- 24X7Claim Assistance &
Free Customer Support
- 20 Lakh+Happy & Satisfied Customers
- Rs. 1 LakhAccident Cover @ Rs. 2/Day
- 100%Claim Support
We promise limited calls
Two-Wheelers Consumes Over 62% Petrol in India
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 2296 -
Modified 05 February 2014
Directly or indirectly, energy is something which is critically required in the entire circle of revolution, survival and growth of all living beings. Moreover, it’s crucial for the socio-economic development as well as human welfare of a country.
India gathers around 759.59 million tonnes crude oil in its energy basket and is the fourth largest consumer of crude oil in the world after United States, China and Russia.
The two-wheeler sector in India contributes to 6% of GDP and consumes over 62% petrol according to the latest survey done by Sanjay Dutta of TNN. 2% of petrol is sold by people for earning purposes in remote villages and coastal areas. Around 27% of the fuel is sold for four wheelers, 6% for three-wheelers and 2% for other purposes as per the survey done by Nielsen for the oil ministry.
This survey has given a clear road map for the management of the domestic oil market. Increment of the oil import bill by 9.5% to 347, 432 crore leads to an estimate of 180, 000 crore increment in subsidy. To have a look on the demand growth, oil minister, M. Veerappa Moily is planning for a meeting soon concerning fuel consumption campaign.
According to a survey, utility vehicles consume 4% of the fuel. The total consumption of petrol is estimated to be 16 million tonnes. Population of coastal regions and remote villages sell petrol at a premium to fishing boats & bikes after buying it from retail outlets. Small generators are also run by them in tea gardens of West Bengal and Assam.
On the other hand, if we talk about diesel then its consumption is more predictable than petrol. Around 28.48% of diesel is consumed by SUVs, three-wheelers, utility vehicles and high-end cars as per the study conducted by Nielsen Pvt Ltd. 19% diesel is sold for agricultural purposes and 2 % for powering mobile towers, running back-up generators and construction equipment. Government subsidies in diesel are the reason for increasing sale of diesel cars. It accounts for around 9% along with sports utility vehicles. Though for commercial purpose, eastern region uses minimum diesel cars and SUV’s whereas south used maximum.
- Most Read
- Why Are Add-On Covers in a Two-Wheeler Insurance Policy Required?
Date: 05 November 2018
- Steps to Follow While Purchasing Two-Wheeler Insurance Online
Date: 02 November 2018
- Common Mistakes While Filing Two-Wheeler’s Third-Party Insurance Claim
Date: 30 October 2018
- Buying Two-Wheeler Insurance? Here are the IRDA Rules for Two-Wheeler Insurance Policies You Ought to Know
Date: 10 October 2018
- Buying Two-Wheeler Insurance? Here is Everything you Need to know About Two-Wheeler Insurance
Date: 25 September 2018
- Renew Your Two Wheeler Break-in Insurance Policy at PolicyBazaar
Views : 184711
- Two Wheeler Insurance Plans
Views : 120656
- Lost Your Two Wheeler Insurance Documents? Here Is What You Need To Do
Views : 98435
- 5 Common Mistakes in Choosing Two Wheeler Insurance
Views : 91830
- Consequences Of Not Buying A Two-Wheeler Insurance
Views : 91091