This scheme is a conditional cash transfer scheme that aims at improving the well-being and status of the girl child in West Bengal through incentivizing schooling of all minor girls and discouraging their marriage until the age of 18. West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana was designed on 8thMarch 2013 by the Department of Women Development and Social Welfare, Government of West Bengal. This scheme aims to improve and progress the girl child's status.
Eligibility for West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa
There are specific eligibility criteria for an applicant who wants to apply for the West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa. This is accessible to only those girls who fulfil the conditions listed below.
- The girl child should be a resident of West Bengal, and she should not be married.
- Girls from the age group 13-18 years belonging to those families whose annual income is below Rs.1,20,000/- can apply. The capping on annual income is invalid for that girl child whose parents are no more, or either parent is 40% (or more) physically challenged.
- The applicant girl child should be a student pursuing regular education or undertaking any form of vocational or sports training.
- Any girl child from eighteen to nineteen years from Child Care institutes, which are enlisted under J.J.Act of 2000 can apply.
- She should complete the age of 18 years on or after 1st April 2013 for the one-time grant amount.
The scheme covers approximately eighteen lakh girls students every year for annual scholarships every year and, on average, 3.5 lakh girls every year for a one-time grant lump sum.
Features of West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
The features of WestBengal Kanyashree Prakalpaare as follows:
- West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme aims to help the girls in the state of West Bengal financially in order to make them complete their education.
- The main motive of the scheme is to put an end to child marriage and promote her education till she becomes 18 years of age.
- This scheme targets to improve the status of girls in West Bengal.
- This scheme states that the beneficiary girl child will get Rs.750/- as financial help per year.
- This financial support is given to those girls who either are in classes from eighth to 12th or are in the age group 13 years to 18 years.
- West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme also states that when a beneficiary girl turns 18, she will be provided Rs.25,000 as a one-time grant.
- The money thus given is directly transferred to the beneficiary girl's bank account.
- One of the conditions necessary for this scheme is that the girl’s family income should lie below Rs.1,20,000/- annually, but it is waived for those girls who are orphans or whose either parent is no more or girls with special needs or from J.J. homes.
Benefits/Advantages of West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
This scheme centres its focus on providing proper education and uplifting the status of the girl child. It has been brought into action particularly for supporting the socio-economically backward families having a girl child.
- The main benefit of this scheme is discouraging the prevalent concept of early marriage and making sure that laws regarding the minimum age marriage laws are adequately followed by each and every family in the state.
- Another benefit is providing scholarships in the field of education in order to encourage the continuity of girl's education at the Secondary and the Higher Secondary level.
- Since the main motive of this scheme is to provide financial help to girls as well as empower these adolescent girls in making their own decisions about the utilization of the money as the money is deposited in girls' accounts.
- An additional benefit of this scheme is reinforcing the concept of delayed marriage and increase in education of girls in the state.
- Due to this scheme, girls are married only after completion of education which is beyond 18 years. Hence, Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) and Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) are relatively decreasing.
It is seen that the longer the duration of time the girls remain enrolled in schools, the more they utilize the opportunity to gain more and more knowledge to become financially independent by becoming career-oriented. The knowledge thus attained by her might prove to be beneficial in her own well-being throughout life.
As a matter of fact, the West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa is divided into two components:
Firstly, a scholarship of Rs. 1000 is given annually to each beneficiary girl. However,way back in 2013-14, the scholarship amount given was Rs.500/- that is now increased to Rs.1000/-. This sum is granted to unmarried girls who are in the age group (13 to 18 years) and fulfil the following conditions:
- The beneficiary girl should be studying in any class between VIII to XII.
- She should be a student of any government recognized school or institution.
- She can be a student of any open school.
- She can apply if she is pursuing any vocational course or training in any form of sports or is a resident of a home that is registered under the J.J. Act 2000.
Secondly, the beneficiary is to get a one-time grant of a lump sum of Rs. 25000/- at the time of the beneficiary girl turning 18 years of age.
The process to Purchase West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
The girl who is eligible beneficiary for the Kanyashree Scheme has to undergo the following process in order to apply for the scheme to process to get all the benefits of the West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme:
- Firstly, the application form has to be collected from the institution where the girl is studying. After obtaining the application form from the respective school or institution K1 form has to be filled and submitted for the annual scholarship. Then the K2 form has to be filled and submitted for getting a one-time grant.
- The forms need to be filled in very carefully, thereby ensuring that all the information that is filled in, like name, age, bank details, income details, etc. are correct.
