Some might fear it or some might just feel embarrassed to reveal that their health and daily routine is taking a toll on their body. In situations like this, the elderly try to avoid the reaction of their family, as it might distance their children or maybe they fear not getting a helping hand in return. But they need to be informed that, if you know about their health conditions, you can get them insured with a senior citizen mediclaim policy.
It’s your responsibility as a child to convince them to not keep these health issues under wraps, as it can prove to be dangerous in the future. Make them comfortable with disclosing their feelings and health issues with you. They can succumb to falls, bruises, blood pressure, diabetes problem, accidents and so many other things, but there a numerous family health insurance plans which can give them a cover.
Looking at these secretive habits of aging parents, it’s imperative for you to consider these few warning signs -
- Wrong Eating Practices - With advancing age, the first symptom that the elderly exhibit is a loss of appetite or consuming stale food due to laziness. Their body becomes weak and they find it difficult to cook for themselves. Whereas, taking a light and healthy diet is a prerequisite at their age. If you can afford it, you should get a cook, who can cook healthy food for them. It would be even better if you could cook for them, yourself because ‘we are what we eat’ and for your elderly parents, this will be a great help!
- Maintaining Hygiene - Old people are not very active, thus they refrain from taking regular baths out of body weakness, and this creates body odor. They might not even change their clothes regularly, and may neglect their nails, hair and teeth. So, ensure that you take care of these things, if they can’t do it on their own.
- Home Cleanliness - They might fail at keeping their home and surroundings clean and fresh. If you want your parents to stay hygienically, keep a helper to clean their house on daily basis.
- Habit of Forgetting - This is one of them most common symptoms, which come with age, i.e. forgetfulness. It can be anything from a doctor’s appointment to names of people, bills or medicines and even their daily routine tasks.
- Less Movement - Check if they are losing their mobility or are they facing difficulty while driving? Do they face any difficulty while getting out of their bed? Can they walk properly? Are they able to perform other routing activities which involve movement?
Some Prominent Symptoms which Your Parents Might be Going Through -
- Risk of Falling - There will come a stage when, it will become difficult for your parents to walk on their own. Your parents would need some kind of support while walking. Sudden fall makes for one of the leading causes of older people’s injuries, bruises, bone breaking or, even, death, as per the hospital reports. They might not tell you out of the fear of having to depend on the support of a walker or wheelchair.
- Prolonged Pain -There are chances that your parents will not tell you about the recent pain they might be experiencing. They often tend to downplay such aches as just an effect of aging, but they could also be a symptom of something more sinister. So, make it a point to check with them for the same and provide them the necessary treatment and medical help.
- Felling Dizzy - Low blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid and medications can be one of the primary reasons for your parents feeling dizzy throughout the day.
- Inability to Drive - Your parents might face some trouble while driving their car. It can be a vision problem, inability to drive or move or simply a problem of awareness. They withhold these symptoms, because they do not want to lose their independence to drive. However, this can lead to a fatal disaster, so make sure you discreetly assess their faculties from time to time.
- Financial troubles - When you were not earning, it was your parents who took care of your expenses. Now it’s your turn to pay them back with emotional and financial support. You can start by buying a senior citizen mediclaim policy to secure their health expenditures so they can avail the best medical attention for their ailments.
What can You do to Keep Your Parent’s Health and Wellbeing?
Most importantly, try to stay with your parents and if you cannot stay because of your job requirements in different city or country, you can do as mentioned below -
- Health insurance - Amid the sedentary lifestyle and growing health problems, there are different family health insurance plans available in the market. Get your parents covered against health, physical and financial damages, by purchasing the best of such plans for them as well.
- Communicate - If you periodically share your feelings and worries for them, you will be able to motivate them to take better care of themselves or inform you about any symptoms of their deteriorating health conditions. They will not avoid their doctor’s appointments and will tell you about the same, when they know you genuinely care about their health.
- Encourage them to visit the healthcare provider - You would need to take efforts and help your parents by fixing a doctor appointment, especially, if you see them going through any of the above symptoms. Timely health check-ups can be of great help and keep them updated about their health conditions.
- Take safety measures - Identify the problems, that your parents are facing, and then try to provide them with a solution - be it making the house more senior-friendly, using toilet seats, etc.
Keep a check on your parent’s mood and feelings, to ensure they do not succumb to loneliness or depression.
Your elderly parents might not tell you blatantly, when they need help. It’s your responsibility to identify their health issues, if any. Make them comfortable with sharing their changing health conditions with you, so that you can also take the necessary measures. Let them know that you care about them and keep their health insured with senior citizen mediclaim policy.
Written By: PolicyBazaar - Updated: 29 July 2021