Best Health Insurance Companies in India
Every year, a list of top health insurance companies in India is declared which helps in taking the right insurance decision. There are few important features that help it to rate the insurance companies, such as their performances, Incurred Claim Ratio, and overall benefits offered to their customers. With the increasing risk of life-threatening diseases and the soaring costs of medical treatment having an adequate health insurance cover is the need of the hour.
There are a plethora of options when it comes down to buying health insurance policy for you. Not only this, there are several insurance providers that offer the best deal of health insurance to its customers. However, it is not possible to figure out which is the best insurer that can actually fulfil all your needs and requirements while deciding an appropriate health plan for you.
You may also like: Coronavirus Health Insurance Plans in India
We have listed some of the best health insurance providers in India. You can check their Incurred claim ratio, the number of network hospitals, and other features while selecting a best health insurance provider. Below is the list of top health insurance companies in India. You can compare them based on coverage benefits and their features and then make a choice.
Let’s read about some of the best health insurance companies in India.
Disclaimer : *Policybazaar does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
|Health Insurance Companies
||Incurred Claim Ratio
|Aditya Birla Health Insurance
|Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance
|Bharti AXA Health Insurance
|Cholamandalam Health Insurance
|Digit Health Insurance
|Edelweiss Health Insurance
|Future Generali Health Insurance
|HDFC Ergo Health Insurance (formerly known as Apollo Munich Health Insurance)
|HDFC Ergo General Health Insurance
|IFFCO Tokio Health Insurance
|Kotak Mahindra Health Insurance
|Liberty Health Insurance
|Max Bupa Health Insurance
|Manipal CIGNA Health Insurance
|National Health Insurance
|New India Assurance Health Insurance
|Oriental Health Insurance
|Religare Health Insurance
|Raheja QuBE Health Insurance
|Royal Sundaram Health Insurance
|Reliance Health Insurance
|Star Health Insurance
|SBI Health Insurance
|Tata AIG Health Insurance
|United India Health Insurance
|Universal Sompo Health Insurance
See More Plans
Aditya Birla health insurance company is a subsidiary of Aditya Birla Capital Ltd. It was launched to simplify the general insurance services for its customers. The company has a strong reputation with insurance providers across the globe such as in South-East Asia, Middle East, and South Asia. Listed below are the benefits and features of buying medical insurance from Aditya Birla health insurance company:
- The insurance company offers cashless treatment in more than 5850 hospitals across 650 cities in India
- The insurer offers access to more than 800 fitness centres, yoga’s, gyms, and more
- The policyholders can also avail discounts on medicines across 2300 pharmacies in more than 250 cities
- In-patient Ayush treatment cover is also provided as per the plan opted
- The insurance company also provides access to fitness assessment centres, wellness centres, diagnostic centres in addition to the hospitalization centres
Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company has some health products that are very beneficial for customers from a particular age group. Bajaj Allianz Insurance Company was the first to provide captive TPA services with certain additional benefits. Its Incurred Claim Ratio is 85% for the fiscal year 2018-19. Below are some of the features of Bajaj Allianz Medical Insurance plans:
- Once can select from 3 major health insurance products namely- Health Guard, Silver Health, and Star Package.
- The insurer offers health coverage to individuals, families, as well as senior citizens
- Also, Bajaj Allianz's health insurance has designed specific health plans that cover life-threatening illnesses like strokes, tumors, cancer, etc.
