Get <strong>₹5 Lac</strong> Health Insurance starts <strong>@ ₹315/<span>month*</span></strong>
Get ₹5 Lac Health Insurance starts @ ₹315/month*
Get ₹5 Lac Health Insurance starts @ ₹315/month*
250+ Plans 18 Insurance Companies
₹ 5 Lakh Coverage @ ₹ 10/day
7 Lakh+ Happy Customers

*All savings are provided by the insurer as per the IRDAI approved insurance plan. Standard T&C Apply
*Tax benefit is subject to changes in tax laws. Standard T&C Apply

Co-payment vs Deductible

Stepping into Health Insurance requires one to understand certain terms which may sound confusing. Among those, Co-payment and Deductible are both types of cost-sharing. It means that a part of your health care expense is paid by you and another part will be paid by the insurer. Both the terms sound similar then what's the difference?

 

Co-payment and Deductible differ in when & how much you have to pay and what's left over for your health policy to pay.

Co-payment vs Deductible

Co-payment vs Deductible

A co-payment is a pre-defined amount which the policyholder has to pay each time he or she gets a particular type of health care service. It is that portion of the claim which the insured agrees to bear in the event of a claim. The balance is to be paid by the insurance company. For example, if a person agrees to a co-pay of 10% and the approved claim is Rs 1 Lakh then he will need to shell out Rs 10,000. The rest 90% will be paid by the insurer.

A deductible is a fixed amount of money that the policyholder has to pay each year before his or her health insurance kicks in completely. On paying off the deductible, the health plan begins to pick up its share of the health care bills. Higher deductibles will lead to lower premiums and vice versa. It can also be called as out of pocket expense. For example, a person has a deductible of Rs 1,20,000. He gets the flu in January and sees a doctor. The doctor's bill is Rs 12,000. Since he has not paid his deductible this year, he will pay the entire bill. After paying the doctor's fees, he is left with Rs 1,08,000 to go on his yearly deductible. In March, he breaks his arm in an accident. Now the doctor's fee comes out to be Rs 1,80,000. In this situation, he will pay Rs 1,08,000 of this bill and the rest will be paid by his insurer. In April, he gets his cast removed. The bill comes out to be Rs 30,000. He doesn't have to pay any more since he has met his deductible for this year. His insurer will pay the full share of the bill.

So, the difference between a co-payment and a deductible is that a deductible is on once-yearly thing. Once the policyholder has met his deductible for the year, he doesn't have to pay any further deductible until the next year. A co-payment is an on-going process. The policyholder keeps paying co-payments each time when he gets a health care service.

673,165 Confirmed Cases in India*
11,812,443 Confirmed Cases worldwide*
528,465 Confirmed deaths worldwide*
Search
Disclaimer: Policybazaar does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
Sign up for newsletter
Sign up our newsletter and get email about health plans.

You May Also Want to Know About

Best Health Insurance Plans in India 2020

Best Health Insurance Plans in India 2020

Health insurance is amongst the most intricate insurance products, as it comes with numerous riders and benefits, and hence, there are so many variants to it. The insurance marketplace nationwide is quite competitive. You must consider comparing th...
Best Health Insurance Companies in India

Best Health Insurance Companies in India

Every year, a list of top health insurance companies in India is declared which helps in taking the right insurance decision. There are few important features that help it to rate the insurance companies, such as their performances, Incurred Claim ...
Top Maternity Insurance Plans

Top Maternity Insurance Plans

Maternity or pregnancy is an important phase of life, and one needs to prepare in advance to embrace parenthood. Though rearing a child is an expensive affair and may require good financial backup to meet the requirements of a growing baby. From ho...
Health Insurance Companies in India

Health Insurance Companies in India

There are lots of options as far as health insurance companies are concerned as both public as well as private health insurance providers are offering health insurance coverage in India. Every health insurance company offers different health insura...
Top Family Health Insurance Policies in India 2020

Top Family Health Insurance Policies in India 2020

From the air we breathe to the food we eat; everything is intentionally or unintentionally subjected to adulteration. Due to this, the disease rate in India is rising drastically. Naturally, more and more people are visiting hospitals frequently. A...