- Rs. 5 Lakh Coverage @ Rs. 12.9/Day
- 7 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 100%Free Health Check-up
- 10,000+Hospitals for Cashless Treatment
We promise limited calls
ESIC Adjourns Proposal to Free Workers from Mandatory Health Scheme
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1145 -
Modified 17 April 2015
The Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has postponed the proposal to provide an option to its 1.95 crore subscribers to choose health insurance products available in the market in lieu of the mandatory health scheme run by ESIC.
"The proposal to provide an option to buy health insurance products in lieu of ESI, was taken up for discussion in the board meeting, which was held under the chairmanship of Mr. Bandaru Dattatreya, Labour Minister. But no decision was taken as unionist expressed reservation against it," said Mr. G Sanjeeva Reddy, President of Indian National Trade Union.
Further, Mr. Bandaru Dattatreya stated the ministry will further examine the proposed amendment of ESI Act, 1948 after taking into account views of meetings and stakeholders of ESIC.
With regard to medical education; ESIC has decided to continue to run its 4 medical colleges in Rohini (Delhi), Joka (Kolkata), K K Nagar (Chennai) and Rajajinagar (Bangalore) but no further medical education project will be taken by ESIC. Board members reiterated that imparting medical education is not the activity of ESIC and so it should exit the same. However, within this approach, each medical college may need specific decision.
Source: This article has been adapted from the article "ESIC defers proposal on private health insurance products" that appeared on April 7, 2015 in economictimes.com.
- Most Read
- What are the Benefits of Buying Insurance Online?
Date: 13 October 2017
- 4 Things You Shouldn’t Ignore While Buying Maternity Plans
Date: 13 October 2017
- 10 Special Tax Benefits for Senior Citizens
Date: 29 September 2017
- How to Choose the Best Health Insurance Policy in India
Date: 28 September 2017
- How a Family Floater Health Plan Can Be The Saviour of Your Family?
Date: 26 September 2017
- Best Health Insurance Plans in India
Views : 326494
- Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 132408
- List of Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 131535
- Top 5 Maternity Insurance Plans
Views : 76902
- Health Insurance Claims Ratio- Things You Should Look Before Buying Health Insurance
Views : 57451