- Rs. 5 Lakh Coverage @ Rs. 12.9/Day
- 7 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 100%Free Health Check-up
- 10,000+Hospitals for Cashless Treatment
We promise limited calls
Central Government Proposes New Senior Health Insurance Plan with Rs 1 Lakh Cover
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1846 -
Modified 16 November 2015
The central government is in the process of rolling out a new health insurance scheme for senior citizens above the age of 60 years that would provide a cover of Rs 1 Lakh annually for tertiary and secondary treatments. This new plan called Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) is modeled on the Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Bima Yojana and Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana schemes. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch this new scheme on 15thAugust, 2015.
This new scheme will bring relief to senior citizens as they often struggle to find a suitable health insurance cover. The plan would include an annual cover with the provision of cashless settlement of medical treatment expenses, and senior citizens can renew it annually.
Senior citizens must subscribe to this upcoming RSBY scheme individually. The central government would subsidize the premium up to 90% for citizens falling below the poverty line via the cash transfer to their bank accounts
Finance minister Arun Jaitley had previously announced in the Union Budget 2015-16 that the government would launch a Senior Citizen Welfare Fund, where the premium paid by the “vulnerable groups” will be subsidized. The unclaimed provident funds deposits will be used to meet the scheme’s objective.
Further, in his speech, the FM alleged, “The unclaimed PPF deposits are worth Rs 3,000 crore, while in EPF the corpus is worth Rs 6,000 crore. Although this new health scheme requires individual subscription, we predict that it would benefit a large pool of 2.7 crore BPL senior citizens above 60 years and the non-BPL senior citizens, too.”
The RSBY scheme would provide an insurance cover to BPL senior citizens worth Rs 30,000 and above. The FM is also contemplating of providing a cover worth Rs 1 Lakh annually for a family floater policy and that would include the senior citizens.
In his efforts to secure the citizens financially, the Prime Minister had launched the PMJDY on 15th August 2014. Under this scheme each family would have a minimum of two bank accounts, and since then 16.92 crore accounts have been opened.
Source: This news was published on July 23, 2015 in financialexpress.com under the title: “New senior health insurance plan with Rs 1 lakh cover in the offing”
- Most Read
- What you need to know about the Group Health Insurance Today?
Date: 19 July 2018
- How to use Mediclaim Policy Premium Calculator to Calculate Premium?
Date: 28 February 2018
- Best Family Health Insurance Plans for Expecting Parents in India
Date: 21 February 2018
- Top 8 Family Health Insurance Policies for 2018
Date: 21 February 2018
- Health Insurance for Differently-Abled Individuals
Date: 09 February 2018
- Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 299432
- List of Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 180329
- Top 5 Maternity Insurance Plans
Views : 156292
- Health Insurance Claims Ratio- Things You Should Look Before Buying Health Insurance
Views : 97910
- How does GST Impact your Insurance Premium?
Views : 62357