- Additionally, the insurer makes cashless claim settlement facility available in more than 6500 hospitals
- For international coverage, the insurer offers Global personal guard health plan
- Moreover, the insurer is known to settle cashless claims within 60 minutes
Commenced in August 2008, the company works in collaboration between Bharti Enterprises with 74% share and AXA with the remaining 26% share. Bharti enterprise is one of the renowned business corporations in India. Whereas, Bharti AXA is a global financial and wealth management company. Below are some of the benefits of buying Bharti AXA health insurance plans:
Bharti AXA General Insurance owns 59 corporate offices in India. In the first year of operations, the company received ISO 9001:2008 certification, followed by an ISO 27001:2005. It is one of the most trusted and emerging insurance companies. Bharti AXA health insurance is known for its dedicated services, smooth customer relationships and hassle-free claim process. Below are some of the benefits of buying health plans from Bharti AXA Health Insurance:
- In most of the Bharti AXA health plans, there is no requirement of co-payment
- Certain plans provide unlimited hospital room rent
- You can avail cashless hospitalization in more than 4500 network hospitals throughout India
- There is the flexibility to choose the plan and you can avail comprehensive medical cover up to Rs. 1 Crore
- Lifelong policy renewal facility is offered in all the Bharti AXA health insurance policies
- You can avail tax-saving benefits up to Rs. 55,000 under Section 80D
Based on the T3 motto- ‘Trust, Technology and Transparency’ Cholamandalam GI Co. Ltd. was founded in the year 2001. In a very short span of time, the company has spread its business across the country and now it has 109 branches across the country. In the year 2011, it was awarded the Financial Insights Innovation Award at the Asian insurance Congress for its innovativeness. Cholamandalam health insurance offers health coverage with attractive features and benefits at an affordable cost. The company offers user-friendly plans with extensive coverage. Cholamandalam medical insurance plans are undoubtedly a safe bet for the following reasons:
- Cholamandalam health insurance company has more than 136 branches across India
- Both critical illnesses as well as an accidental cover is available (in selected health plans)
- The insurer offers lifelong renewability to protect you and your loved ones from the financial burden caused by a medical exigency
- Most of the medical insurance plans cover pre-hospitalization expenses for 30 days and post-hospitalization expenses for 60 days
- Some health plans also offer annual health check-up facilities
- The insurer provides one of the most extensive family health plans, individual health plans, top-up plans, and critical illness insurance plans
Digit General Insurance Company is headed by Mr. Kamesh Goyal, who is the CEO. In the last year only, the insurer has issued more than 10 lakh policies. The company also has a record of settling 87% of the claims in just one day. The insurance provider has also been felicitated with Asia’s General Insurance Company of the Year Award 2019. Let’s check out what makes its suitable choice for buying health insurance:
- The sum assured options range from as low as Rs. 2 lakhs to a higher of Rs. 25 lakhs
- The insured can avail cashless hospitalization cover in close to 5900 hospitals PAN India
- Digit health insurance plans are online and digital-friendly and can be purchase without much of paperwork
- Moreover, there are no sub-limits on the hospital room rents
Edelweiss General Insurance is one of the most popular insurance providers in India and is trusted by millions of customers for its legacy bestowed by the Edelweiss Group. The insurance provides has been recognized with numerous awards such as SAP Process Innovation Awards. Here are some of the advantages that the policyholder can avail on purchase of Edelweiss health insurance plans:
- Edelweiss health insurance policies are designed to cover in-patient, pre and post-hospitalization expenses, critical illnesses, accidents, diseases, etc.
- The insurer also facilitates with zero deposit and guaranteed bed to the policyholder
- 14 medical procedures such as maternity, gall bladder removal, cataract, etc, have zero discharge time across most of the hospitals
Future Generali Total Insurance Solutions is a joint enterprise between the Future Group of Industries and the Generali Group. Future Generali Health Insurance plans are tailor-made to meet the requirements of the different kinds of medical insurance seekers. Below are some of the benefits of buying Future Generali health plans:
- There are different kind of Future Generali medical insurance policies to cater to the needs of the wide range of customers i.e. Personal Accident plans, Critical illness policy, Hospital cash, Arogya Sanjeevani policy, mosquito insurance, Mediclaim insurance, Top-up plans, Senior Citizen insurance, etc.
- The insurer provides cashless hospitalization in more than 5100 hospitals PAN India
- Most of the health plans come with lifelong renewability option
- To ensure convenience to the policyholders the insurer provides cashless hospitalization in approval in merely 90 minutes
- Additionally, the insured members can have easy access to the policy details with Future Generali mobile app
HDFC Ergo Health Insurance Company had an outstanding record of Incurred Claim Ratio of 62% for the fiscal year 2018-19, and it has brought additional benefits like portability and lifelong renewability options in its existing health insurance plans. Below are some of the coverage benefits offered by HDFC Ergo Health Insurance Plans:
- The insurer offers the facility to avail cashless treatment in more than 10,000 hospitals across India
- The coverage provided is available to both individuals and families
- The best part is that the insurer provides special health plans for diabetes patients as well
- In addition to comprehensive health plans, the insurer also claims to offer the quickest claim settlement process
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company is one of the largest insurance providers in India. The insurer operates in nearly 91 cities across India with its massive distribution channel of brokers, direct sales, retail, corporate agents, and bancassurance. Listed below are some of the benefits of buying insurance cover from them:
- HDFC Ergo General health plans provide pre and post hospitalization cover plans. 60 days prior to hospitalization and 90 days after hospitalization charges are covered under the plan
- It is possible to select from a range of health plans i.e. individual health plans, family insurance plans, personal accident cover to critical illness insurance policies
- Most of the policies have no sub-limits on the room rent
- It offers a wide range of sum assured options and the insured can earn a 5% bonus for each claim-free year
- All the pre-existing medical conditions are covered by the policy after 4 years of premium payments.
