- Rs. 5 Lakh Coverage @ Rs. 12.9/Day
- 7 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 100%Free Health Check-up
- 10,000+Hospitals for Cashless Treatment
We promise limited calls
ESIC Adjourns Proposal to Free Workers from Mandatory Health Scheme
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 1603 -
Modified 17 April 2015
The Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has postponed the proposal to provide an option to its 1.95 crore subscribers to choose health insurance products available in the market in lieu of the mandatory health scheme run by ESIC.
"The proposal to provide an option to buy health insurance products in lieu of ESI, was taken up for discussion in the board meeting, which was held under the chairmanship of Mr. Bandaru Dattatreya, Labour Minister. But no decision was taken as unionist expressed reservation against it," said Mr. G Sanjeeva Reddy, President of Indian National Trade Union.
Further, Mr. Bandaru Dattatreya stated the ministry will further examine the proposed amendment of ESI Act, 1948 after taking into account views of meetings and stakeholders of ESIC.
With regard to medical education; ESIC has decided to continue to run its 4 medical colleges in Rohini (Delhi), Joka (Kolkata), K K Nagar (Chennai) and Rajajinagar (Bangalore) but no further medical education project will be taken by ESIC. Board members reiterated that imparting medical education is not the activity of ESIC and so it should exit the same. However, within this approach, each medical college may need specific decision.
Source: This article has been adapted from the article "ESIC defers proposal on private health insurance products" that appeared on April 7, 2015 in economictimes.com.
- Most Read
- Everything You Need to Know about HDFC ERGO Health Insurance Policy
Date: 22 August 2018
- Guide to Health Insurance Plans Offered by Star Health Insurance
Date: 17 August 2018
- Should you Include Your Parents in Employer’s Group Health Insurance?
Date: 13 August 2018
- Tips to Buy and Renew Cigna TTK Health Insurance Online
Date: 23 July 2018
- What you need to know about the Group Health Insurance Today?
Date: 19 July 2018
- Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 344197
- List of Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 191773
- Top 5 Maternity Insurance Plans
Views : 177285
- Health Insurance Claims Ratio- Things You Should Look Before Buying Health Insurance
Views : 107469
- How does GST Impact your Insurance Premium?
Views : 65408