Affordable Health Care Plans in India
A while ago, the best way to get a healthcare insurance plan was to meet up with one of the sales representatives of a specific company who would then pitch the best features of a specific plan. The agent's usual approach is to mould their plan according to your needs and requisites to tempt you into buying that plan. But when you buy this way, you are left with a doubt in your mind that you might be missing out on other health plans that are comparatively cheaper as well as more beneficial. But online insurance portals such as Policybazaar have revamped and streamlined the entire insurance buying process. Now, finding affordable health care insurance has become superfast and super easy.
We’re sure you probably already know that medical care insurance is by no means cheap. However, there are more than one ways to get your hands on health coverage at a low price. If you want to save a big on premium, you can go basic. But if the riders are valuable and come at a little extra price, then they are worth adding to the plan. Another way to make your policy more affordable is to voluntarily go for higher deductibles and get discounts on premium.
The most overlooked health cover is the one given by the employer. At present, most of the employers get their employees covered under a group plan. However, an individual is covered only as long as he is an employee with that company. Hence, it seems that to buy a personal individual health plan cannot be compromised with.
Many insurers out there empathize with the consumers and offer low-cost medical coverage.
||Sum Insured (Rs.)
|Aditya Birla Health Insurance
||Active Assure Diamond Plan
||2 Lakh- 2 Crore
|Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance
||Health Guard Plan
||1.5 Lakh-50 Lakh
|Bharti AXA Health Insurance
||Bharti AXA Smart Health Assure Plan
||3 Lakh-5 Lakh
||91 days-65 years
|Cholamandalam Health Insurance
||Chola Healthline Plan
|Digit Health Insurance
|| Digit Health Insurance Plan
||2- 25 Lakh
|Edelweiss Health Insurance
|| Silver Health Insurance Plan
||Up to Rs 5 Lakh
|Future Generali Health Insurance
||Future Health Suraksha Individual Plan
||Rs 50,000- 10 Lakh
|HDFC Ergo Health Insurance (formerly known as Apollo Munich Health Insurance)
||Health Optima Restore Plan
||Rs 3 Lakh-50 Lakh
|HDFC Ergo General Health Insurance
||my: health Suraksha Silver Smart
||Rs 3 Lakh-5 Lakh
|IFFCO Tokio Health Insurance
||Rs 50,000-25 Lakh
|Kotak Mahindra Health Insurance
|| Kotak Health Premier
|Liberty Health Insurance
|| Health Connect Supra Top-up
||Up to Rs 1 Crore
|Max Bupa Health Insurance
||Companion Individual Health Plan
||3 Lakh-1 Cr.
||91 days and above
|Manipal CIGNA Health Insurance
||2.5 Lakh- 1 Crore
|National Health Insurance
|| National Parivar Mediclaim Plus
||Up to 50 Lakh
|New India Assurance Health Insurance
||New India Assurance Senior Citizen Medi claim Policy
|Oriental Health Insurance
||Individual Mediclaim Health Plan
|Religare Health Insurance
||Care Health Plan
||4 Lakh-6 Crore
||18 years & above
|Raheja QBE Health Insurance
|| Basic Health QuBE
||1 Lakh-2 Lakh3 Lakh-50 Lakh
|Royal Sundaram Health Insurance
||Lifeline Supreme Plan
||18 years & above
|Reliance Health Insurance
||Health Gain Insurance Plan
||Plan A- 3 Lakh, 6 Lakh, 9 Lakh
|Star Health Insurance
||Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan
||1 Lakh-25 Lakh
|SBI Health Insurance
||Arogya Premier Policy
||10 Lakh-30 Lakh
|Tata AIG Health Insurance
||Tata AIG MediCare Plan
||3 Lakh-20 Lakh
|United India Health Insurance
||United India UNI Criticare Health Insurance
||1,3,5, & 10 Lakh
|Universal Sompo Health Insurance
||Individual Health Plan
||Up to 5 Lakh
||Up to 55 years
Disclaimer : *Policybazaar does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
* Kindly note that the premium differs from age to age, on whether you are taking an individual policy or a family floater and on various other factors. However, for keeping uniformity in comparison, we have mentioned the lowest possible premium under a plan. You should assume that the lowest premium is for the individual plan with the lowest sum assured for <45 yrs age group.
1. Aditya Birla Active Assure Diamond Plan
Aditya Birla Active Assure Diamond health plan is a comprehensive health insurance policy that offers maximum financial protection during medical emergencies.
- Under this plan expenses incurred on 586 day-care medical procedures are paid by the insurer
- Additionally, Ayush treatment expenses including Yoga, Ayurveda, Unani, Naturopathy, Siddha, and Homeopathy are also included in the coverage benefits.
- Some of the special benefits include second medical opinion on critical illnesses, domestic and international emergency evacuation cover.
2. Bajaj Allianz Health Guard Plan
Bajaj Allianz Health Guard insurance policy is designed to cover hospitalization expenses for both individuals as well as families.
- If you are between the age group of 18 and 65 years you can buy this medical insurance policy.
