- Rs. 5 Lakh Coverage @ Rs. 12.9/Day*
*Standard T&C Apply
- 7 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 10,000+Hospitals for Cashless Treatment
Is Cesarean Delivery Covered Under Health Insurance Plans?
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 12460 -
Updated date : 31 October 2018
Having a child and starting a family is an important milestone in everyone’s life. For the mother a child brings an emotional responsibility while for a father the associated financial responsibility is a major concern.
Parenthood changes every parent’s priorities and while the child’s responsibility is shared between the husband and the wife, the expenses related to the child are usually the responsibility of the husband. At today’s age when expenses are inflating at an unending pace, meeting such costs is increasingly becoming difficult.
Upbringing of a child is expensive and so are the expenses involved in childbirth. While a normal delivery may cost less, a Cesarean delivery rakes up the hospital bills and if you do not have a health insurance plan to pay for your bills, such costs would wipe out your savings in a jiffy.
What if we tell you that some health insurance plans cover maternity expenses maternity expenses under their coverage options? Under such maternity coverage, both normal as well as cesarean deliveries are covered.
As per the latest numbers, a Cesarean delivery is more common and the preferred child-birth procedure and such deliveries are expensive ranging from Rs.30, 000 to Rs.1 lakh. Having your health insurance cover for the Cesarean delivery would be a relief to you in terms of finances. Though some health plans cover Cesarean deliveries, there are certain points which should be kept in mind.
- A compulsory waiting period – Every health plan which covers maternity expenses would cover it after a waiting period. This period ranges from 2 years to 6 years and the period should be considered before buying the plan. Specialized maternity plans may have a lower waiting period but the concept of waiting period would be applicable in every plan providing maternity coverage. For instance, Max Bupa’s Heartbeat Gold Plan covers Cesarean deliveries after a waiting period of 2 years while special maternity plan by Religare Health 'Joy' covers it after 9 months.
- Limitation on the coverage amount – There is a capping on the maximum allowable amount covering a Cesarean delivery. This capping depends on the amount of Sum Assured opted for and the plan variant. The amount usually ranges from Rs.40, 000 to Rs.1 lakh. So, before you buy the plan, check the allowable limit so that before you go for the delivery you would know the extent of the bill your health plan would cover.
- Other maternity coverages – Other than your Cesarean delivery, some health plans also provide coverage for complications during child-birth, pre-natal and post-natal expenses and ambulance costs. Moreover, the new-born baby might also be included in the cover till policy renewal along with the baby’s related vaccination expenses.
- Premium – Obvious to state, the premium for the plans which cover your Cesarean delivery would be on the higher side. Plans with maternity coverage always entail a higher premium for the coverage granted.
Thus, your Cesarean delivery would be covered under health insurance plans but only some plans provide this coverage. Such plans include:
Waiting period for maternity coverage
Maximum allowable limit for Cesarean delivery
Max Bupa Heartbeat
Rs.20,000 to Rs.80,000
Apollo Munich Easy Health
3 or 4 years depending on plan variant
Rs.25,000 to Rs.50,000
Star Wedding Gift Insurance
Rs.20,000 or Rs.25,000
Rs.35,000 to Rs.50,000
Note: This is a sample list and may not cover the plans coming up in the market
Rest assured! Your child birth expenses can be borne by the health insurance plan and while selecting a plan for such requirement, keep in mind the points mentioned above.
- Most Read
- Things to Know Before Picking a Health Insurance Plan
Date: 15 October 2019
- Health Card vs. Health Insurance with OPD Coverage
Date: 26 September 2019
- India's Great Healthcare Challenge, Also an Opportunity
Date: 25 September 2019
- All About Pre-Insurance Medical Check-Up in Health Insurance
Date: 24 September 2019
- Know the Network Hospital Before Buying Health Insurance
Date: 23 September 2019
- Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 549698
- Top 5 Maternity Insurance Plans
Views : 302260
- List of Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 248546
- Top 8 Family Health Insurance Policies for 2019
Views : 199946
- Health Insurance Claims Ratio- Things You Should Look Before Buying Health Insurance
Views : 156223
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator