7 Questions You Should Ask About Burglary Insurance
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 524 -
Modified 15 January 2019
A burglary at a home, office or shop can result in a huge financial loss if there is. You can cover the risk with a burglary insurance plan. However, a burglary and theft are two different things. You will have to buy insurance cover for theft and burglary separately.If you would like to make a burglary claim, there should be proof of forceful or violent entry into the premises. On the other hand ‘no forceful or violent entry’ is involved in case of theft.
So, you can purchase a cover to include burglary as well as theft so that both of them will be covered adequately.
Questions that You Should Ask
You should be aware of the important questions and their answers before buying the Burglary Insurance plan.
You should be aware of the plan coverage, extensions (riders), sum assured and exclusions. You can make or break a plan by choosing the riders. The best insurance plan will cover various risks prominently.
1. What is Covered?
Before buying burglary insurance, you should go through the terms and conditions of the policy. As you read the policy document, you will understand the risks covered by the policy and risks that are not covered by the policy.
- It is possible to buy a burglary insurance plan to cover your house or office.
- If there is damage to the premises through the burglary, it will be covered by the insurance policy.
- The inherent value lost in the promises after the burglary will be recovered by the payout made by the insurance company.
- The premium paid for burglary plan is based on various factors including premium policy claim history, security measures available at the premises, and nature of stocks/items at the premises.
2. What is not Covered by Burglary Insurance?
The following items are Not covered by the burglary plan:
- Precious metals (gold, silver, etc.)
- Share certificates
- Items that were stolen by family members
- Items that were stolen by employees
- Items that were stolen by housemaids
- Loss due to war, riots, strike, terrorist activities, and natural calamities
If you want to declare stocks or other items whose value will change as per the market conditions, you should declare the same in the insurance policy proposal form.
Under the Following Circumstances, your Claim will not be Accepted-
- If the premises were left unattended
- If the premises were not locked properly locked
- Failure to ensure security at the premises
- Planned burglary to make an insurance claim
3. Can I Reduce the Premium by Taking Preventive Measures?
The insurance premium received by the insurance company is based on the risk assessment that is done by the insurance company.
- By installing safety devices, you will not only take precautionary measures but will also reduce the insurance premium
- Burglary alarm can be installed at the premium to get discount on the cost of the insurance premium
- Installation of fencing
- Installation of CCTV cameras
4. Types of Policies that are Offered?
The insurance company offers various kinds of policies based on the type of coverage. You can buy a standard policy, declaration policy or a policy which offers the features of both standard and declaration. It is possible to buy an insurance policy to cover various stocks located at various locations.
5. Why Should you Take Note of Complete Information?
When filing a claim it is important to provide complete information to the insurance company.
- Every loss that occurs at the premises should be documented
- You should preserve the receipts and contracts in purchasing the products and preserving the property
- You can document the phone calls made to the insurance company as well
- The documents can be preserved in digital mode for enhanced safety and security
6. Does the Policy Cover the Difference Amount?
You can buy a policy to protect the value of the property or valuable so that the compensation will be at market price. You can opt for higher deductible so that the insurance premium will be low. By opting for comprehensive cover, all kinds of items will be covered. It is possible to restore the condition of the items or property to its original state by subscribing to optimum cover.
7. Why Should you Compare Burglary Insurance Plans?
By reading the online reviews, you can understand the features of various kinds of insurance policies offered by different insurance companies. It will help you in figuring out the best plans as per your needs.
Remember that the amount of sum assured will be equal to the market value of the loss of property or items. It will be calculated based on the current replacement value of items. The company includes allowance towards wear & tear, betterment, and obsoleteness. Hence, it is possible to recover the maximum amount by opting for an adequate cover.
Burglary insurance is imperative for small or large-scale business as it will help in recovering the loss or damage that took place within the premises of your business. As there are various kinds of insurance policies offered by reputed companies in India, you can choose the most appropriate policy that meets most of your needs.
- Most Read
- All you need to know about a Group Health Insurance Policy
Date: 03 January 2019
- What is Professional Indemnity Insurance?
Date: 22 March 2018
- What is Corporate Insurance & What are its Features and Benefits?
Date: 13 March 2018