurance Premium Table
Corona Kavach is being offered by all health insurance companies in India are similar given that most of the benefits are mandated by the IRDAI to cover the coronavirus medical expenses. Below is the mentioned Corona Kavach Premium Chart:
||Sum Insured (in Rs)
||Age Criteria ( in year)
|Star Health & Allied Insurance Company Ltd.
||Rs 350- Rs 2965
|Max Bupa Health Insurance
Children: Up to 4
||Rs 176- Rs 14927
|Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Co. Ltd.
||Rs 447- Rs 3378
|United India Insurance Co. Ltd.
||Rs 177- Rs 2856
|Oriental Insurance Co. Ltd.
||Rs 127- Rs 1272
|Future Generali India Insurance Company Ltd.
||Rs 225- Rs 2584
|National Insurance Company Ltd.
||Rs 155- Rs 4780
|Edelweiss General Insurance
Children: Up to 3
||Rs 459- Rs 7414
*(The above table is for reference purpose only, the premium may be subjected to changes as per the policy term, age of the insured person, and the sum insured. Please read policy wordings carefully)
What's Covered Under Corona Kavach Health Insurance?
In the wake of a deadly pandemic like this, health insurance providers have started offering a corona kavach health insurance to treat the healthcare expenses arising out of hospitalisation due to Covid-19 or to address the basic insurance needs of an individual. The list of inclusions under this Corona Kavach includes the following:
- Hospitalistaion Expense Cover: This policy is an indemnity-based policy that covers the hospitalisation expenses incurred due to treating corona.
- Ambulance Cover: The road ambulance costs are covered while being transferred the patient to a hospital up to Rs 2000.
- Hospital Cash Benefit: The policy offers a daily cash benefit up to 0.5% of the sum insured as Hospital Cash Benefit up to certain days as mentioned in the policy document.
- Home Treatment Cover: Depending on the condition of the patient, the policy also covers the treatment availing at home for 14 days. Home care treatment is covered in case the patient is availing coronavirus treatment at home.
- Pre-hospitalisation Cover: The policy covers the treatment expenses incurred before hospitalisation such as consultation fees tests, check-ups for a period of 15 days.
- Post-hospitalisation Cover: The policy covers the expenses incurred up to 30 days from the date of discharge.
- AYUSH Treatment Cover: Corona Kavach policy covers AYUSH treatment expenses as well, including Ayurveda, Unani, Sidha, Homeopathy treatment. However, the treatment has to be taken from an authorized hospital.
- No Deductible: The sum insured can be availed from Rs 50,000 to Rs 5,00,000. However, there are no deductibles.
- ICU Expense Cover: COVID patients most of the time need to be admitted in the ICU. The expenses are undoubtedly at the higher side. No worries, the policy covers that as well.
- No Cap on Room Rent: Some insurers come with no cap on room rent while hospitalised, if opting for a single private room.
What is not Covered in Corona Kavach Health Insurance?
Though the policy comes with comprehensive coverage, certain things are still not feasible to cover:
- Treatment expenses that are not related to coronavirus or current diagnosis and treatment are not covered under Corona Kavach policy.
- Expenses arising out of custodial care at home, bed rest or nursing facility at home etc. are not covered.
- Expenses for buying medicines without a proper prescription or doctor’s advice are not covered, such as dietary supplements or other weight loose programs.
- Claim arising out of any unproven healthcare treatment that lacks sufficient medical documents to support the claim is not considered for availing policy benefits.
- Any claim that is caused due to war, war-like situation, use of nuclear weapon etc. is excluded.
- Expenses incurred for vaccination, preventive treatment, inoculation etc. are not covered.
- Treatment availing outside India is excluded.
- COVID claim before the start of the policy is not covered or any hospitalisation below 24-hours is excluded. If testing is done in an un-authorised hospital, the claim arising out of it will not be entertained.
