- Rs. 1 CroreTerm Cover @Rs 17/Day
- Tax BenefitsUnder Section 80C & 10(D)
- Extra BenefitsAccidental, Terminal & Critical Illness
- 12 Lac+Families Secured
We promise limited calls
PIL Issued to Insurance firms for offering Saving Plans
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1933 -
Modified 25 June 2014
Savings and investment plans are illegal as life insurance is a business to compensate the nominees in the event of demise of the policyholder and not on survival.
Gujarat high court, couple of days ago, demanded explanation from the Centre, IRDA and 19 insurance companies, including the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India, over a PIL suspecting the legality of life insurance products offered by the companies.
Petitioner Kailash Maheshwari, a city-based chartered accountant, has asked for action against insurance companies for fooling customers and for criminal conspiracy and to try them under provisions of Prize Chits and Money Circulation Scheme (Banning) Act as well as under anti-corruption laws.
The petitioner has urged that the notification allowing the levy of service tax on the savings part of the premium be taken down and that service tax be allowed only on the risk premium part. The PIL also asked for stay on collection of savings as well as investments by the life insurance companies and to make endowment plans as illegal, and refund the premium.
As per Maheshwari, Savings and investment plans are illegal as life insurance is a business to compensate the nominees in the event of demise of the policyholder and not on survival.
The petition says that according to the law, life insurance business is only meant to be a business to pay an amount to the beneficiaries in case of death of the policyholder. Payment on survival is not the offering of life insurance. Therefore, all the savings as well as investment plans are illegal as the insurance companies do not have the rights to gather savings or investments.
- Most Read
- Tax Benefits on Life Insurance
Date: 30 July 2018
- How Life Insurance Help you To Stay Financially Safe?
Date: 23 July 2018
- 5 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Cancel Your Life Insurance Policy
Date: 23 July 2018
- How to Choose Life Insurance Plans According to Your Income?
Date: 22 June 2018
- 10 Risky Cities in India Where One Must Have Life Insurance
Date: 19 June 2018
- How to Check LIC Policy Status, Details, Statement via Online/SMS/Call
Views : 1756409
- LIC Online Payment - LIC Premium Payment Options & Process
Views : 243842
- How to Check PLI Status?
Views : 92614
- LIC Login Online: Step-by-Step Login Process to LIC website
Views : 92333
- एलआईसी पॉलिसी की स्थिति और प्रीमियम विवरण कैसे जांचें?
Views : 86188