- Also, the coverage can be enhanced with add-on covers like maternity cover, critical illness cover, hospital cash benefits etc.
- Day-care procedures and domiciliary hospitalization (treatments that are taken at home as per the hospital recommendation are covered under the HDFC Ergo health policies
IFFCO-Tokio General Insurance began its operations on December 4th, 2000 in collaboration among the Indian Farmers Fertilizer Co-operative (IFFCO), Nichido Fire Group and a popular Japanese insurance group - Tokio Marine.
The company’s incurred claim settlement ratio is 102%, which signifies a great performance by the insurer in the fiscal year 2018-2019. Incurred Claim Ratio is the ratio of the total claims settled by the insurance company to the total amount of premium collected in that particular year. Here are some of the reasons to buy Health Insurance from Iffco Tokio:
- With Iffco Tokio health insurance plans you can provide healthcare treatment to your family in case of any sudden illness, disease or injuries, which may require hospitalization, medical or surgical treatment, organ transplantation
- Iffco Tokio health insurance plan compensates expenses incurred on chemotherapy, pacemaker, organ transplant, radiotherapy, dialysis, surgical appliances, blood, oxygen, operation theatre, medicines, drugs etc.
- The health insurance company caters to the rural population as well
- This company has the technical know-how to provide its customers timely and hassle-free claim settlement experience in a quick and efficient manner
- It also offers additional cover on critical illnesses by paying some extra premium on an existing health insurance policy
Kotak Mahindra GI Co. formed as a subsidiary of the Kotak Mahindra Bank to serve th General insurance sector including health insurance and other domains. The insurer operates with more than 13 branches PAN India. The customers can change from a range of customised medical policies with the following features and benefits:
- Kotak health plans can be selected to cover basic emergency hospitalization and life-threatening illnesses like a benign tumour, end-stage liver diseases, coma, loss of speech, etc. as well
- The plans cover heart attack, cancer, organ transplants and personal accidents
- Kotak secure shield plan also provides loss of job benefit to the insured members along with child education benefits
- Some special coverage benefits in the policies include- Air ambulance cover, home nursing, compassionate visit, maternity cover, new-born baby cover, among other benefits
*All savings are provided by the insurer as per the IRDAI approved insurance plan. Standard T&C apply.
Liberty General Insurance Company started its operations in the year 2013. It is a collaboration among Liberty Mutual Insurance Group, DP Jindal Group, Liberty City state holdings PTE Ltd. and Enam Securities. The insurer is present in more than 23 states PAN India. Some of the benefits of buying liberty health insurance policies are given below:
- The insurer offers Unique Loyalty Perk Benefits and the sum assured increases by 10% to 100% for every claim-free year
- The policyholder also gets a free-look period of 15 days to cancel the policy post-purchase
- The health plans are designed to offer wider health protection cover, and higher sum assured options
- One of the unique features include preventive care facilities such as first medical opinion, Live health talk, etc.
Max Bupa insurance company in India, which had an Incurred Claim Ratio of 54% for the fiscal year 2018-19. This company offers its health insurance policies to individuals from all age groups. Below are some of the coverage benefits offered by Star Health Insurance Company:
- Max Bupa health plans are custom made to meet individuals’ as well as families’ health coverage needs
- Some plans also offer international coverage for 9 major critical illnesses across 190 countries
- The insurer also provides cashless claim authorization within 30-minutes
- Also, there is a provision to cover life-threatening illnesses under the Max Bupa Criticare health insurance plan
Manipal Cigna Health Insurance Company is comparatively a new player in the Indian insurance market, as it was launched in 2014, Its Incurred Claim Ratio for the fiscal year 2018-19 is 62%. Below are some of the features of Manipal Cigna Health Insurance plans:
- Once can select from a few health plans including top-up health plans, critical illness plans, accidental care, lifestyle plan, etc.
