- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 831 -
Updated date : 31 December 2019
Bangkok is the most popular city in the world when it comes to international visitors. The city is well-known for its magnificent temples, great architecture, local food and one-of-a-kind nightlife. It also boasts of multiple floating markets where you can find an array of fresh fruits, vegetables and local street food. Plus, if you take a few hours drive from Bangkok, you will find yourself standing in front of some of the most gorgeous beaches in Thailand. No wonder around 22.78 million foreigners have visited this city in 2019 as per Mastercard Global Destination Cities Index. If you too are planning to visit Bangkok soon, you will have to obtain a Bangkok visa for Indians. Moreover, you should get travel insurance for your trip to ensure that you have a fantastic trip to Bangkok.
What is Bangkok Visa?
Bangkok visa is an official permit that grants access to a foreign national into Thailand’s capital city for a specific period of time. Whether the foreign citizen is travelling to Bangkok for tourism or to visit friends & families, you will have to obtain a Bangkok visa. Foreigners who are travelling to Bangkok to study, work or to obtain medical treatment will also have to obtain a visa for Bangkok. In fact, foreign travellers with a layover in Bangkok will also have to obtain a visa to catch their connecting flight from its international airport.
Foreign tourists arriving in Bangkok from 18 countries around from the world are eligible for Bangkok Visa on Arrival. Moreover, people belonging to 64 countries have been exempted from obtaining a Bangkok visa under the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme and the Bilateral Agreements signed by the Thailand Government.
Features of Bangkok Visa
- Option to choose between 10 types of Non-Immigrant Bangkok Visa
- Tourists from 64 countries exempted from obtaining Bangkok Tourist Visa
- Citizens of 18 countries, including India, eligible for Bangkok Visa on Arrival
- No Visa on Arrival fees until April 2020
Types of Bangkok Visa for Indians
Broadly, there are three types of visa available for foreign nationals travelling to Bangkok i.e. Tourist visa, Transit visa and Non-Immigrant visa.
A Tourist visa is a type of visa that allows a foreign national to enter Bangkok if he is visiting the city for tourism, to visit friends and families or to obtain medical treatment. This type of Bangkok visa is available for single entry as well as for multiple entries into the city.
This type of visa is specifically designed for foreigners who are arriving in Bangkok to catch a connecting flight to their travel destination outside Thailand. A transit visa is also granted to foreign nationals visiting Bangkok for participation in sports activities and also to crew members who are arriving at a Bangkok station or port.
A non-immigrant visa is a type of visa that allows a foreign national to stay in Bangkok for a longer period of time. This type of Bangkok visa is available for both single entry and multiple entries into the city. There are 10 types of non-immigrant visa available to foreign nationals seeking to stay in the city for a long period of time. Take a look at different types of non-immigrant visa below:
- ‘B’ Visa for people travelling due to business or employment
- ‘B’ Visa for 3 Years for people travelling due to business purposes with a three-year validity
- ‘ED’ Visa for people travelling for education
- ‘F’ Visa for people on official duties
- ‘IB’ Visa for people travelling due to investment-related activities in a Bangkok-based company
- ‘M’ Visa for members for the media industry
- ‘RS’ Visa for people obtaining training, conducting research work or teaching in a research institute
- ‘R’ Visa for people seeking to perform religious or missionary activities
- ‘O’ Visa for people travelling to work with an NGO or Public Charity Organisation
- ‘O’, ‘O-A’ Visa for people wanting to retire in Bangkok
If you want to get detailed information on Non-Immigrant visa for Bangkok, you can read this Thailand visa article.
Permanent Resident Visa
Permanent Resident (PR) visa is meant for foreigners who want to take up residency in Bangkok or stay permanently in Thailand. A PR status in Bangkok will be granted only to people who have lived for at least three consecutive years in Bangkok and possess a valid non-immigrant visa at the time of applying. Only after holding a Bangkok PR for 10 consecutive years, a foreigner can apply to become a legal citizen of Thailand.
All PR applications are scrutinized and processed by the Royal Thai Immigration Commission. Foreign nationals are allowed to apply for a Bangkok PR, starting October to December every year. However, only 100 people are granted PR status every year.
Bangkok Visa on Arrival for Indians
Bangkok Tourist Visa on Arrival is a visa facility offered to foreigners arriving from certain countries, including India. Under this facility, citizens arriving from eligible countries can obtain a Bangkok visa after arriving in Thailand’s capital city. The Thailand Visa on Arrival can be obtained at Bangkok’s international airports i.e. Don Mueang International Airport and Suvarnabhumi Airport.
