Health Insurance Covers Traditional Treatments
Updated 11 June 2020
Unlike many other static products in the insurance market, health insurance is evolving. Typical health insurance covers hospitalization expenses incurred during the treatment procedure. However, health insurers have acknowledged the necessity of traditional and alternative medicine like Ayurveda, homoeopathy, Unani etc and included them in health insurance coverage.
In India, people prefer Ayurvedic medicines which are based on plant-based medicine and are not keen on western medicine. Since Ayurvedic treatments have their foundation in natural treatments, it becomes alluring to Indian masses. Ayurvedic, homoeopathy treatments usually were covered by a few health insurers under group health insurance scheme but unavailable for individual customers.
By including traditional medicines in individual plans, health insurers are covering a niche segment. One has to be hospitalized for more than 24 hrs in a recognized hospital to claim for the treatment taken. Also, treatment has had some positive remedial effect is also a requirement by some insurers for accepting the claim.
Ayurveda is most readily covered by new health insurance policies but the same is not true for other traditional medicines like naturopathy, Unani etc. Naturopathy is not covered under any health insurance policy.
Standalone traditional medicine cover is not available presently but only available with standard health insurance policies.
But There is Limited Coverage:
The coverage of alternative medicines is dependent on the particular insurer. Some health insurers cover only Ayurvedic treatments while some cover all of them. There is also a cap on the amount covered which usually ranges from 7.5% to 25% of Sum Assured.
Ayurveda has many treatments which are for rejuvenation of the body, which is not covered by the health insurer to avoid any misuse by the insured. The Ayurvedic treatments covered by health insurer are dependent on the health insurer.
Health Insurance Covering Ayurvedic Health Care
- Aditya Birla Activ Diamond Assure Plan is a comprehensive health insurance policy that covers in-patient Ayush treatment expenses including Ayurveda, Unani, and Siddha treatment.
- Bajaj Allianz Health Guard Plan offers Ayurvedic/homoeopathic treatment cover in case the insured is admitted in a hospital for more than 24 hours.
- Bharti AXA Smart Super health insurance policy also offers coverage for Ayush treatment expenses
- Cholamandalam Family Healthline insurance policy offers a sum insured up to Rs 15 Lakh and covers the cost of both Ayurvedic and Allopathy treatments
- Digit health insurance gives an option to get Ayush cover as an add-on benefit
- Edelweiss health insurance plan also offers Ayush benefits to the insured members
- HDFC Ergo my: health Suraksha Silver Smart Insurance Plan covers alternate therapies such as Unani, Siddha, homeopathy, and Ayurveda as a part of Ayush treatment benefits
- HDFC ERGO Easy Health Insurance Premium Plan (formerly known as Apollo Munich) offers Ayush Benefit that covers medical expenses in a government hospital
- Iffco Tokio Individual Health Protector Policy also offers Ayush cover to the policyholder
- Kotak Health Premier Plan offers Alternative treatment cover including Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Yoga, homeopathy, and Siddha
- Liberty Health Connect Supra Top-up health insurance plan also gives an option to avail Ayush treatment cover as an add-on benefit
- Max Bupa Health Companion offers in-patient hospitalization expenses for alternative treatments such as Unani, Ayurveda, Siddha, & Homeopathy up to the base coverage amount
- Manipal Cigna Pro health Plus Plan provides sum insured options up to Rs 50 Lakh and covers alternative medicine expenses including Ayush treatment
- National Mediclaim Plus policy the recompenses for Ayurvedic, allopathic and homeopathic treatment up to 100% of the sum insured amount
- New India Assurance Senior Citizen Mediclaim policy offers limited cover for Ayurvedic, Unani, and Homeopathy treatments in government or registered hospitals
- Under Oriental Super Health Top-up plan the policyholder can avail Ayush treatment including Ayurveda, Yoga, and Naturopathy in government registered hospitals
- Religare Care health insurance plan also offers coverage for Ayush treatment expenses
- Royal Sundaram Lifeline Elite medical insurance policy includes compensation for Ayush treatment up to Rs 30,000
- Star HealthMedi Classic plan covers non-allopathic treatment up to 25% of Sum Insured up to a maximum of Rs 25,000
- SBI Arogya Premier policy covers alternative treatment costs in recognized or accredited hospitals
- TATA AIG MediPrime policy covers in-patient hospitalization expenses incurred on Ayurveda treatment
- United India Individual Mediclaim plan covers hospitalization expenses incurred on Ayush treatment expenses.
- Universal Sompo Super Healthcare Insurance offers coverage for alternative treatments including Ayush hospitalization
Though traditional medicines are being covered by the new health insurance plans, there are still a few exclusions. One should verify the treatments covered before buying a particular health insurance policy
Disclaimer : *Policybazaar does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.