Many people are very ignorant about their income tax refunds. Even people are unaware that they can check status of their income tax refund online. It is very easy to check you income tax refund online as you just need your permanent account number and the assessment year on the site to access the current position of the tax refund. The tax refunds whenever applicable are made in two different means to all the tax payers:
- RTGS / NECS: In order to enable direct credit of the refund amount to the bank account of the tax payer, the taxpayer's correct bank A/c (at least 10 digits), MICR/ IFSC code of the bank branch and required communication address is mandatory.
- Paper cheque: The standard paper cheques wherever issued require the current bank account no and the correct address of the tax payer as mandatory information.
How to Check Income Tax Refund Status Online?
An online facility to track the Income Tax Refund status is offered by the Income Tax Department.
Taxpayers can check the status of their refund 10 days after they send the refund. You will be required to enter your PAN number and choose the year of assessment to track.
You will have to finish with the e-filing process to obtain your Income Tax Refund.
In order to check your Income Tax Refund Status Online, you are required to follow the steps below:
Step 1: Log in to the official website of e-filing with User ID, Date of Birth or Date of Incorporation, Password and Captcha.
Step 2: Visit ‘My Account’ and click on ‘Refund/Demand Status’.
Step 3: The details below will be displayed:
- Assessment Year
- Reason (For failure of refund, if any)
- Mode of payment
INCOME TAX- REFUND PROCESS
Most of us wait for the last moments to make our tax investments which leads to incorrect disclosure of investments and further you end up paying more taxes. This extra income tax paid in addition to actual tax liability leads to a situation of tax refund. The process of tax refunds has been a time consuming process over the years. The whole process going online even has not helped a great deal. But if you are expecting a tax refund then it is important to take a few steps which will help you in expediting the process. You can check and provide accurate bank account details like bank account number and also the proper address to get the tax refund directly credited to your account.
In case of excess deduction of tax at source, claim of refund of such excess Tax deduction at source (TDS) can be made by the deductor. The excess amount is refundable as per procedure laid down for refund of Tax deduction at source (TDS) .The difference between the actual payment made by the deductor and the tax deducted at source or deductible, whichever is more will be treated as the excess payment made. This amount is to be first adjusted against any existing tax liability under any of the Direct Tax Acts. After meeting such liability, the balance amount is to be refunded. Below is the tax refund process:
- Filing the return on time is the first and foremost requirement for claiming the Tax refund, by providing the adequate investment details.
- File your return online so that it is processed faster and it doesn’t have to deal with bureaucracy.
- Check your Income tax return status to see if it’s reflecting the tax refund correctly.
- If your Tax return shows Tax refund, filing the return is all you need to do. The IT department will send the refund by post (cheque) or direct credit to your bank account.
- You should provide proper details of bank account like MICR Code, bank account number and also the proper address to get the Tax refund amount directly credited in to your account.
Opt for direct credit so that you don’t have to deal with postal delays.