List of Useful Add-on Covers To Opt with Personal Accident Health Insurance
Personal accident insurance is a health insurance policy that covers expenses incurred by the policyholder on the treatment of bodily injuries resulting from an accident, fire, explosion, etc. In this policy, the insured/dependents get compensation for hospitalization expenses to treat accidental injuries, permanent and total disabilities and even accidental death.
If you have personal accident insurance and want to buy some add-on covers to enhance your coverage benefits then you can check out the list in this page below. But before that let’s take a look at some important stats related to personal accident insurance in India.
In the financial year 2020, personal accident insurances covered more than 1.5 billion lives in India. Private insurance companies covered more than double of what it was in the previous year.
Number of lives covered under personal accident insurance from FY 2014-2020, sector-wise
Why do People buy Personal Accident Health Insurance in India?
Life is full of uncertainties and risks. And in India where most of the families have a single earning member, the need for insurance is all the more. Imagine, if the primary earning member of the house gets partial disabilities or permanent disabilities due to an accident, then it can be emotionally and financially devastating for the entire family. To ensure financial protection during such times, a personal accident policy becomes a must.
Here are some of the benefits that it offers:
- Accident Cover: Personal accident insurance covers the insured for disabilities both temporary & permanent, including Accidental death
- Compensation for Permanent Total Disablement: Compensation for permanent total disability is 150% of the sum insured
- Dismemberment: Even on losing a limb or dismemberment, the policyholder will get financial compensation
- Medical Expense Cover: Personal accident insurance plans also bear the medical expenses incurred on the treatment of accidental injuries
Also, if you have a critical illness policy then you can check with your insurer if you can get a Personal accident cover as an add-on or you can just buy a standalone PA cover.
List of Additional Benefits that you can avail
In addition to the above-mentioned four personal accident insurance benefits, you can opt for the ones given below. Some plans would have these benefits in-built while some will give an option to buy them as an add-on:
- Educational Grant: By paying an additional premium you can get education cover for your children in the unfortunate event of your Death/Permanent Total Disability after an accident.
- Residence/Vehicle Modification: If the policyholders want they can get coverage for expenses towards the modification of the insured person’s vehicle or residential accommodation.
- Travel Expenses for One Relative (in Death cases): In this add-on, the insurer pays the actual transportation expenses to one relative of the policyholder.
- Purchase of Blood: The policy includes expenses incurred on purchasing blood through a Government approved blood bank or hospital.
- Enhanced weekly compensation: Enhanced weekly compensation can also be availed.
- Extension of Medical Expenses: You can get an extension for medical expenses up to a specified limit like Rs 5 lakh or something depending on your policy.
- Transportation of Imported Medicines: Expenses incurred on freight charges for importing medicines can also get included if you pay extra for the coverage.
- Hospital Cash Benefit: In cases of accidental hospitalization cash benefits for each day can also be availed up to a specified limit. The benefit of coverage is limited to a specific number of days.
- Home convalescence benefit: In some cases, doctors recommend one attendant at residence immediately after getting discharged from the hospital, so those expenses can also be covered in the insurance policy.
- Ambulance Expense Cover: You can also opt for this add-on if you want the insurance company to pay for hospital expenses to the hospital.
- Transportation/Repatriation of Mortal Remains: If the insured dies due to an accident, the nominee would receive the expenses incurred on repatriation of the mortal remains to the home/hospital/cremation ground. The insurer also compensates for the expenses incurred on the cremation ceremonies.
- Loan Protection cover: On suffering from any lifelong disability or an unexpected demise of the policyholder, the insurance company pays off a lump sum amount as per the policy wordings.
So, this was all about Personal accident cover and its add-on benefits. You can choose to buy any of these add-ons as per your needs. You can buy it online from Policy Bazaar and seek guidance to choose the best insurance policy from top insurance companies. Our experts will provide you fair opinion to help you find what you are looking for.
Written By: PolicyBazaar - Updated: 23 April 2021