NPS Tax Benefit

Are you planning to invest in the government launched the National Pension Scheme? It is known for its short form i.e. NPS. Lately, the benefits of NPS have been in the limelight, and not to forget the tax saving benefits that this scheme offers.

Read more
  • Peaceful Post-Retirement Life

  • Tax Free Regular Income

  • Wealth Generation to beat Inflation

We are rated~
rating
6.7 Crore
Registered Consumers
51
Insurance Partners
3.4 Crore
Policies Sold

Invest ₹6,000/month & Get Tax Free Monthly Pension of ₹60,000

Get the best returns & make the most of your Golden years

+91
Secure
We don’t spam
Please wait. We Are Processing..
Your personal information is secure with us
Plans available only for people of Indian origin By clicking on "View Plans" you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of use #For a 55 year on investment of 20Lacs #Discount offered by insurance company
Get Updates on WhatsApp
We are rated~
rating
6.7 Crore
Registered Consumers
51
Insurance Partners
3.4 Crore
Policies Sold
Pension Funds
Pension Funds Most Popular
Fund Name
AUM
Returns (in %)
3 Year
5 Year
10 Year
11,839 Cr
Returns
21.83%
Returns
23.81%
Highest Return
Returns
19.95%
Get Details
6,136 Cr
Returns
26.84%
Returns
27.87%
Highest Return
Returns
18.81%
Get Details
4,172 Cr
Returns
21.74%
Highest Return
Returns
20%
Returns
17.43%
Get Details
36,694 Cr
Returns
19.19%
Returns
19.75%
Highest Return
Returns
16%
Get Details
6,189 Cr
Returns
20.54%
Highest Return
Returns
19.61%
Returns
15.8%
Get Details
13,189 Cr
Returns
16.56%
Returns
16.97%
Highest Return
Returns
14.51%
Get Details
3,062 Cr
Returns
17.13%
Highest Return
Returns
16.15%
Returns
13.6%
Get Details

Below mentioned are some of the important points that you need to consider before investing in NPS.

Tax saving Benefit under NPS at the Time of Investing

The investments that are made in the NPS are eligible for tax exemption benefits under three section of the income tax act of 1961:

  • Section 80CCD (1)

  • 80CCD (2)

  • 80 CCD (1b)

NPS Tax saving Benefit for Tier 1 Account

NPS Contribution Section Tax Deduction Limit  
Employee’s Contribution 80CCD(1) 10% of salary, max up to Rs.1.5 lakh under Section 80C
Self-contribution to NPS 80CCD(1B) Rs.50,000 In addition to 80C + 80CCD(2)
Employer’s Contribution 80CCD(2) 10% of salary (no monetary limit) In addition to 80C and 80CCD(2)

Employee’s contribution Section 80CCD (1)

The contributions that you make towards the NPS Tier-I account are eligible for tax benefits u/s 80CCD (1). At present, the tax benefits are available on a maximum contribution of Rs. 1.5 lakh towards NPS Tier-I account in a financial year. The deposited amount will be deducted from gross total income before deriving the final taxable income, thus reducing your overall tax liability.

The maximum tax saving limit is Rs. 1.5 lakh and deposits above that will not be eligible for a tax deduction. However, there is no limit on the maximum amount that can be deposited in the Tier-I NPS account.

And this deduction will be considered in the overall tax limit of section 80C of the I-T Act. As per the current income tax laws maximum deduction of Rs. 1.5 lakh is permissible under the purview of sections 80C, 80CCC, and 80CCD (1). Basically, if the total tax deduction of Rs. 1.5 lakh has been filed u/s 80CCD (1), then it is not possible to claim it simultaneously under section 80C.

Self-contribution to NPS Section 80CCD (1b)

In addition to the above tax-benefits, you could claim an additional deduction of Rs. 50,000 on your NPS contributions under 80CCD (1b). However, this additional contribution is over and above Section 80CCD (1) and 80CCD (2). The deposited amount can be claimed for tax deduction from gross total income while computing total taxable income.

And if one opts for the new tax income this additional ₹50,000 deduction u/s 80CCD (1B) won’t be available. Tier 2 accounts are also not eligible to claim tax deduction u/s 80CCD (1B).

Employer’s Contribution Section 80CCD (2)

Tax benefits are offered under section 80CCD (2) for the employer’s contribution on behalf of an individual towards his/her NPS Tier-I account. The maximum contribution that an employer can make from an individual’s salary is 10 per cent of the basic salary plus dearness allowance. This has now increased to 14% for the central government employees.

The deposited amount can be further claimed for deduction from gross total income before calculating the total tax liability. Also, the tax deduction u/s 80CCD (2) is over and above the tax-benefits available u/s 80CCD (1).