- The policy doesn’t offer coverage for OPD expenses and daycare procedures, which don’t require the patient to be hospitalized.
*This is not the comprehensive list. The list of exclusion may vary or extensive from insurer to insurer.
How to Cancel Corona Kavach Policy?
The insured can cancel the Corona Kavach Covid-19 Policy on the grounds of not meeting the specific requirements or unsatisfactory in terms of coverage, within 15 days from purchasing it. The premiums will be adjusted as per the prevailing norms of IRDAI. With this, IRDAI attempts to make this a flexible policy for the users.
On the other hand, the insurer has every right to cancel the policy anytime on grounds of misleading, non-disclosure of health-related fats or medical history, act of fraud while claiming the policy by presenting false documents etc. A 7-days written notice is given. However, the insurer will not refund a single penny in case of misrepresentation or fraud.
*Every insurer may come with various terms when it comes to policy cancellation. Kindly refer to the policy documents in this regard.
How to Claim Corona Kavach Policy?
The claim process of the Corona Kavach Policy is as simple as a regular health insurance policy with no such difference. The policy can be claimed either for cashless or for reimbursement benefit. The claim steps are mentioned below:
- The first step is to inform the insurer when a claim arises. The claim initiation window depends on the type of hospitalisation which has the be maintained in case of panned and emergency hospitalisation for 72 hours and 24 hours respectively.
- In case of cashless claim, a pre-authorisation letter has to be submitted seeking cashless claim permission from the insurer. On the other hand, in case of reimbursement, the hospital bills are paid by the insured on his/her own initially and register a claim later.
- On approval on the claim request, the insurer settles the hospital dues directly or reimburses the expenses up to an admissible amount.
How to Buy Corona Kavach Policy?
Buying Corona Kavach Policy is easy. All you have to do is to visit the official website of Policybazaar. Here are the steps of buying this policy at Policybazaar.com:
- Visit Policybazaar.com
- Go to health insurance
- Explore the plans by providing your basic information such as name, age, contact number, requirement of insurance etc.
- The calculator will suggest the plans based on your requirement along with their coverage and premiums.
- Find the one that best suits your requirements, pay the premiums online using a debit/credit card or net banking.
Once the payment is done, an acknowledgment SMS will be sent to your registered mobile number and the soft copy of the policy will be sent to the registered email id. The same will be sent to the mailing address as well.
FAQs about the Corona Kavach Policy
Ans: As it is an indemnity-based policy, the benefits are offered followed by a hospitalistaion of 24 hours minimum. However, especially consideration is implied in case of treatment availing at home while the patient is not in a condition to move to the hospital.
The policy can be availed for 105 days, 195 days, and 285 days, depending on the requirement of the policyholder.
Ans: The sum insured can be availed as Rs 50,000 to Rs 5,00,000.
Ans: Corona Kavach policy can be availed as floater or individual sum insured basis.
Ans: There is a 15-days initial waiting period to serve.
Ans: No, there is no deductible.
Ans: The claim process is as same as other health insurance policies, where cashless or reimbursement claim process has to be followed.
Ans: Depending on the health history, the insurer will let you know if you require a medical test or not.
Ans: No, the policy is dedicated for covering coronavirus specific treatment expenses only.
Ans: It is 18 years.
Ans: Yes, family members such as spouse, children, parents, in-laws can be covered as well.
Ans: The maximum age of entry is 65 years.
Corona Kavach Policy-News
As mandated by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), all the 30 health insurance providers and general insurance providers have started offering Corona Kavach policy, which is an indemnity Standard Health Insurance Policy.
To acknowledge the contribution of the healthcare sector in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, the insurers will offer a 5% discount on ‘Corona Kavach’ policy premium to all the healthcare workers including doctors, and nurses, as per the recent guidelines issued by the Regulator. All the eligible individuals can avail of the discount at the time of policy purchase. Read more about Corona Rakshak policy here.
Written By: PolicyBazaar - Updated: 30 July 2020