How to Check Income Tax Return Status Online?

*Please note that the quotes shown will be from our partners

Income Tax has become a part and parcel of our lives and this is the reason we now bank on it for all our daily requirements as well as other financial transactions. One of the most important reasons is that we can deal with all the issues such as integrity, atomicity, authenticity and several others easily. 

Consequently, one can buy things online, purchase policies and can also go for online money transactions. On the top of this now you can easily file Income tax returns online and can also track the status of your Income Tax Refund. This allows the Taxpayers to view the status of their refund within 10 days of applying for the refund. All you need to do is to type in your Permanent Account Number (PAN) and pick the year of your Assessment.

You need to complete the online filing of Income Tax Refund . It is advised to e-file your returns this year as this helps you to process your Tax Refund faster. Here we will discuss the process of checking the status of Income Tax Returns in case you have not received the refund of the Income Tax Returns that you filed this year.

There can be several reasons responsible why you have been unable to receive the refund till date. It might be possible that your Income Tax Return is not processed yet. You will certainly receive the refund if the department receives the filing of the returns.

In order to check your IT Return filing status online, you need to login into your e-Filing of the official Income Tax website and visit 'My Account' and from there go to 'My Returns/Forms'. Another case may be that your Income Tax Department might have processed your Income Tax Return but the Income Tax Department was unable to determine the refund.

What is income tax return status?

The Income Tax Department offers an online service to help you track the status of your income tax return request. This facility helps you track your Income Tax Refund and its status.

You can view the status of your income tax refund after 10 days once your refund has been sent. You will need your PAN number and select the particular Assessment Year for which you have filed your return, to check the income tax return status to check.

Why You were Unable to Receive Your Returns?

One case might be that everything is done which means that the Income Tax Department has processed your returns and even the department also determined your refund, but still, you are unable to get your returns. This might happen if you were unable to reach the Cheque or ECS credit. There might be several reasons for this such as mentioning the wrong address, no availability at home or not mentioning the correct Bank Account number for ECS.

In order to find out whether the Refund has been sent to the Income Tax Department or not, you need to first login to the official website and go to 'My Account' and then go to 'My Returns/Forms'. From there you can check the status of your returns form.

How to check income tax return status online?

You can check the status of your Income-tax Return with the help of the following steps:

  1. Login or Register (if you are a new customer) on the official website of income-tax department.
  2. Once logged on, click on ‘My Account’ and go to ‘e-Filed Returns/Forms’.
  3. Afterwards, select the option of ‘Ack. No.’ for the concerned Assessment Year.
  4. Finally, view the Return Status for your ITR request.

Please understand that, the ITR status my vary from individual to individual.

It is possible in some cases that the status of your IT Return is 'Refund Returned'. How to apply for it again?

To apply for the IT return again you need to visit the official website of Income Tax e-Filing and from there visit 'My Account' and then move to 'Refund Re-issue request'. You need to choose the mode of getting the refund, be it ECS or Cheque, and provide the Bank Account number in case if changes and along with this make sure that you also give the details of your residential Address.

To change your Bank Account Number

In case you have opened a new Bank Account and wish to change your bank account number that you entered in your Income Tax Return. Failure in the refund might occur in case if the Bank account number was not entered correctly. In such cases, the IT Return gets generated but due to certain mishap you were unable to receive it. Moreover, the Bank Account Number can be easily changed.

To case you fail to get the refund you need to change the Bank Account Number

The first step is to open up the official website of Income Tax e-Filing and then login. Then you need to go to ‘My Account’ then you need to go to 'Refund re-issue request'. This gives you the leverage to select the mode of your payment, be it Cheque or ECS using which you would like to get the refund. Then you need to submit your Bank Account Number and also the address details. Thus, you need to submit the request. After you submit your request, your new Address gets updated in the records of Income Tax Department.

You won’t be able to get your refund in case you relocate to some other place.

In this case, you need to request to re-issue the funds to you new Address. A request can be only raised if you were unable to get a refund and the refund will be rolled back to the Income Tax Department. In such cases, you need to login to the e-filing website of the Income Tax department. Then you need to go to 'My Account' and from that tab go to 'Refund re-issue request'.

Choosing the preferred mode

Choose the mode using which you would prefer to receive the refund, which can be through Cheque or ECS. Make sure that you mention your new Bank Account Number (in case of any changes) as well as mention the new Address. Make sure to submit your request.

Once your request was accepted, your Bank account number will get updated in the records of the Income Tax Department. In case if you have changes you residence, therefore you need to change your Address/ Mobile Phone Number which is registered in your Income Tax Return.

  1. Firstly, Login to the e-Filing website of the Income Tax department and visit 'My Profile Settings → 'Update Contact details'.
  2. You need to type in your new email Address/ Mobile Number and then submit it.
  3. After submitting, you need to update your Address or e-mail ID or Mobile number in your profile and send it to the CPC (Central Processing Center) so as to update your Income Tax Return.

Steps to file Returns Online

  • First of all, you need to first register or login (in case if you have already registered) on the home page of the website.
  • When you will type in your PAN number, you will get to know if you have already registered or not. It can be possible that you might have filed your returns online before, so it might be possible that your registration already exists.
  • Therefore, you need to first check your inbox for "[dot]in" to seek any piece of useful information. If you have memorized your password, then login to the website. You must remember that your PAN number is your User ID.
  • In case you have forgotten your password, then you have to Reset it. There are cases when we are unable to reset your password by the options they provide, so you can send the mail to validate@incometaxindia[dot]gov[.]in and fill in the required details mentioned below:


Name of the PAN Card Holder:

Father's Name:

Date of Birth:

Registered PAN address: 

You may like to Read: How to e filing income tax

Frequently Asked Questions income tax return status:

1. How can I claim my Tax Refund?

Every year, a lot of people pay their taxes; however, most of the times they are not sure about how the process of claiming income tax refund (ITR) works. In case you think that you’ve overpaid your income tax in the current tax year, you can claim refund for the excess amount paid by you.