- Most of the health plans are customizable to meet customer’s needs and preferences
- The insurer also offers one of the most comprehensive critical illness plans covering nearly 30 major illnesses
- In almost every medical plan the insurer provides 100% sum restoration of the sum insured
- Also, the insured can easily track health insurance claims online
National Insurance Company Ltd. is a full government entity, which has been serving its customers for more than a century and provides health insurance coverage. It had an Incurred Claim Ratio of 107.64% for the fiscal year 2018-19. Below are some of the benefits of buying health plans from National Insurance Company:
- National Insurance Company has more than 6000 hospitals offering cashless treatment
- Most of the health plans cover the cost of treatment for 30 days before hospitalization and 60 days after hospitalization respectively
- Some health plans also offer free health check-up benefit up to 1% of the Sum Insured on completion of 4 claim-free years
- The company offers one of the most extensive family health plans i.e. Parivar Mediclaim policy that offers coverage for up to 6 family members under a single plan
National General Insurance Company offers is Varishtha Mediclaim that covers to senior citizens.
New India Assurance is a fully government-owned entity of India, which has been in operations since 1919. This company is well-known for its Mediclaim policy. The feature offered under this health insurance policy is that it provides different ratings for major metros. It had an Incurred Claim Ratio of 10.3.74% for the fiscal year 2018-19. Below are some of the features of New India Assurance Company:
- New India Assurance offers a comprehensive health insurance plan for family offering protection to self, spouse and two dependent children
- The insurer offers one cancer coverage plan i.e. New India Cancer Guard Policy
- For global coverage, the company offers New India Global mediclaim policy
Oriental general insurance is also a government-owned general insurance company that offers a wide range of health insurance products in India. The impressive part of Oriental health insurance is that it doesn’t require a pre-policy medical test up to the age of 60 years, whereas it is mandatory under other health insurance providers to get a medical examination done if you are below 45 years of age. Below are some of the benefits of buying Oriental health plans:
- The insurer’s Incurred Claim Ratio stood at 108.80% for the fiscal year 2018-19.
- Oriental Health Insurance company offers both family floater and individual health insurance plans
- Its most of the health insurance policies can be customized as per the customer’s needs.
- Moreover, the insurer has tie ups with more than 4300 network hospitals where the insured members can avail cashless treatment
Religare Health Insurance Company limited has shown tremendous growth in a short period of time, thereby setting a benchmark in the insurance market of India. It had an Incurred Claim Ratio of 93% for the financial year 2018-19. It is being regularly appreciated and promoted by the Fortis Hospitals. Here are some of the key features of Religare Health Insurance plans:
- There is a plan to meet everyone’s requirement namely- individual & family floater plan, health insurance plan for diabetes and hypertension, senior citizen plan, and top-up plans
- The insurer offers cashless claim approval within 2-hours in most of the cases
- Most of the plans offer Annual-health check facility to the insured members
- For pre-existing health ailments and annual cardiac check-ups, Religare Care Heart plan is available
Reliance General Insurance is one of the most renowned insurers in India. The insurer has 139 offices PAN India to offers seamless services to its customers. They are also present across India and abroad. The Insurance provider has a huge customer base including the individuals, Corporates and SMEs. With online purchase and renewal services, they are even more accessible.
- The insurer offers the flexibility pay the premium online through your debit card,credit card, Net banking, PayTm as per your convenience
- Reliance health insurance offers restoration upon exhaustion of the base sum Insured
- Also, pre-existing diseases are covered after a waiting period of 4 years
- Health check-up expenses are reimbursed on completion of 4 claim-free years in most of the Reliance health insurance plans
Rajan Raheja Group works in collaboration with QBE Insurance, which is the second-largest global insurance company in Australia’s and that is how Raheja QBE was formed. The General Insurance company was established to provide insurance services to its partners and consumers in the most seamless manner. Some of the features and benefits of health insurance plans from Raheja QBE are given below:
- The insurance company offers a wide range of health policies such as basic health plan, comprehensive health insurance plan, A-La-Carte plan to include add-ons, Super saver medical plans, etc.
- One of the unique features of this plan is you get 10% increase on summer short if you avail cashless treatment in a network hospital
- All the health insurance plans by Raheja QBE offer no claim bonus benefits and domiciliary hospitalization cover
- The sum insured limit in all the health insurance plans ranges from Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs. 50,00,000
Earlier known as Royal Sundaram Alliance Insurance Co. Ltd., Royal Sundaram General Insurance Co. Ltd. company has been felicitated with many awards for its efficient claim management services. It offers comprehensive insurance plans with innovative features and solutions.
