List of Documents to Carry When Riding a Bike
It is very common to be stopped by traffic police at various junctions on Indian roads. This is to ensure that traffic laws are strictly followed and you carry all the required documents while on road. Or, if you are planning to go on a long bike ride, then it is essential to have a list of documents with you like third-party two-wheeler insurance. Today we are going to discuss the mandatory documents that you must have while riding a bike on Indian roads.Read more
Mandatory Documents to carry While Riding a Bike
Before you start riding your bike, you must have to carry certain documents at all times. According to Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 you should have bike documents with you while riding your bike. So, you can say that bike documents are required for legal purposes as well as for identifying the vehicle when riding on public roads. Mentioned below is the list of mandatory documents to ride while riding a two-wheeler on the roads of India:
- Rider’s Driving License
- Registration Certificate of the Bike
- Two-Wheeler Insurance Policy
- Fitness certificate of bike
- Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUCC)
Detailed description of these documents is mentioned below:
- Rider’s Driving License: Driving License or DL is the document that provides permission to ride a motorbike legally on roads. DL is issued by the RTO after you apply for it and pass the needed driving test. In addition to this, the Driving License includes the details of the types of vehicles that you are eligible to ride or drive. For example, two-wheeler, two-wheeler, and four-wheeler both, a vehicle with gear or without gear, etc. According to Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, it is compulsory for a bike rider to carry his/her driving license while riding. In this way, riding a bike with a driving license is a punishable offence.
- Registration Certificate of Your Bike: Registration certificate is commonly known as RC it is one of the important documents of your two-wheeler and you must carry it all the time while riding. With RC, you can prove the legitimacy of your bike and make sure that it is registered with the Regional Transportation Office (RTO). This document contains the registration number of your bike, vehicle’s owner details, make and model of your bike, etc.
- Insurance Policy of Your Bike: While riding a two-wheeler on Indian roads, it is mandatory to get it insured at least with a third-party two-wheeler insurance policy. You must carry this document with you as this serves as a proof that your two-wheeler is insured. Since it is mandatory to have at least third-party liability insurance for your bike, but you can also opt for a cheap bike insurance to get coverage for own damage as well. In a bike insurance policy, the registration number of your bike, insurance provider’s name, type of insurance coverage, policy tenure, and coverage limit are mentioned. If you have purchased a new bike, then you can purchase a two-wheeler insurance online without any hassle. Moreover, you can renew your bike insurance policy online also.
- Fitness Certificate of Your Bike: A new two-wheeler is considered fit to travel on roads until it becomes 15 years old. After 15 years, you need to have fitness certificate of your bike for continuing it to ride on the roads and after that you need to renew it after every two-years. So, if you are an owner of a bike that is 15 years old or more, then you must carry its fitness certificate with you all the times.
- Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUCC):It is by law mandatory to have emission certificate of your bike before running it on public roads. The Pollution Under Control Certificate contains the level to which your two-wheeler emits the pollution and bike’s registration number. This document certifies that the carbon monoxide that is emitted by your two-wheeler is within the permissible limit that are approved by the authorities. Therefore, you should carry the emission certificate of your bike whenever you ride it on Indian roads.
- Medical Certificate: For those who are more than 50 years old, they should produce a medical certificate whenever the authorities ask for it. The medical certificate works as a disclaimer that you are fit medically for riding a two-wheeler. This certificate must be issued by the certifying doctor that the applicant is medically fit to have a driving license and ride a two-wheeler.
Basic Traffic Rules While Riding a Bike
You must follow the below mentioned rules while riding a bike on roads:
- Always wear a helmet and make sure that pillion rider is also wearing a helmet.
- Always keep your left on a road that is two-way.
- Never ride without mandatory documents like RC, DL, Two-wheeler insurance policy, Fitness certificate, PUCC, medical certificate (if required).
- Maintain the discipline of lane.
- Use hand signals when needed.
- Make sure the registration number of your vehicle is clearly visible.
- Use turn signals or indicators for letting other know you are taking a right or left turn.
- Never use horn unnecessarily.
- Always provide way to pedestrians.
- Never ride on footpaths.
- Follow the traffic signals and signs on road diligently.
- Slow down at road intersections, road corners, junctions, crossings for pedestrians, etc.
Summing It Up!
You must carry all the aforementioned documents while riding a bike on Indian roads. These documents work as a great help when traffic police stop you for checking the documents. In addition to this, if you carry these documents with you all the times while riding, then you addition to this, you can contact your insurance provider instantly in case of an unfortunate mishap or a bike breakdown. This is because some comprehensive bike insurance policy provides road side assistance as well. So, with every document that is mentioned above is of importance while you are riding a bike. Moreover, with new technology, you can now purchase a bike insurance online without any hassle.
Two Wheeler insurance articles
04 Aug 2022Buying a two-wheeler can be a significant step in one's life as...
25 Jul 2022Keeping your bike free from dents and scratches is one of the...
19 Jul 2022Two-wheelers are one of the most convenient and affordable modes...
19 Jul 2022A bike loan is one of the best ways and has become immensely...
12 Jul 2022Natural disasters are unforeseen weather conditions that cause...