Bangkok visa for Indians is issued for a stay in Bangkok for up to 15 days. In case, the tourist wishes to stay in the city for more than 15 days, he will have to obtain a Bangkok Tourist visa prior to his arrival in Thailand.
Thailand Immigration Department also issues Bangkok/ Thailand Visa on Arrival to foreigners online. The foreigner can obtain his Thailand eVisa on Arrival before commencing his trip to Bangkok to avoid standing in long queues at the Immigration counter in Bangkok international airports. This will also eliminate the need for him to carry a bunch of required documents in support of his visa application during his Bangkok trip.
Countries Eligible for Bangkok Visa on Arrival
Currently, foreign nationals from 18 countries are eligible for Thailand Visa on Arrival if they are travelling to Bangkok for tourism purposes. Following is the list of these 18 countries who are eligible for Visa on Arrival:
|Bulgaria||Papa New Guinea|
Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme and Bilateral Agreement:
Tourists arriving from 56 countries around the world are exempted from obtaining a Bangkok Tourist visa under the Thailand Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme. As per this scheme, people from these countries will be eligible for a 30-day visa-free entry into Bangkok if they are travelling to the city for tourism purposes.
As per the Bilateral Agreements signed by Thailand, foreigners arriving from 13 countries for tourism are also exempted from getting a Bangkok Tourist visa to enter the city. People belonging to these countries can avail visa-free entry into Bangkok for 14 days, 30 days or 90 days depending on the country they belong to. Moreover, people arriving in Bangkok from 60 countries on the diplomatic or official passport are also exempted from obtaining a Tourist visa under the Bilateral Agreements signed by Thailand.
Under the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme and the Bilateral Agreements, tourists arriving from the following countries are not required to obtain a Bangkok Tourist visa to enter Thailand’s capital city:
|Countries Exempted from Bangkok Tourist Visa|
|Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme||Bilateral Agreements|
|30 days||14 days||30 days||90 days*|
*These countries are exempted from obtaining a Bangkok Tourist visa under the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme as well as due to the Bilateral Agreements.
Validity of Bangkok Visa for Indians
The various types of Bangkok visa vary from each other in terms of validity. Moreover, there is a maximum stay limit for each visit that has to be followed by every foreigner arriving in Bangkok. The following table represents the visa validity and per trip duration for every kind of Bangkok visa for Indians:
|Types of Bangkok Visa||Visa Validity||Maximum Stay Duration Per Trip|
|Thailand Tourist Visa||Single Entry Visa||3 months||60 days|
|Multiple Entry Visa||6 months|
|Transit Visa||3 months||30 days|
|Non-Immigrant Visa||B Visa, ED Visa||3 months||90 days|
|B Visa for 3 years||3 years|
|F Visa, IB Visa, M Visa, RS Visa, R, R-A Visa||3 months (Single Entry)
6 months or 1 year (Multiple Entries)
|O, O-A Visa||1 year|
|O Visa (Married to Thai Visa, Working with NGO or Public Charity Organisation, Long stay medical treatment)||3 months (Single Entry)
6 months or 1 year (Multiple Entries)
|O Visa (Family members and dependents)||3 months|
|Visa on Arrival||15 days||15 days|
When to Apply for Bangkok Visa for Indians?
All those Indian citizens who are planning to visit Bangkok should apply for a visa before commencing their trip. The travellers can apply for a Bangkok visa for Indians by submitting their visa application to VFS Global Pvt. Ltd online or through a visa application centre. The Immigration Bureau of Thailand has officially appointed VFS Global as the authorized partner to accept visa applications for Bangkok. In case you are travelling to Bangkok for up to 15 days vacation can avail Bangkok visa on arrival service after arriving in the city.
The Bangkok eVisa on Arrival can also be obtained online before beginning your trip to Thailand. By obtaining your eVisa online, you don’t have to stand in a long queue at Bangkok’s international airport to obtain your Visa on Arrival. You can submit your visa application online at the VFS Global’s official website.
How to Apply for Bangkok Visa for Indians?
