Engine Protection Add-On In Two-Wheeler Insurance
Owning a bike comes with plenty of responsibilities. It is not just the servicing of the bike but you have to get it insured under a third-party insurance plan to fulfill the legal liability. If you want to protect the bike from own damages then you will have to purchase comprehensive insurance that comes with a set of coverage. However, if you are not satisfied with the existing coverage of your insurance policy then you can opt for the available add-on covers. One such add-on cover is an engine protection add-on cover.Read more
Engine Protection Add-On: What Is It?
The engine is the most important part of the bike and it is nothing but a piece of metal without it. This is why it can be expensive to get it repaired in case of damage caused due to water ingression during the flood or any road accident causing oil leakage. While repairing an engine is not an easy job, it can cost you a lot and that is where you would require insurance that can provide cover for the repairing of a damaged engine.
This is where the Engine protection add-on comes in. The engine is not covered under the comprehensive insurance plan, you can opt for it by paying an extra amount. This add-on will provide financial aid for the repairing and replacement of the engine caused due to leakage of oil, lubricant, coolant, etc.
For instance, you live in a city that is prone to floods. That day arrives and floods the whole area and enters your house. Once the water reaches the height of your bike engine, it can damage the engine and later on it would require a thorough check-up. If you have the engine protection add-on then the insurer will provide coverage for the repairing of the engine but if you do not have this add-on then you will have to pay for it out of pocket.
Features & Benefits Of Engine Protection Add-On
The engine protection cover comes with several features and benefits. They are as follows:
- Financial Aid: Securing your bike’s engine with the engine protection add-on can provide you financial aid as you would not have to pay the hefty bill coming after the repairing or replacement of the engine.
- Enhanced Coverage:If you are not satisfied with the existing coverage and want to cover your bike’s engine then this add-on can enhance the coverage of your two-wheeler insurance plan.
- Quick Recovery:Financial instability can delay the recovery of your damaged bike’s engine in case it gets damaged, being insured with this add-on can provide cover for the repairing and you would not have to worry about the financial instability as the insurer will pay for it on your behalf.
- Peace of Mind:With this add-on, you can have peace of mind as you won’t have to pay for the repairing or replacement of the damaged engine.
What Is Covered Under Engine Protection Add-On?
Engine protection add-on provides cover for the following:
- Water Ingression: In case the engine of the bike gets damaged due to water ingression caused during flood then the insurer will provide cover for the repairing or replacement of the engine.
- Lubricant Leakage:The insurer will provide coverage for the damage caused to the engine of the bike due to lubricant leakage.
- Physical Damage:If the bike’s engine sustains any kind of damage caused during an accident then the insurer will provide cover for it.
- Engine Failure:In case the engine fails during an attempt to start when it is wet, then the insurer will provide coverage for it.
What Is Not Covered Under Engine Protection Add-On?
The engine protection add-on does not provide coverage for the following:
- Regular Wear & Tear: The insurer will not provide cover for the damage caused to the bike’s engine due to regular wear and tear.
- Drunk Driving: The insurer will not provide coverage to the policyholder for the repairing or replacement of the damaged bike’s engine if the insured is found riding the two-wheeler under the influence of alcohol.
- Under Influence of Drugs: The insurer will not provide coverage to the insured if the damage took place if the insured is found riding the bike under the influence of drugs.
- Not Carrying Valid License: If the insurer finds out that the insured was not riding the two-wheeler with a driving license.
- Not Carrying Insurance: The insurer will not provide coverage if the insured is found driving the bike without an insurance policy.
- Illegal Racing: If the insurer finds out that the insured was participating in illegal racing when the accident took place that led to the damage of the engine.
- Not Informing the Insurer: The insurer will not provide coverage for the damage caused to the bike’s engine if the insured does not inform them before getting it repaired.
- Not Intimating The Insurer:The insurer will not provide any coverage if the insured delay in intimating with the insurer.
- Flushing Of Consumables:The insurer will not provide cover for the cost of lubricants or oil caused because of the flushing of any consumables from the bike’s engine.
- Manufacturer’s Warranty:The insurer will not provide cover for the claim that is already covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Insurance Plan Lapsed:The insurer will not provide any kind of coverage if the insured does not renew the insurance plan on time.
How To Raise Claim Under Engine Protection Add-On?
The main purpose of purchasing this add-on is to get the claim as smoothly as possible. So here are the steps that you can follow to get the claim for the engine damage:
- Inform Insurer: First of all, you need to inform your insurer about the damage caused to the engine of the bike whether it happened in an accident or due to a natural calamity such as a flood.
- Take Photos/Videos:You can take the picture of the damaged engine or record a video while trying to start your bike. You can keep this as proof and also send it to the insurer using online methods such as email or WhatsApp.
- Keep Documents Ready: To raise a claim and initiate the process, you are required to submit a set of documents along with the claim form, hence it is suggested to keep those documents ready so that the process can begin as soon as possible.
- Surveyor’s Visit: Once you have informed the insurer about the damage, they will send an inspector/surveyor to visit the site and check your bike’s engine and its current condition. Make sure to assist them as they will be informing the insurance company later to begin the claiming process.
- Compensation:Once the inspection is done and the insurer gets satisfied with the claim raised then they will initiate the claim and you will get the coverage amount in a few days.
Why Should You Purchase Engine Protection Add-On?
Engine protection add-on provides cover for the loss or damage caused to the bike’s engine in a road accident or due to natural calamity. Here are a few reasons to purchase the engine protection add-on:
- If you live in an area that is prone to a natural calamity such as a flood.
- If you have purchased a superbike that is expensive and the repairing or replacements of the parts of that bike could put a big hole in your pocket.
- If you want to protect yourself from major financial losses.
Q1: Will the comprehensive insurance plan provide coverage for the loss or damage caused to the engine?
Ans: A comprehensive insurance plan comes with a specified set of coverage but it does not provide cover for the damage caused to the engine of the bike. You will have to purchase the engine protection add-on separately to get insured for the unforeseen loss or damage caused to the bike’s engine.
Q2: Will the insurer provide cover if the insurer finds out that I was riding the bike under the influence of alcohol?
Ans: No, the insurer will not provide coverage for the damage caused to the bike’s engine if they find out that you were driving the bike under the influence of alcohol.
Ans: Yes, the insurer will provide cover for the damage caused due to the ingression of water.
Q4: What if I try to start the bike when there is a suspension of water ingression in the engine and it damages the engine even more?
Ans: If you inform the insurer before getting the bike fixed then they will surely provide cover for the damaged engine repairing as well as replacement.
Q5: If the bike’s engine gets damaged during an illegal racing, will the insurer provide cover for it repairing or replacement?
Ans: No, the insurer will not provide cover for the damage caused to the bike’s engine if they find out that the damage took place during the participation in an illegal racing.
Two Wheeler insurance articles
03 Dec 2021A road accident took place in Ludhiana, Punjab that led to the...
28 Oct 2021The Road Transport Ministry has ruled out a draft making the...
08 Sep 2021Purchasing a bike is dream come true for many. When you...
01 Mar 2021There are billions of people in this world and every other...
03 Feb 2021Riding a bike is not only cool and exciting in India, but they...