- The next step is collecting all the below-mentioned documents and then attesting, attaching, and submitting them along with the filled application form.
- Now, this filled application form needs to be submitted to the school or institution of the girl child. The head teacher of the institution will sign therein and stamp the same accordingly. The beneficiary girl is then given an acknowledgement receipt, which has to be kept carefully as it contains the form number, name, age, and other essential details of the beneficiary girl child.
- The girl child (beneficiary) should have a bank account in her name because the entire amount will be deposited directly in that account.
Documents Required ForWest Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
The documents required are:
- Ration card
- Birth certificate
- Aadhar card
- Residence certificate
- Income certificate
- Educational certificates
- Details of bank account details
- Photograph of passport size
- Declaration statement regarding the unmarried status of the beneficiary girl
- Proof that the girl's family income does not exceed Rs.1,20,000/-
- Certificate for Disability, if the girl is disabled
- Declaration Statement by the said Guardian stating that both parents of the girl child have expired together with the deceased parents' Death certificate.
- Bank passbook showing the beneficiary girl child’s name, her account number, and her address.
The West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme has two parts:
Annual Scholarship of Rs. 1000/- (Rupees one thousand only)
One time lump sum Grant of Rs. 25,000/- (Rupees Twenty-five thousand only)
The Annual Scholarship is for those unmarried girls who are in the age group 13-18 years and who are in classes VIII-XII in any of the government recognized open or regular schools or pursuing any equivalent vocational or technical training course in an institution.
The One-time Grant is provided to those girls who have turned 18 years of age at the time of enrollment, application, and studying in any government recognized open or regular school or college or getting any technical or vocational training or any sports activity trainee or is an inmate of a home registered under J.J. Act 2000.
Both benefits under this scheme will be provided to those girls whose family income is not more than Rs. 1, 20,000/- (Rupees One Lakh and twenty thousand ) annually. This condition for the family income does not apply if the girl has lost both her parents or is an inmate of J.J. Home, or is 40% or more disabled.
As is known that child marriage leaves a negative impact on the lives of involved adolescent children, this scheme has been started to bring about a radical change in their financial and educational status, health (significantly facilitating the prevention of infant and maternal mortality) and thereby contributing towards the girls’ empowerment in the State of West Bengal, and bring about immense benefits for the larger society as a whole.
Terms and Conditions
There are no terms and conditions available
No such exclusion.
A1. No, people living outside West Bengal cannot get benefits under the scheme.
A2. The following steps are to be followed while checking the status of an application for the Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana:
- Step 1: One needs to log in to the Kanyashree Portal
- Step 2: Select the "Track Application" button on the website
- Step 3: One needs to fill up all the necessary details like year of application, application id, scheme type, and DOB. Click on the button for "Submit".
Once the application of this scheme is approved, the money would be deposited in the bank account of the girl child.
A3. No, a domicile certificate is not necessary for the West Bengal Kanyashree Prakalpa.
A4. All girls who are between the age of 13 and 19 years old with a family's annual income up to a maximum of Rs 120000/-
Girls who are attending institutions regularly for vocational, sports training or education
Girls who are in Child Care Institutes which are registered under the J.J. Act who are between 18 and 19 years of age
For the single grant, girls that have completed 18 years of age after or on first April 2013.
A5. The procedure for lodging Grievances is as following:
- First of all, one has to visit the Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme's official website.
- The applicant will see the home page opened in front of her.
- On the homepage, one needs to click on the option online grievance.
- No one needs to click on the button 'submit your grievance.'
- Now one needs to enter one's Kanyashree application I.D. and year of application.
- After that, the show button has to be clicked.
- Then a grievance form will be visible to the applicant.
- The applicant is required to enter all the details asked for in this form.
- Now, the submit button is to be clicked.
A6. The procedure is as follows:
- Firstly, one needs to open the homepage of the official website of the Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme.
- On the homepage, one needs to click on 'online grievance.'
- Now one is required to click on the button 'status of redressal.'
- A new page will be displayed where one has to enter the Captcha code and grievance I.D.
- Now the button check is to be clicked.
- Grievance status will be shown on the computer screen.
A7. Around 18 lakh girls get annual scholarships every year. Around 3.5 lakh girls have single grants per year.
A8. In the month of June 2017, the United Nations conferred Kanyashree Scheme with the highest public service award. The Kanyashree scheme was considered among the top welfare schemes while it was competing with 552 social welfare schemes from 62 countries nominated for the award.
A9. 14 August is observed as Kanyashree Day every year.
Written By: PolicyBazaar - Updated: 09 July 2021