A traveller can apply for a Bangkok visa for Indians both online and offline. An online application can be made through the official website of VFS Global. On the other hand, offline applications can be made through the Royal Thai Embassy. All those people who want to apply for a Bangkok Visa for Indians can follow the steps given below:
How to Apply for Bangkok Visa Online
- Visit the official website of ‘VFS Global’ for Thailand visa
- Select ‘Visa Types’ and click on ‘Tourist visa’
- Go to ‘Download Forms’ tab to download the application form for Bangkok visa for Indians
- Enter your trip information along with your personal details in the form
- Visit the nearest Visa Application Centre and submit the visa form along with the required documents
- Pay the visa fees to complete the application process
Applying Through the Royal Thai Embassy
- Visit the official website of ‘VFS Global’ for Thailand visa
- Select ‘Online Visa Application Form’ and click for the visa application form
- Enter your trip and personal details on the application form
- Upload all the documents supporting your visa application
- Pay visa fees online. In case you are visiting Bangkok for a 15-day trip on or before April 30, 2020, you don’t have to pay any fees for visa on arrival
- Submit your visa application for Bangkok visa for Indians
Documents Required for Bangkok Visa for Indians
In order to complete the procedure for applying for a Bangkok visa for Indians, all applicants need to submit certain documents in support of their visa application. Applicants of different types of visa need to submit different sets of documents. Although the entire list of required documents as per the type of visa can be found on the Thailand Visa page, check the list of documents required to apply a Bangkok visa for Indians in general:
- A valid passport with at least 6 months validity and two blank pages
- Visa application form
- A photograph of the applicant in the size of 3.5 x 4.5 cm. The picture should not be more than 6 months old and should be taken on a white background
- Proof of accommodation in Bangkok where the applicant will be staying. Mention the address and contact details of the place
- Proof of income or employment, which includes letter of employment, salary slips, income tax returns, business certificate, employee ID, student ID, etc.
- Letter of invitation from a Bangkok-based relative if the applicant would be staying with him
- Copy of Thai ID proof or non-immigrant visa of Bangkok-based relative with who the applicant would be staying
- Permanent residential address proof in India (if the applicant is not an Indian citizen)
- Booking confirmation for round trip to Bangkok. Applicants of non-immigrant visa can show booking confirmation for a one-way ticket to Bangkok
For Visa on Arrival
- A valid passport with a minimum validity of 30 days
- Booking confirmation for a round trip flight tickets to India within 15 days of entering Bangkok
- Proof of accommodation at a Bangkok hotel or apartment where the applicant would be staying during his trip
- Proof of income showing a minimum balance of 10,000 THB per single traveller and 20,000 THB for every family
Bangkok Visa Fees
All applicants of Bangkok visa for Indians have to pay visa fees in order to complete their visa application procedure. A visa application will not go for processing if the applicant does not pay the visa application fee. The Bangkok visa cost may vary from one type of visa to another. Refer to the table below to take a look at the visa fees for Bangkok that every applicant needs to pay:
|Types of Bangkok Visa for Indians||Visa Cost (Excluding Service Charge)|
|Tourist Visa||Single Entry Visa||INR 2,500|
|Multiple Entry Visa||INR 12,000|
|Transit Visa||INR 1900|
|Non-Immigrant Visa||B Visa, ED Visa||INR 5,000|
|B Visa for 3 years||INR 24,000|
|F Visa, IB Visa, M Visa, RS Visa, R, R-A Visa||INR 5,000 (Single Entry)
INR 12,000 (Multiple Entry)
|O, O-A Visa||INR 12,000|
|O Visa (Married to a Thai citizen, Working with NGO or Public charity organisation, Long stay medical treatment)||INR 5,000 (Single Entry)
INR 12,000 (Multiple Entry)
|O Visa (Family members and dependents)||INR 5,000|
|Visa on Arrival||2000 THB|
However, citizens from a few countries are exempted from paying the Bangkok visa cost. As per current regulation, foreign tourists who will be availing Visa on Arrival facility are exempted from paying any visa fees. Therefore, citizens from 18 eligible countries, including India, will get visa on arrival for Bangkok free of cost until April 30, 2020.
The Bangkok visa fees can be paid through online as well as offline. If the applicant is paying the visa fees offline, he can do so by paying the amount in cash or via demand draft, depending on the Embassy/ Consulate that covers his city under its jurisdiction.
Processing Time for Bangkok Visa for Indians
A Bangkok visa application takes about four working days to get processed. However, all Visa on Arrival application usually takes about 24 to 72 hours to get processed.
How to Track the Status of Bangkok Visa for Indians?
All those people who have applied for Bangkok visa for Indians can keep a track of their visa application status by following the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of ‘VFS Global for Thailand’
- Click on ‘Track your Application’
- Enter your date of birth and the passport number
- Submit the details entered
- Your visa application status will be shown
- Most Read