What is the Vehicle Registration Number?
The vehicle registration number of any vehicle plying on India's roads is its legal and official identity number. The Regional Transport Office (RTO) is the authority that issues a registration number to every newly purchased vehicle.
However, it is the vehicle owner's responsibility to register their new vehicle at their district RTO within one month from the date of purchase. A unique number, also known as a permanent vehicle registration number, is given as soon as the two-wheeler is registered.
This registered number is displayed on the dedicated plate on the back and in front of the vehicle. Also, there is an authorised structure of the registration number that might differ from one vehicle to another.
Therefore, a vehicle registration number is used to identify a vehicle specifically. It comprises numbers and letters, wherein the first two letters indicate the Indian state code, and the second two letters show the district code. The next letters show the current series of RTOs, and the last four represent the unique vehicle number.
For example: DL 3CCN 4564
This numbering system simplifies identifying, tracking, and searching for a vehicle.
How to Check Bike Insurance Details by Vehicle Number?
A registration number is a unique number given to a two-wheeler. It is used to check the details of the linked two-wheeler. If you want to know the policy end date and do not have the policy number, you can follow the below steps to retrieve the two-wheeler insurance by vehicle number:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the State Transport Department/RTO/Ministry of Road Transport & Highways.
- Step 2: Enter the vehicle registration number, and all the motor insurance policy details will be displayed here.
- Step 3: You can also use the website of the Insurance Information Bureau, which IRDA regulates, to get the details for the bike insurance policy.
Any of these websites can provide the registration number. Moreover, you can easily find information like- policy validity/expiry date and other related bike details.
Buy or Renew Bike Insurance by Vehicle Number
While purchasing or renewing a two-wheeler or bike insurance policyonline, the insured needs to provide their registration number.
Once the insurance policy is purchased, the details of it get attached to the vehicle's registration number. Also, it can easily be accessed by the RTO, central government, and state government.
What Happens When You Don't Have a Vehicle Registration Number Also?
The registration number of a vehicle is the same as the number mentioned on the number plate. Hence, one can quickly check their bike's number plate to know its registration number.
This number can be found on the bike's Registration Certificate (RC) in case of theft of a bike.
Other Methods to Find Bike Insurance Policy Details
All the information related to the comprehensive bike insurance policycan be easily recovered by contacting the insurance provider. One must give the insurer as many details as possible to verify the owner.
Once the details are verified, the insurance company issues the duplicate bike insurance policy. However, the insurance company might allocate some fees for issuing a duplicate insurance policy.
Sometimes, it might be necessary to print a declaration of the lost two-wheeler insurance policy in the newspaper and share it with the insurance provider. In various cases, the lost policy declaration must be provided on the indemnity bond paper, a non-judicial stamp paper.
You may also read Three Easy Ways to Check Bike Insurance Expiry Date Online
How to Download Bike Insurance by Vehicle Number?
In this digital era, finding your bike insurance details is simpler. If the physical copy of your bike insurance policy is misplaced or stolen, you can follow the below steps to obtain it:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of your insurance provider.
- Step 2: Login to your account using your vehicle registration number, username & password, whichever is available.
- Step 3: Access your bike insurance policy details once logged in and select the bike insurance policy you need.
- Step 4: Click on the download policy or similar option like this to get a PDF copy of your bike insurance by vehicle number.
- Step 5: After downloading the bike insurance policy documents, you can print it out for a physical copy.
Why Should You Perform a Bike Insurance Check by Vehicle Number?
It is vital to perform a bike insurance check to maintain and manage. Here are prominent reasons why one should regularly do a bike insurance check:
- Bike insurance checks by vehicle number help verify all the details mentioned in the policy documents. If there is any discrepancy, it can be rectified in time.
- It helps you know the policy status, whether active or expired.
- Besides, you can also assess whether the policy coverage is adequate depending on your current needs & preferences.
- You gear up for bike insurance renewal on time, making the process smooth, as you will be aware of renewal dates & requirements.
- Timely bike insurance checks help you understand all the terms & conditions of the policy. Ultimately, it gives you a surety of what is covered and not, avoiding further surprises when raising/settling claims.
Few Interesting Facts about Vehicle Registration Number of Bikes in India
The vehicle registration number is valid for 15 years after purchasing the vehicle. After that, the motor vehicle is needed to be re-registered for five years. In this way, after 15 years, the vehicle should be registered every five years.
- The registration of a vehicle issued in one Indian state is valid in all other states of India.
- A vehicle's re-registration depends on the age of the vehicle, road compatibility, and pollution emission norms.
- However, if one moves a vehicle registered in one state to another, they must register it to the state transport department within one year.
For example, if one has moved their vehicle from Uttar Pradesh to Haryana, after completing 12 months, they have to register their vehicle in Haryana.
The bottom line!
As per the Indian road law, it is illegal to ride any bike on the roads of India without insurance. One should at least have a third-party bike insurance policy. However, the bike insurance policy can easily be retrieved through different means, but one should keep a photocopy of the bike insurance plan with them.
Two Wheeler insurance articles
03 Nov 2023Bike insurance is an essential financial safety net in case of
03 Nov 2023Among all the bike insurance add-ons available in the market
25 Oct 2023When claiming on your bike insurance policy, you always look for
17 Oct 2023Tropical cyclones are prevalent, causing a huge loss of human
13 Oct 2023For two-wheeler owners, adequate coverage is crucial to keep