- The insurer pays to the policyholder for the hospitalization expenses in case of an illness or injury.
- Additionally, it is designed to cover maternity expenses, Ayurvedic and homeopathy treatment costs, organ donor expenses, bariatric surgeries, and day-care medical procedures that require less than 24-hours of hospitalization.
3. Bharti AXA Smart Health Assure Plan
The policy pays the policyholder for in-patient hospitalization along with the following benefits:
- Expenses incurred on Ayush treatment, maternity expenses with new-born baby cover, ambulance charges, domiciliary hospitalization, and organ donor expenses up to the sum insured limit.
- In addition to this, it also pays a lumpsum amount for critical illnesses.
- Moreover, it provides 100% restoration of the sum insured amount.
4. Cholamandalam Healthline Plans
Chola Healthline plan comes in 4 variants i.e. Value Healthline, Freedom Healthline, Enrich Healthline, and Privilege Healthline plan.
- The benefits offered under this plan include in-patient hospitalization, pre and post hospitalization cover, Ayush treatment, ambulance charges, domiciliary hospitalization, and organ donor expenses.
- Privilege Healthline plan pays for maternity expenses up to 2 deliveries with new-born baby cover.
- Some of the additional benefits include child hospitalization allowance, specialist opinion for critical illness, outpatient dental expenses, etc.
5. Digit Health Insurance Plan
Digit health insurance policy covers hospitalization incurred on the treatment of an illness or injury including COVID-19 medical expenses.
- There is a no age-based co-payment under this plan
- The policy offers complimentary health check-up facilities, psychiatric illness, bariatric surgery, ICU room rent, coronavirus treatment and the likewise
- Some add-on benefits include Alternative treatment cover, zone upgrade, and maternity benefit with new-born baby hospitalization cover
6. Edelweiss Health Insurance Silver Plan
This health insurance policy by Edelweiss health insurance covers hospitalization expenses up to the sum insured limit.
- The policyholder can take admission in a single private room when hospitalized, with no capping on the ICU charges
- Pre and post hospitalization expenses are covered for 30 days and 60 days respectively
- The policy also covers domiciliary hospitalization expenses and Ayush treatments expenses up the sum insured limit
- You also get No-claim-bonus benefit ranging from 10% for each claim-free year and up to a maximum of 50%
7. Future Health Suraksha Health Insurance Plan
This plan is available in 4 variants i.e. Gold, Platinum, Ruby and Topaz. In addition to the hospitalization expenses Future Health Suraksha policy also covers:
- 409 day-care procedures are also covered under this policy
- It provides patient care benefits, and hospital cash benefits to the policyholder
- Organ donor medical expenses are also covered
- 10% cumulative bonus is offered every claim-free year
8. HDFC Health Optima Restore Plan
HDFC Health Optima Restore is a health insurance plan that offers wider coverage benefits with long-term coverage option up to 3-years with the following benefits:
- In addition to the hospitalization bills, it also covers home treatment expenses
- It offers 100% restoration of the sum insured and multiplier benefits
- E-opinion medical facility is also provided along with 8 specified critical illnesses
9. HDFC Ergo my: health Suraksha Silver Smart
HDFC Ergo my: health Suraksha Silver Smart is an affordable health insurance policy with sum insured option up to Rs 5 Lakh.
- There is no capping on room charges under this plan and you can avail cashless home healthcare facility
- In this health insurance policy sum insured rebound benefit is also provided
- No medical expense is required up to the age of 65 years
- The policy covers hospitalization expenses and provides the option to pay the premium in instalments
10. Iffco Tokio Heath Protector Policy
Iffco Tokio Heath Protector is a health insurance policy that offers medical expense cover at an affordable premium
- The policy pays for hospitalization costs including room rent, ICU, registration charges, doctor/surgeon fees, vitamins, tonics, organ donor expenses, Ayush expenses and domiciliary treatments
- Some of the additional benefits in this medical insurance policy include compensation for day care surgeries, vaccination expenses etc.
