What is Engine Protection Cover in Commercial Vehicle Insurance?
Engine protection cover can be purchased as an add-on cover with your comprehensive commercial vehicle insurance policy. With this add-on cover, you get coverage against losses and damages to the engine of your insured vehicle and its component. It compensates for the repair or replacement of your vehicle's engine or its parts. The damage to the engine or its parts can be the result of water ingression, lubricant oil leakage, etc. These causes can result in damage to the components of the engine such as pistons, gearbox, damage to the connecting rods, etc. In addition to this, damage to the engine can be due to hydrostatic lock which occurs when you start the engine of your vehicle. Read more
Let us take an example to understand this:
Suppose you own a taxi in Mumbai. Since the rains are unpredictable in Mumbai but it can cause severe loss to the engine of your commercial vehicle, if the water enters. Repair or replacement of the engine and its parts can be very costly. However, if you have engine purchased engine protection as an add-on cover for your taxi, then you do not have to worry about damage to the engine and its parts.
How to Purchase an Engine Protection Cover?
Even though the steps to purchase this add-on for your commercial vehicle can be different for different insurance providers, but the general steps to buying engine protection cover are mentioned below:
- Step 1: Go to the mobile app or website of your commercial vehicle insurance provider.
- Step 2: Select the option that says to buy or renew comprehensive commercial vehicle insurance.
- Step 3: You can be prompted to buy an add-on cover for your commercial vehicle insurance policy. Select this option. However, some insurers can have a specific tab for add-ons, if this is the case with your insurer, then go there and choose the engine protection cover option.
- Step 4: Pay the amount of the premium and get the rider added to your insurance policy instantly.
However, if you want, you can physically go to the office of your insurance provider and purchase this add-on from there.
Benefits and Features of an Engine Protection Cover for Commercial Vehicle
It is a rider or add-on to your commercial vehicle insurance policy hence it also has some additional benefits and features. The insurer reimburses the amount up to the value that is mentioned in your commercial vehicle insurance policy for all the expenses towards replacement or repair of the parts of the engine that are damaged. Mentioned below are some of the benefits and features of this add-on cover:
- Damage because of leakage of the lubricant oil in the engine is covered.
- Damages that occurred due to water entering the engine.
- Physical damages to the engine's components like pistons, gearbox, connecting rods, etc.
- Damages occur because of a hydrostatic lock that is caused when you are trying to start the car when the water is in the engine.
- It is very advantageous if your commercial vehicle has to run in places where the chances of heavy rain are more and places where flooding is an issue.
- It is also advantageous when you have purchased a new car or you own an expensive car as the bill for engine replacement or repair can be expensive.
Exclusions of an Engine Protection Add-On
- Damages are caused because of regular wear and tear.
- The replacement and repair are performed without informing the insurance provider.
- Damages to the components of the engine and to the engine itself while you are driving under the influence of an intoxicating substance or alcohol.
- The damage was caused because of an accident and the driver is found to be underage.
- Damage causing an accident and the driver does not have a valid driving license.
- Losses, damages, or corrosions because of water ingression because of the delay in informing the insurance provider.
- Any claims that are under the warranty period of the car manufacturer or are under any recall scheme.
- Lubricants cost if the claim for flushing or leakage of consumables.
- Any repairs that are carried out in the vehicle without informing the insurance provider.
How to Claim Commercial Vehicle Insurance for Engine Protection Add-On?
For raising a claim for repair or replacement of any of the components of your commercial vehicle's engine, follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Inform your insurance provider about the loss or damage to your vehicle's engine damage as soon as possible after the accident or mishap.
- Step 2: The insurer will assign a surveyor for accessing the damage for settling the claim.
- Step 3: You may get the reimbursement for the bill of repair or replacement of any part of the engine like connecting rods, pistons, gearbox, etc.
Who Should Purchase an Engine Protection Add-On?
An engine protection add-on cover should be purchased by the following people:
- If your commercial vehicle is being used in a flood-prone area or the places where the chances of flooding are high.
- If the taxi you are using comes under the category of luxury cars, whose engines are very expensive to replace or repair.
- If you do not want to take any chance and want to avoid financial risks for your commercial vehicle, then engine protection cover offers an extra layer over commercial vehicle insurance.
Commercial Vehicle's Engine Maintenance Tips:
Despite taking all the possible measures to protect your commercial vehicle in the form of a commercial vehicle insurance policy, you must keep the following tips in mind to maintain the engine of your commercial vehicle:
- Check the levels of engine oil on regular basis for avoiding any unwanted damages to the internal components of your commercial vehicle.
- Never miss the service of your commercial vehicle. Go for the service of your taxi or another vehicle regularly.
- Never stress the engine of your commercial vehicle unnecessarily by overheating or accelerating it. This can result in irreplaceable damages.
The Final Words!
The engine of your vehicle is one of the crucial parts and any damage to its components can result in heavy damage. So, to avoid it you must maintain your commercial vehicle properly. In addition to this, purchasing an engine protection add-on is the best rider that you can purchase for your commercial vehicle.
Secure your commercial vehicle
Renew via self video inspection
Lowest premium starting ₹ 2,072
Standard T&C Apply.
Commercial Vehicle insurance articles
18 May 2022Third party motor insurance pool came into existence on 1st April...
16 May 2022A smart truck is heavy machinery that offers both power and...
13 May 2022With the rising air pollution, there is a rise in the demand for...
09 May 2022Tata Motors is one of the popular and favourite commercial vehicle...
05 May 2022Buying or selling a used truck involves a lot of effort. During...