Common Mistakes While Filing Two Wheeler Third Party Insurance Claim
As per the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 it is mandatory for every two-wheeler owner to purchase a third-party insurance policy for his/her bike. A third-party insurance policy offers financial protection against injury, loss, or damage to the property or life of any third-party and has incurred due to the accident by your vehicle. However, a comprehensive insurance policy provides compensation against damage to your own vehicle with third-party coverage in case of any mishap such as a road accident.Read more
However, while filing a third-party bajaj allianz bike insurance claim, the beneficiary has to claim the insurance against the vehicle due to which the accident has occurred. This claim covers:
- Bodily injury or death of the third-party.
- Damage to the property of the third-party.
Filing a claim of two wheeler insurance seems very easy, but in reality, it is not. The process is tricky and you may make some mistakes while filing the claim. In this article, we are going to discuss some of the common mistakes that most of you may make while filing a third party bike insurance claim. However, before knowing about these mistakes, let us first understand the process of filing the claim:
Follow the below steps in order to file third-party two-wheeler insurance claim:
- Make contact with the nearest police station and lodge the FIR soon after the accident. The FIR works as one of the supporting documents while filing an insurance claim.
- Inform the insurance provider or agent immediately. Generally, companies have a window of 48 hours from the time of the accident and to be notified. Therefore, contact your insurance provider or your insurance agent without any delay.
- If possible, take the photographs of the accident site and damages on your vehicle. Apart from photos, do not forget to note down the names and phone numbers of the witnesses. It is suggested to write down the details of the insurance of the other parties that are involved in the accident.
- It is suggested to be honest and keep promoting your insurance provider all the times. Hiding details may work against you. So, never do this.
- After all, this, register your case in the tribunal court (is a special court for vehicle accident claims) in that area’s jurisdiction where the mishap has taken place. If you want, you can as well file a complaint in that jurisdiction’s tribunal court where you or the other party lives.
Note: It is to be noted here that the civil court is not responsible for deciding the compensation of the third-party insurance claims for two-wheelers. Therefore, please follow the law of contacting the tribunal court.
- It is suggested to keep the details of the conversation with the representatives of your insurance provider. For future references, it is always good to keep the names and the job titles of the people you speak with on behalf of your insurance provider.
- From the time, the accident occurred till the final settlement of the claim it is advised to save all the receipts.
Now as you have understood the basic claim filing process, it is the time to know the common mistakes that you may do while filing the claim:
6 Common Mistakes To Avoid While Filing Third Party Two Wheeler Insurance Claim:
- Ignoring to Call the Police: Never ignore or avoid calling the local police. There can be chances where the other involved parties try to settle the case with you without informing the police, never do that. Always remember - not informing the police in case of a road accident is completely illegal. So, never do this. Moreover, FIR always helps you while filing a claim for your insurance policy.
- Never Run Away from the Spot of the Accident: Do not run away from the place of the accident or move your vehicle (two-wheeler in this case) or anyone else’s bike from there. If anyone requires medical aid, go and arrange it, but do not move your vehicle.
- Do Not Panic: Getting panic or stressing over the situation only increases your problem. So, take a deep breath in such a situation, do not let your cool go and then start talking to anybody at the accident spot. Arguing over what has happened never works, instead of finding a solution for your problem does. Therefore, think wisely and then come to any conclusion at such situations. It is not at all suggested to take the entire blame on you neither arguing other, but thinking wisely is.
- Never Sign Any Releases to the Insurance Company: Do not ever do this until you get a legal advice or you believe that the first estimated value of the claim settlement provided by the insurer is the ultimate.
- Do Not Miss Any of the Post-Accidental Formalities Prescribed: Never forget to file the post-accidental formalities or do not avoid the timelines under which you have to perform the same. Collect all the require documents of all the quarters and file a third-party two-wheeler insurance claim as correctly and promptly as you can.
- Ignore Accepting a Checque Saying ‘Final Payment’: Avoid accepting any cheque that is saying ‘final payment’ until you are convinced for the same. Since claiming third-party insurance for two-wheelers is a very tedious process, but if you follow the same thoroughly, then there are hardly any chances of its rejection.
Note: Never ride your two-wheeler under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating substance. Never get involved in any rash, illegal, or malicious driving. And last but not the least avoid giving your personal two-wheeler for commercial use.
Due to the complex procedure of third-party two-wheeler insurance claim filing, the insurance provider as well may take time to settle the claim. In this situation, one thing that you must follow is to keep calm. Moreover, avoid all the above-mentioned mistakes in order to ignore any hurdle in the claim settlement process. Insurance companies like Bajaj Allianz have comparatively simple bike settlement process so you can opt for a plan provided by this insurance provider.