- Rs. 1 CroreTerm Cover @Rs 17/Day
- Tax BenefitsUnder Section 80C & 10(D)
- Extra BenefitsAccidental, Terminal & Critical Illness
- 12 Lac+Families Secured
We promise limited calls
PIL Issued to Insurance firms for offering Saving Plans
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1517 -
Modified 25 June 2014
Savings and investment plans are illegal as life insurance is a business to compensate the nominees in the event of demise of the policyholder and not on survival.
Gujarat high court, couple of days ago, demanded explanation from the Centre, IRDA and 19 insurance companies, including the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India, over a PIL suspecting the legality of life insurance products offered by the companies.
Petitioner Kailash Maheshwari, a city-based chartered accountant, has asked for action against insurance companies for fooling customers and for criminal conspiracy and to try them under provisions of Prize Chits and Money Circulation Scheme (Banning) Act as well as under anti-corruption laws.
The petitioner has urged that the notification allowing the levy of service tax on the savings part of the premium be taken down and that service tax be allowed only on the risk premium part. The PIL also asked for stay on collection of savings as well as investments by the life insurance companies and to make endowment plans as illegal, and refund the premium.
As per Maheshwari, Savings and investment plans are illegal as life insurance is a business to compensate the nominees in the event of demise of the policyholder and not on survival.
The petition says that according to the law, life insurance business is only meant to be a business to pay an amount to the beneficiaries in case of death of the policyholder. Payment on survival is not the offering of life insurance. Therefore, all the savings as well as investment plans are illegal as the insurance companies do not have the rights to gather savings or investments.
- Most Read
- How to Become a Crorepati by Investing Right
Date: 07 December 2017
- Term Insurance with More Than 100 Years of Coverage
Date: 14 November 2017
- All About Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana
Date: 13 November 2017
- Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana – Features, Benefits and Eligibility
Date: 25 October 2017
- 5 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Planning Retirement
Date: 24 October 2017
- Best 5 LIC Policies To Invest in 2017
Views : 1133516
- How to Check LIC Policy Status, Details, Statement via Online/SMS/Call
Views : 1119321
- A Quick Guide To Post Office Monthly Income Scheme
Views : 435592
- Best Term Insurance Plans in India with Claim Settlement Ratio
Views : 427640
- National Pension Scheme (NPS) – Govt Approved Pension Scheme
Views : 305266