Public Liability Insurance for LPG Customers
Public liability insurance is the result of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy. The insurance act was passed in order to avoid such tragedies in the future and hold the owner accountable for the cause. Further, the act came in order to provide immediate relief to the victim of such tragedy. According to the act, every individual, dealing with hazardous substance is required to purchase a professional indemnity insurance policy. Similarly, the distributor is also required to subscribe to public liability for LPG customers.Read more
Get right expert advice
Hassle free policy
Quick & Hassle free
Public Liability for LPG Customer
- Every year, the companies or the insured purchase or renew the public liability for LPG customers. The consumer may avail of the benefit under the liability insurance.
- The consumers are required to inform the distributor of LPG in writing. The distributor shall inform the concerned authority or office of the oil company. At last, the oil company shall inform the cause to the insurance company in order to avail of the insurance policy coverage.
- It is important to note that during an unfortunate event, the registered customer shall be covered under the insurance policy. However, the consumer is required to produce the original certificate of death or report of post-mortem, in case of the demise of a victim.
- In addition, the surviving victim is expected to provide the medical bill, prescriptions made by the doctor, and other supporting documents, if necessary.
- In case of hospitalization, the customer must provide the discharge card, along with the documents substantiating the hospitalization of the person.
- The insurance company, under public liability insurance for LPG customers, shall appoint a surveyor to evaluate the liability in case of property damage.
Coverage under Public Liability Insurance for LPG Customer
The customer is entitled to the following coverage under the insurance policy.
- The customer may avail of INR 6,00,000 per person in case of the demise of individuals.
- With regard to medical expenses, the policy covers the expense of INR 30,00,000 for an event. Further, it offers INR 2,00,000 per person. However, INR 25,000 is granted as immediate relief to the victim.
- The insurance company shall grant INR 2,00,000 per event for the property damage.
Insured for 2022-23
The following persons are insured under the public liability policy for 2022-23.
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (Indian Oil Bhawan, G-9 Ali Yavar Jung Marg g, Bandra East, Mumbai, Maharashtra -400051)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (Bharat Bhawan,4 and 6 Carrimbhoy Road, Ballard Estate, Mumbai, Maharashtra -400001)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (Hindustan Bhawan, Ballard Estate, Fort, Mumbai Maharashtra -400001)
Exclusion of Public Liability Insurance for LPG Customer
The policy does not apply in the following cases:
- Any loss arises due to an earthquake, volcano, storm, flood, typhoon, etc or another similar event.
- A loss arises due to the willful and deliberate action of the customer. Further, no compensation shall be granted for noncompliance with the statutory provision or usage of poor-quality pipe as given in the guidelines.
- A loss of goodwill shall not be covered in the policy.
Legal Liability of Insurer
- The insurer owns a legal liability to indemnify the insured and pay the appropriate compensation as established by the court of law. However, the victim must follow the guidelines as provided by the insured.
- Any loss or damage sustained at the injured premises shall be compensated by the insurance company.
- The insured is expected to bear an excess of INR 10,000 for the bodily injury or death of an individual.
- Further, any dispute that arises in any clause shall be dealt with and subject to Indian law. The parties shall approach the court with competent jurisdiction within India.
Industries dealing with hazardous substance have a duty to the public. The public might be captivated by a tragedy or bodily injury. Hence, the public liability act mandates the owner to buy the insurance policy to discharge the third-party liability.