- Rs. 5 Lakh Coverage @ Rs. 12.9/Day*
*Standard T&C Apply
- 7 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 10,000+Hospitals for Cashless Treatment
Looking for a Health Cover for Alternative or Traditional Treatments?
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 4595 -
Updated date : 30 April 2019
The rising stress level caused by fast-paced life is prompting people to look towards traditional treatments like Ayurveda, Unani and Homeopathy.
However, a few years back, health insurers were reluctant to cover alternative treatments. It is only allopathy that they trusted. But now slowly insurers have started including alternative treatments and this is quite a relief for policyholders looking out beyond allopathy.
Let’s dig deep into the health insurance coverage available for alternative or traditional treatments.
Health Coverage for Traditional Treatments
At present, there is no standalone health cover for traditional treatment. To get coverage for traditional treatment, one has to buy standard health insurance which covers non-allopathic medications. Some insurance companies also offer coverage under their group health policy on request.
Where to Seek Treatment?
To get coverage for alternative treatments, the patient should have undergone treatment in either a government hospital or an institute recognized by the government. Also, patients can choose to be treated in centres, which are recognized by the QCI (Quality Council of India) and the National Accreditation Board of Health (NABH).
Exclusions of Traditional Health Cover
The following traditional treatments are not covered by the insurer-
- Naturopathy treatments
- Comfort treatments like steam bath, sauna, oil massages, etc.
- Hospitalization for investigation purpose only
- Treatment availed outside India
- Treatment at a healthcare facility which is not a hospital
Insurers offering Alternative Treatment Coverage
At present, the following insurance companies are covering alternative medicines under different health insurance plans-
- New India Insurance Mediclaim Policy: It covers Ayurvedic/Homeopathic/Unani treatment up to 25% of sum insured
- Chola Individual Healthline Insurance Policy: It covers traditional treatments up to 7.5% of the sum insured and with 20% co-payment clause.
- Tata AIG MediPrime-: It offers coverage up to Rs 20,000 if the sum insured is less than Rs 5,00,000 and Rs 25,000 if the sum insured is more than Rs 5,00,000.
- HDFC Ergo Health Suraksha: It pays for medical expenditure for in-patient treatment taken under Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha or Homeopathy.
- Star Health Insurance: It covers non-allopathic treatments up to 25% of the sum insured subject to the maximum of Rs 25,000.
- Bajaj Allianz: It offers 100% cover for in-patient hospitalization for Ayurvedic/ Homeopathic treatments, without any sub-limits.
- Apollo Munich: It covers Ayurvedic, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy treatments up to Rs 50,000.
Carefully Read the Fine Print
Though the insurance coverage for traditional treatments has expanded, there are curbs on the amount and situations under which it can be availed. One should carefully verify the treatments covered by insurers to ensure the hassle-free claim settlement.
- Most Read
- Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 534370
- Top 5 Maternity Insurance Plans
Views : 293492
- List of Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 243478
- Top 8 Family Health Insurance Policies for 2019
Views : 187814
- Health Insurance Claims Ratio- Things You Should Look Before Buying Health Insurance
Views : 152816
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator