According to Statistics
As per the data released by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) disaster management department, there have been a total of 1,810 incidents of buildings as well as houses in the span of 4 years in which around 99 people have died and 376 people have been injured between 2018 and 2021.
Well, these stats are from one city only, now you all can imagine how many cases of the collapsed building would take place in the entire country. However, what would be the reason behind the collapse of these buildings?
Reasons Behind Building Collapses
There can be several reasons behind building and house collapses. Let’s have a look at them below:
- If the building or the house is older than 70-80 years and the material used in that building is crumbling then there are high chances of that building will collapse.
- If the house is located in a densely populated area where the houses and buildings have been constructed without following the safety guidelines.
- If the building has been constructed illegally without following the safety measures while construction.
- If the builder has used poop quality construction material then the building becomes prone to collapse.
- If the building has not been maintained properly that led to the crumbling of the structure would make a building proneto collapse.
- Sometimes construction firms do not hire skilled and trained labourers who are not familiar with construction techniques, this would lead to a poor building or house structure making it prone to collapse.
- Earthquakes and floods can also collapse not just a poorly built building but also the best ones.
Ways To Handle Building Collapse
There are several reasons behind the collapse of buildings such as improper structural placements, unstable design or use of poor quality material. If the builders make sure to use good quality material and monitor these issues during the construction then building collapses can be curbed.
In case the building collapses due to natural calamities such as earthquakes or floods. To tackle such scenarios, here are a few points you can note down.
- In case you notice that a building is collapsing then you should get out of the building as quickly as possible.
- If a part of a building has collapsed then it is advised to get out in an open space to avoid any kind of injury.
- Be aware that there is no gas leak in the building.
- Be aware of any electrical hazard due to the damage caused to the building.
- Make sure that everybody in the building is out and avoid using elevators.
Insurance As Back-up
There are many insurance companies out there in the market providing home/building insurance policies. As per the insurance industry experts, purchasing a home insurance or building insurance policy works as the backup option so make sure to purchase one.
Also, instead of having a traditional approach, make sure to have a smart approach of purchasing the insurance policy. It means that purchasing the insurance policy online instead of offline comes with several benefits.
Benefits of Online Purchase
Purchasing the insurance policy comes with several benefits and they are as follows:
- You can choose a home insurance policy in the comfort of your home.
- You can compare different plans on your computer screen and choose the best one that suits your requirements.
- Insurance companies offer premium calculator tools that you can use to calculate the premium of your desired insurance plan.
- You can learn about your insurance policy in detail along with the terms and conditions.
- No middle man such as insurance agents and you can save their fee as well.
It is advised to use the best quality building material to construct a building. Even though the natural calamities are inevitable and can collapse the strongest building to the ground. To protect yourself financially in case of a building collapse, purchasing a building insurance policy is a must. It would not only protect you financially but also bring peace to your mind.
Written By: PolicyBazaar - Updated: 10 May 2022