How to File Your Commercial Vehicle Insurance Claim Correctly?
If you find yourself stuck in an accident, you should know what needs to be done next. An accident or collision can be financially and emotionally stressful. Once it is ensured that all the people that are involved are safe, the next thing that you need to is to file a commercial vehicle insurance claim. Read more
If you are able to communicate timely and effectively to your motor insurance provider then your claim will be settled quickly. Here are certain things that you need to be aware of. Have a quick rundown of the steps that you can follow after a collision or accident -
1. Inform the Police
In the event of an accident, the first and foremost thing that you should do is report the incidence to the police. It is mandatory to have a Police FIR report to initiate the claim process for commercial vehicle insurance.
The police will carry out an inspection at the place of incidence, check the damage caused to the vehicle as a part of the procedure.
2. Try to Record the Incident on Your Phone
Video shoot the incident or take some live pictures of any accidental injuries or damage that is caused to your vehicle. Note the details of the other vehicle and name and contact number of the people involved.
It will support your commercial vehicle insurance claim and will be helpful for verification.
3. Immediately Inform the Motor Insurance Provider
Once a police report is filed, the next step should be informing your motor insurance provider about the incident. Try to notify your insurance provider as early as possible.
If you share all the necessary details with your motor insurer about the incident the claim will be processed more effectively. Further to this, you will need to provide the documents required to initiate the claim process.
4. Read Your Policy Documents
It is recommended that you go through the insurance documents to have an idea about the benefits, coverage, and the limitations. If you have a prior understanding of what your policy has on offer, you will know the course of action that follows at the time of claim settlement. This will save you from any confusion at the time of filing a claim.
You May like to Read: Should You Opt for Zero Depreciation Or Comprehensive Commercial Vehicle Insurance?
When Should You File a Commercial Vehicle Insurance Claim?
Whenever there is an emergency or you find yourself stuck under the following circumstances, this is how you need to proceed-
1. When there is an accident resulting in physical injuries
Immediately call your motor insurance provider in case there are accidental injuries or collision. Before filing the claim, do not forget to assess the total loss or damage as per your vehicle insurance policy. Usually, all the motor insurance policies provide collision and accidental cover.
2. If there are damages caused to your commercial vehicle
If the damage is caused to another car or vehicle, and you are proved innocent the insurer will take care of any legal or financial liabilities as part of third-party liability insurance.
If the damage is caused to your commercial vehicle, the damage will be recompensed as part of a comprehensive motor insurance policy. Damages resulting due to man-made and natural calamities are covered under a comprehensive plan. It also includes third-party liability cover.
Dos of a commercial vehicle insurance claim –
When there is an accident -
- Make sure that you maintain your calm
- Alert the traffic with some warning signs
- Move your vehicle out of traffic to a safer place
- contact the police for minor accidents also
- For roadside assistance, contact your motor insurer at their helpline number
When the vehicle is sent for repair work-
- You can always drop the vehicle at the nearest network garage for repairs.
- If your commercial vehicle is immovable you can call the insurance provider for towing assistance and get your vehicle dropped to the garage.
- The motor surveyor will examine the damaged vehicle and it will be decided if the vehicle should be sent for repair or not. Usually, the authorization is provided within a day or two.
When the repair work is done or the claim procedure is completed-
- When your vehicle is fixed, you will be informed by the garage
- Either you can pick up your repaired vehicle or get it delivered to your doorstep.
- Once it is done, you can enjoy driving your motor vehicle
Some Tips That Should Help You
- Remember to assess the loss or damage and immediately inform the police
- Do not delay in informing your insurance provider about the accident If you want a quick settlement of claims
- Do not enter into an argument with the other driver, and leave the decision to the police
- For an hassle-free process, you must follow all the policy terms and conditions
You May like to Read: List of Motor Add-On covers Proposed to be filed with IRDA
If you are aware of the above afore-mentioned tips, then you can file a claim with any insurance provider in a hassle-free manner. But, it is suggested that you carefully read your policy terms and conditions at the time of policy purchase. It will make it easier for you to file the claim when an emergency strikes.
Secure your commercial vehicle
Renew via self video inspection
Lowest premium starting ₹ 3,211
Standard T&C Apply.
Commercial Vehicle insurance articles
16 Sep 2022Due to easy commutes, and low fares, the demand for
16 Sep 2022Buses are passenger-carrying heavy-duty commercial vehicles that
07 Sep 2022Auto rickshaws have been the best mode of last-mile connectivity
06 Sep 2022In India, you must have seen different types of commercial
27 Jul 2022If you are planning to buy a private bus for setting up a transport