11. Kotak Health Premier
A comprehensive health insurance plan that offers protection along with value-added benefits:
- Along with hospitalization expenses the health insurance policy covers ICU treatment charges, OT charges, and 405 day-care procedures
- Sum insured is 100% restored
- 10% cumulative bonus is offered for every claim-free year
- Second e-opinion cover, air ambulance cover, organ donor cover, maternity cover, hospital daily cash cover, and compassionate visit cover is also provided in this plan
12. Liberty Health Connect Supra Top-up
Liberty Health Connect Supra is a top-up health insurance plan to enhance the policy coverage benefits:
- The policy offers multiple sum insured and deductible options to choose from
- Worldwide coverage benefit is also offered
- Ayush treatment expenses are compensated as well
13. Max Bupa Companion Individual Health Plan
The policy is available in three variants with different sum insured options at an affordable price:
- There is no room-rent capping under this policy
- It offers refill of the sum insured in case it is exhausted on a treatment
- Health check-up facilities and animal bite vaccination cover is also provided
14. Manipal Cigna Pro HealthPlan
The policy offers a wider range of sum insured options with a cashless treatment facility in 6500 network hospitals:
- You can get a 25% increase in your sum insured and up to 200% with No-claim-bonus
- 100% restoration of the sum insured is provided
- Room up-gradation is also possible in this health insurance plan
- There is no age bar for enrolment in this plan
- Domiciliary hospitalization cover along with alternative treatment cover is also provided under this health insurance plan
15. National Parivar Mediclaim Plus Policy
The policy offers comprehensive health insurance cover at an affordable premium:
- You can choose long-term policy cover for 1,2,3 years
- Parents can cover children up to the age of 18 years
- This health insurance policy is renewable for a lifetime
16. New India Assurance Senior Citizen Medi claim Policy
New India Assurance Senior Citizen Medi claim is a health insurance policy for people above the age of 60 years:
- It covers hospitalization expenses up to Rs 1.5 lakh and comes at a nominal premium
- 5% of the cumulative bonus is offered every year for not filing a claim, which can go up to 30%
17. Oriental Individual Mediclaim Health Plan
This is a comprehensive health insurance policy that comes at an affordable price:
- The policy covers hospitalization expenses including surgeon fees, room and ICU charges, diagnostic tests, dialysis, chemotherapy, lab tests, etc.
- The insurer also provides a family discount of 10%
- And pre-medical screening is not required for applicants up to the age of 55 years
18. Religare Care Health Insurance Plan
Religare care health insurance plan is a comprehensive family medical policy that covers hospitalization expenses incurred due to an illness, accident or injury:
- You can choose the sum insured as low as Rs 4 Lakh to Rs 6 Crore
- With NCB Super you can get 150% restoration of sum insured
- The insurer also pays for modern treatments including HIV, robotic surgery and AIDS
19. Raheja Health QuBE Basic Health Insurance Policy
Raheja Health QuBE offers a basic health insurance plan with nominal premium:
- The policy offers health insurance coverage to individuals who are 18 years and above
- The plan comes with lifetime renewability option
- It also has a provision to cover some specific non-medical expenses
20. Royal Sundaram Lifeline Supreme Plan
This health insurance plan is designed for families and individuals and reduced out-of-pocket expenses:
- The insurer pays for hospitalization expenses, day-care procedures, AYUSH treatments, and domiciliary hospitalization expenses
- Yearly health check-up facility can be availed by the policyholder
- The policy also covers the expenses incurred on second medical opinion require for a treatment
- It also covers expenses incurred on emergency domestic evacuation services
21. Reliance Health Gain Insurance Policy
Reliance Health Gain is a health insurance policy that helps individual and families meet their hospitalization expenses:
- This policy offers benefits like pre and post hospitalization expense cover, cashless hospitalization, and numerous other add-on features
- The base sum insured amount is increased by 33.33% for every claim-free year
- You can avail 7.5% discount on the purchase of a 2-year policy
22. Star Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan
This health insurance policy provides coverage to individuals and families at an affordable price
- This policy can also cover dependent children between the age group of 3 months and 25 years
- It offers several benefits including hospitalization cover, air ambulance expense cover, delivery and new-born baby cover
- The policyholder can also claim for Ophthalmic Treatment or outpatient dental expenses once in three years of the policy term
- Bariatric surgery procedures are also covered up to Rs 2.5 Lakh/5 Lakh
23. SBI Arogya Premier Policy
SBI Arogya Premier Policy comes with a wide range of features and benefits:
- It covers 60 days of pre-hospitalization and 90 days of post hospitalisation expenses during the treatment
- The insurer also pays for air ambulance charges, maternity expenses, and organ donor expenses
- The insurer also provides easy portability benefits
- You can claim for 142-daycare procedures under this policy
24. Tata AIG MediCare Plan
Tata AIG health insurance has designed this plan for individuals as well as families. You can buy this policy for 1,2 and 3 years.
- This is an affordable plan to cover a family of up to 7 members
- It offers a range of benefits to the insured along with Global medical cover
- It also provides a 50% increase in the sum insured amount for every claim-free year
- You can claim for hospitalization expenses, day care procedures, and domiciliary treatment charges
25. United India UNI Criticare Health Insurance Plan
- 11 critical illnesses are covered in this plan
- The payment is done in the lump sum upon diagnoses of any of the specified critical illnesses during the policy term
26. Universal Sompo Individual Health Plan
This health insurance policy covers treatment taken in an hospital and nursing home:
- It covers hospitalization charges on nursing fees, surgeon cost, boarding charges, room, oxygen, blood, etc.
- If the treatment required domiciliary hospitalization, then the insurer pays for the same
A Word of Advice
So, there you have it - the top 4 most affordable health care insurance plans in India. Remember, industry experts and veterans believe that buying a health plan solely based on premium is a grave mistake. So while choosing healthcare insurance, you should remember to give priority to the coverage and exclusions over the overall price of the insurance product.
Disclaimer : *Policybazaar does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
Written By: PolicyBazaar - Updated: 24 June 2020