- 3500+ Cashless Garages across India
- 50 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 24X7 Roadside Assistance
- 100% Insurance Coverage on Service Invoice Price
We promise limited calls
Perfect Car Insurance for Your Next Road Trip in India
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 724 -
Modified 20 December 2017
Road trips are always exhilarating. Even if, Indian roads have nothing to brag about what with the million potholes, uneven terrain and speed bumps, nothing can curb a traveller’s enthusiasm to plan cross-country road trips. However, one should not discount the uncertain circumstances that are possible during your road trip, which make buying car insurance essential. An adequate car insurance plan protects you against unanticipated emergencies that may arise out of an accident.
The Term ‘Car Insurance’
Car insurance is a deal between the insured and the insurance company that covers the policyholders during a financial crisis, on the payment of a yearly premium. The premium for car insurance is decided at the time of buying a plan and is payable at the time of policy renewal to continue with the coverage. This is determined on the basis of a few factors such as the age of the vehicle, the age of the driver, location, capacity of the engine, make and model of the vehicle etc.
Mostly, general insurance companies across the country offer two types of car insurance plans:
Third party Liability Insurance:
This cover protects the insured against any liability that may arise out of accidental injury, death and damage to the property when the insured’ vehicle is at fault. However, the insured car or the policyholder is not covered under this plan.
Comprehensive Car Insurance:
As the name suggests, the Comprehensive Plan is an extensive cover that protects the insured vehicle during an accident or if a liability claim is filed. Moreover, it covers the insured car for the damages caused by natural or man-made calamities like theft, fire, earthquake, flood, terrorist activity, riot etc.
Why Do I Need Car Insurance?
- The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, has made it mandatory for all car owners to buy Third Party Liability Insurance. Without liability insurance, plying your vehicle on Indian roads is an offence.
- It is just like an additional health plan that covers you during any financial emergency that arises out of an accident. While Third Party Insurance covers the medical expenses and liability expenses claimed by a third party, Comprehensive Insurance includes both own-damage cost and third-party liability charge.
- By simply adding add-on covers to your existing car insurance, you can boost the policy coverage. Zero Depreciation Cover, Personal Accident Cover, Key Replacement Cover, Protection for No Claim Bonus (NCB), Engine Protection Cover etc. are some of the car insurance riders offered by various insurance companies in India.
If Planning Your Next Cross-country Road Trip: Your Check-list
- Be careful while choosing your ride. Despite being a good driver, you can’t estimate the extent of damage a pothole or speed bump can cause, especially in the winter and monsoon. Car manufacturers have already designed many makes and models of two-wheelers or cars that are suitable to cover a long-distance journey on Indian streets.
- Before kick-starting your journey, make sure you know the weather condition of your destination. India is a culturally diverse country and, its geography too, is no exception. The weather conditions vary from state to state, depending on the topography. So, it is necessary for the traveller to know the weather of a place to which he/she is travelling. Have you done your homework before heading to your dream place?
- Go for the options that sound economic like rather than hiring a car, you can opt for train or bus. Or, you can hire a bike or car for sightseeing. Meanwhile, you should not ignore the unforeseen events that may cause a threat to life and property or your lifetime savings. We hope you don’t ignore the bumpy reality and prepare for your trip with a suitable car insurance plan.
- Don’t forget to pack travel essentials including a first-aid kit, mobile charger, flashlight, power-bank, a few extra set of clothes and footwear etc.
- If you’re driving to the destination, make sure you keep a driving-partner to share the drive. Your driving duration on a road trip shouldn’t exceed 25% of the total trip period.
- Before you go on board, ensure that the vehicle is well-maintained and properly checked by the car mechanic. Don’t forget to carry spare car parts like a tire or a tool-kit. Also, get a list of the service centres that will fall in your way.
- A proper roadmap helps you plotting the routes. Avoid going off track. Carrying a working navigation is a saviour these days. You can set the navigation on your Smartphone or vehicle.
- It is helpful if you book the accommodation beforehand to avoid last minute rush.
- You might know that the car insurance you own will provide financial assistance during an accidental emergency, but it doesn’t cover you against any health-related So, if you are going to a place that is under constant threat, like Kashmir, consider buying travel insurance with health coverage, coverage for loss of baggage, flight delay etc.
- You should consider Personal Accident Cover as well. It is an additional benefit to your base car insurance policy. Your health insurance covers medical expenses only. But, a Personal Accident Cover pays lump sum amount in case of accidental death, permanent or partial disability of the insured. This comes up as a great financial assistance to the dependent relative, in case the insured is unable to earn an income due to his/her disability.
Should I Buy Car Insurance Online?
Thanks to the internet, we have access to buying insurance online as well. In fact, this is the safest and easiest way to insure yourself or your vehicle. You just need to visit the official website of the insurance companies, browse the various plans and get one. Insurance experts also suggest comparing various plans online. This is the best way to find an adequate plan. For instance, if you are looking for car insurance to insure your new Honda ZX. While browsing the various insurance companies and their plans, you somehow find Bajaj Allianz car insurance serves your insurance requirements the best. If the premium is a concern, you can save more by acting a little smartly here. Choosing higher deductibles, installing safety devices, enrolling in car associations or lowering the insurance coverage for your old car, avoiding making claims for minor damages, transferring the NCB while porting a plan and timely renewing the policy are the few ways to reduce the premium rate. To continuously enjoy insurance benefits, you must renew your plan before it lapses. Mostly, it is a one-year contract which is renewable online as well.
Whether you’re travelling from Mumbai to Goa or Guwahati to Tawang, the poor condition of Indian roads may throw lots of difficulties your way and restrain you from having a safe and enjoyable trip. So, don’t let anything wreck the excitement. Secure yourself and your vehicle with a car insurance plan and remain stress free throughout the trip!
- Most Read
- What to Keep in Mind When Buying Two wheeler insurance Policy for Your Sports Bike?
Date: 18 April 2018
- What Is Covered Under Third Party Car Insurance Policy?
Date: 28 March 2018
- What is Engine Protection Cover in Auto Insurance?
Date: 19 March 2018
- Everything You Need to Know About Theft Cover of Two Wheeler Insurance Plans
Date: 28 February 2018
- How a Zero-Dep Car Insurance Policy Benefits You during Claims?
Date: 20 February 2018
- Top 5 Motor Insurance Companies in India
Views : 242432
- What Everybody Ought to Know about Zero Depreciation Car Insurance Cover?
Views : 167346
- Insured Declared Value (IDV)
Views : 159466
- Renew Your Two Wheeler Break-in Insurance Policy at PolicyBazaar
Views : 153976
- Two Wheeler Insurance Plans
Views : 104120