You can claim the refund while filing your income tax returns for the current financial year. You can file your return either by providing the required details in the ITR1 or ITR4 form or by uploading the filled excel or Java utility form. 

2. How can I check my income tax refund status?

The Income Tax Department provides online services to help you track the status of your Income Tax Refund. You can view the status of your Income Tax Refund after 10 days once your refund has been already sent. You will need to enter your PAN number and select the Assessment Year to check the refund status.

Please understand that you have to finish the ITR process beforehand to be able to check your ITR status.

3. When I will get my ITR refund?

Usually, the Income Tax Department starts the process of ITR refund once they have received your ITR filing request. Although it doesn’t take more than 20 to 45 days from the date of e-verification of your ITR, the account, still there can be certain reasons such as your ITR still under processing, incorrect bank details, etc. can delay the process of ITR for you.

Also, the returns that are verified by sending ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore by post can take some more time to be processed.

4. Whom do you call if you have not received your tax refund?

You can contact the Indian Revenue Services (IRS) on their toll-free helpline at: 1800-829-1954.  However, make sure that you have waited for a minimum of 21 days after e-filing your returns and at least 6 weeks if you have sent your ITR-Verification receipt through the post.

5. What is income tax refund?

Income tax refund comes into the picture in case someone ends up paying more taxes than s/he actually owes. For example, for salaried employees, this situation may arise if they have missed out on declaring some of their investments which can lead to extra tax deductions.

In such cases, the Income Tax department is bound to refund the excess tax that’s been deducted, which is also known as Income tax refund.

6. How long does it take for tax refund to show in a bank account?

If you have provided complete and accurate details while e-filing your tax return, you will get the refund within next six to eight weeks from the date Income tax department has received your return.

If you have filed your return online (electronically), your tax refund will be credited even much faster – in less than 3 weeks from the receipt of your ITR request.

7. How long does it take to get your tax refund back direct deposit?

If you choose to file your ITR online or choose direct deposit, the Income Tax department will credit your refund in less than 3 weeks.

8. I forgot to file my Income Tax Return; can I claim my refund now?

According to the Finance Act 2016 amendment, you have an option to file your Income tax Returns anytime on or before the completion of one year from the end of the relevant Assessment Year (AY), in case you forgot to file your ITR for the current financial year.

For instance, for the AY 2017-18, you can file a belated return on or before 31st March 2019.

9. I filed my ITR with a refund but still not got a refund?

If you have filed a refund but haven’t received one yet, it could be due to the following reasons:

  • Your refund isn’t processed by the Income Tax department yet. You can check the status of your ITR by logging on to the Income tax e-filling website. Once logged in, select the ‘My Account’ option and click on ‘My Returns/Forms’.
  • Your ITR has been processed, but the income tax department has determined there is no refund for your account after completing the verification procedure.
  • Your ITR has been processed and your refund has also been sent but the Income Tax Department wasn’t able to deliver the cheque/ECS to you due to incorrect details.

10. What are the different ways in which refund is issued by the Department?

The income tax department issues the refund in either of the following ways:
i) Cheque: Under this option, you will receive an account payee cheque from the Income Tax Department. This process is comparatively time-consuming.

  1. ii) RTGS/NECS:Under this option, your refund is directly credited to the bank account whose details you have shared while filing your return request. It is the fastest procedure to get your refund processed.

11. Will I also get any interest for the delayed refund?

In case you get your tax refunds after six months of filing your returns, your refund will be delivered to you with an annual interest of 12%. Going ahead, if you receive the refund after 1 year, the annual interest rate will be of 18%. 

12. When & How to apply for Refund Reissue?

There might be instances, wherein the Income Tax Department may reject your refund request or your refund processing may fail due to different reasons such as invalid account number/IFSC code, name mismatch, closed account, expired cheque, etc. In all such cases, one has to raise a request for refund reissue.

Below-enlisted are the steps to request for refund reissue:

  • First of all, log on to the e-Filing website with your User ID, Password, Date of Birth and the given Captcha code.
  • Once logged on to the website, go to ‘My Account’ and select the option of "Refund Re-issue Request".
  • Enter your PAN, Assessment Year, Communication Reference Number, CPC, Refund Sequence Number (it is available on the 143(1) Intimation order) and then click on 'Validate'
  • Once the details are validated, you can select the mode of Refund Reissue. The two available options for so are ECS and Cheque.
  • In case, you go for the ECS option, you can update your bank account details under the option ‘Do you want to update Bank Account details?’.
  • In case of cheque, you can select or update the address to which you want it to be delivered.
  • Once done, please click on ‘Submit’.

13.  How to update Address/Email id/Mobile number for all communications with the Income Tax Department?

 Below-enlisted are the steps to update your address/email id/mobile number on the Income tax e-filing website:

  • Go to the e-filling website: and log in with your account details such as your user id, password and date of birth.
  • Once successfully logged in, go to ‘Profile Settings’ and click on ‘My Profile’.
  • Afterwards, select the option of ‘Contact Details’ wherein, you will find the Primary and Secondary Email addresses that are currently set on your profile.
  • Click on ‘Edit’ if you want tomake changes.
  • Update your correct Email Address and Contact Number.
  • Click on the option of ‘Save’ once you have made the changes
  • Finally, complete the verification process with the OTP sent on your email address and mobile number.