Budget 2019 also allows tax benefits on NPS contributions made by the central government employees towards the NPS Tier II account, provided there is a lock-in period of 3 years.

People also read: best pension plan in india

New Tax Regime: Payment Received from NPS

As per the new proposed budget 2020, the employee's own contribution does not qualify for tax benefits. Only the employer’s contribution to the employee’s account qualifies for deduction u/s 80CCD (2). The deductions can be claimed on the lump sum maturity amount.  

It further allows 60% of withdrawals from the NPS Tier- I account on maturity from which the remaining 40% has to be utilized in the annuity plans. Furthermore, partial withdrawals up to a specific limit and the lump sum payment received from the NPS at the time of closure qualify for tax benefits in the new regime.

People also calculate: NPS Pension Calculator

Points to remember

  • Additional deduction of Rs. 50,000/- is qualified for contributions made towards NPS Tier 1 accounts

  • Deductions u/s 80CCD (1B) are not permissible for Tier 2 accounts

  • Deductions u/s 80CCD (1B) are available to self-employed individuals and salaried

  • The total exemption limit u/s 80CCD(1B) is Rs. 50,000/- and is in addition to exemptions u/s 80 C. You can claim an additional deduction of  Rs. 2 lakh

  • In the case of partial withdrawals, only 25% of the contribution is exempted from tax

  • If an employee ( assesse) decides to opt out of NPS or close it, then only 40% of the total corpus is exempted from tax

  • If the age of the assesse is 60 years then up to a maximum of 60% of the corpus can be withdrawn as tax-free income. For the remaining 40% to be tax-free it needs to be directed towards annuities

*All savings are provided by the insurer as per the IRDAI approved insurance plan.
*Tax benefit is subject to changes in tax laws. Standard T&C Apply
^The tax benefits under Section 80C allow a deduction of up to ₹1.5 lakhs from the taxable income per year and 10(10D) tax benefits are for investments made up to ₹2.5 Lakhs/ year for policies bought after 1 Feb 2021. Tax benefits and savings are subject to changes in tax laws.
+Returns Since Inception of LIC Growth Fund
~Source - Google Review Rating available on:- http://bit.ly/3J20bXZ
^^The information relating to mutual funds presented in this article is for educational purpose only and is not meant for sale. Investment is subject to market risks and the risk is borne by the investor. Please consult your financial advisor before planning your investments.

Secure Your Retirement Today
Start Investing ₹6,000/month
Get Pension ₹60,000/month+
Including Life Cover
View Plan
Pension Plans
+Standard T&C Applied
Disclaimer: Policybazaar does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
Secure your Retirement today!
START INVESTING
₹6,000/month
GET PENSION
₹60,000/month+
Heart
INCLUDING LIFE COVER
+ Standard T & C Apply*
Pension Calculator
Pension Calculator
How much do you need to save for retirement?
₹ 20,000
₹ 25,000
₹ 30,000
Monthly Expenses in 2024
Edit Done
Your expense go up every year by
Today 2024 Your expenses today in 2023, at the age of 34 Yrs
Your expenses in 2043, at the age of 55 Yrs
For a monthly pension of ₹77,300
you need to invest
₹14,300/month
Calculated as per past performance of 15%
View Plan Recalculate?

Pension plans articles

Recent Articles
Popular Articles
How Can I Get a 3000 Pension?

01 May 2024

Securing a monthly pension of 3000 rupees is a goal that many
Read more
Pension Calculator

13 Feb 2024

Pension calculator helps you calculate the amount you could
Read more
NPS vs ULIP - Which One Is Better?

10 Oct 2023

NPS (National Pension System) and ULIP (Unit Linked Insurance
Read more
Best Mutual Funds for Retirement

21 Sep 2023

Planning for a secure and comfortable retirement is a financial
Read more
Mahila Samman Savings Certificate (MSSC)

04 Sep 2023

The Mahila Samman Savings Certificate (MSSC) or Mahila Samman
Read more
SBI Annuity Deposit Scheme Calculator 2024
SBI Annuity Deposit Scheme Calculator 2024 is an online tool that helps you figure out your fixed annuity
Read more
Top 15 Pension Plans in India
The Pension Plan, also known as a Retirement Plan is the best investment instrument allowing individuals to build
Read more
Sevarth Mahakosh
Sevarth Mahakosh Portal is a one-stop solution for all state government employees' financial transactions and
Read more
NPS Calculator 2024
NPS Pension Calculator is a financial tool that calculates potential returns on the National Pension Scheme, by
Read more
NPS Calculator for Government Employees
National Pension Scheme or National Pension System (NPS) is launched by the Government of India for all its
Read more

top
Close
Download the Policybazaar app
to manage all your insurance needs.
INSTALL