6 Tips to Make Your Home Insurance Claim Process Easier
In today’s uncertain times, it has become imperative to buy a home insurance policy that would take proper care of the structure and content of your house. It is designed to safeguard your pocket in case of any emergency like fire or burglary etc. What really worries most customers is the claiming process. It sounds tricky especially when it is your turn to file a claim. Well, this article will help you to reduce your claims related anxieties. Here are some steps, which should be followed at the time of making a claim.
- Read carefully the fine print on your policy that details the inclusions and exclusions and clearly defines what can be claimed for and what cannot. An individual must know what is covered because there are home insurance policies that cover some specific damages only. There is no point in claiming for things your policy doesn’t cover. It will just delay the claim.
- Storing your bills and documents safely- Always keep a safe collection of all bills and documents related to the purchase of your valuables. If unable to stock any evidence, you can click pictures of your valuables and their purchase documents with serial numbers and save them online in a cloud based service like Dropbox etc. Don’t forget to mention the date of purchase and value at the time of purchase. At the time of making a claim, you cannot expect any approval unless you have all the documents in place. When you purchase a home insurance policy, create a list of all your key possessions. Don’t forget to click pictures of your belongings as a proof to justify your claim amount.
- On annual basis, create a written inventory of all your household goods from jewelry to electronic equipment. The new sheet should be deposited to the insurance company for their records.
- You can fill the claim form online and request the customer service department for the same. Do enter the appropriate details for easy evaluation of claim with correct contact details.
- Fill out the claim form carefully and ensure that you don’t make any silly errors that will lead to bureaucratic delays later.
- Don’t forget to follow up with the insurance company after you have made the claim.
Whether your house is affected by fire, flood or burglary, home insurance gives you hope and makes sure you can rebuild it brick by brick. Follow these tips and confidently make your claim so the restoration of your home can begin at once.