- Royal Sundaram health plans have been designed to cover worldwide emergency hospitalization expenses and 11 major critical illnesses
- Royal Sundaram lifeline supreme plan also offers the second opinion for 11 major critical illnesses
- The policyholder can avail No-claim bonus (NCB) benefits between 10-50% of sum assured. It is not reduced if a claim is filed in a particular year
- 100% restoration of the sum insured and No-claim discount, if the coverage amount is exhausted during the treatment of different diseases
- Domiciliary hospitalization and maternity cover are also provided in most of the plans
Star Health &Allied Insurance Company offers some of the most comprehensive medical plans for you and your family. The insurer recorded the Incurred Claim Ratio of 63% for the fiscal year 2018-19. Below are some of the coverage benefits offered by Star Health Insurance Plans:
- The company has an in-house claim settlement procedure to deal with cashless hospitalization facility.
- Along with this, Star Health & Allied insurance company comes up with a range of exciting products that offer protection to Diabetes and HIV+ patients.
- Star health insurance has more than 9800 hospitals where the insured can avail cashless medical treatment
- The best part is that most of the Star health plans come with lifetime renewability option
- The insurer also providers top-up health insurance plan that can be customized as per the insured’s needs
SBI Health Insurance Co. Ltd is a joint venture between the State Bank of India (SBI) and Insurance Australia Group. SBI holds a 74% stake while 26% stake is held by Insurance Australia Group. It operates out in around 14,000 official branches across the globe. With an Incurred Claim Ratio of 52% for the fiscal year 2018-19, SBI Health Insurance Company has issued 198876 policies. Here are some of the key features of SBI Health Insurance Plans:
- One can choose the amount of sum assured between Rs.50,000 and Rs. 5 lakhs
- The applicants with a clean medical record do not require medical screening up to the age of 45 years
- Most of the health insurance plans cover pre and post hospitalization expenses including nursing expenses
- Moreover, one can easily renew SBI health insurance plans online
Tata AIG GI Company works in collaboration between American International and the TATA Group. The insurer commenced its operation in the year 2001. Since then it has earned a popular name in the insurance industry. Tata AIG has tie-ups with good no. of hospitals in India and offers cashless treatment in more than 4000 hospitals across India. Tata AIG health insurance plans come with the following range of benefits-
- The insurer offers customized health plans for individuals, families, senior citizens, critical illnesses, and medical emergencies
- The insurer offers lifelong renewability and the new premium will be decided based on the revised age without any loading if no claim has been filed
- Tata AIG medical policies also recompense medical treatment taken at home if required as part of the treatment
- The plans are also designed to compensate for the cost of Homeopathy, Siddha, Unani, and Ayurveda treatment
United India Insurance Co. Ltd. is a merger of 22 companies and is headquartered in Chennai. It is known as one of the most popular general insurance providers in India. The insurer offers affordable and personalized health plans to its customers. Furthermore, United India has got ICRA accreditation for high solvency margin ratio and claim paying ability. Check out the benefits that the company can offer with its health policies:
- United India offers Health Insurance offers cashless medical treatment in more than 7000 hospitals across India
- The policyholders can avail free medical check-up after completion of 3-consecutive claim-free years
- The insurer offers 5% of family discount on the premium paid for self, spouse and dependent children under one plan
- 15 days of free look period is provided from the date of policy inception. to analyse the policy benefits and to decide whether to continue it or not
- Also, the premium paid can be availed for tax exemption benefits by the policyholder for both the individual and family plans
Universal Sompo General Insurance Company was established in 2007 as a public-private undertaking. It is a collaboration among Dabur Investment Corporation, Sompo Japan, and Karnataka Bank, Allahabad. Some of the salient features of Universal Sompo health insurance are listed below-
- The Insurer offers diversified plans for available for families, individuals, groups, students, NGOs, and the likewise
- The company also offers cashless hospitalization in more than 5000 hospitals across India
- Almost all the medical insurance plans offer lifetime renewability to the insured members
- Moreover, Universal Sompo also offers special Mediclaim plans for people working abroad/rural people/groups
- Nevertheless, the policyholder can avail tax benefits on the premium paid under Section 80D
*All savings are provided by the insurer as per the IRDAI approved insurance plan. Standard T&C apply.
Over to you!
Hope this article has shared with you useful information regarding the health insurance companies in India. You can select a health plan from a wide range of products offered by these general insurance companies in India. These insurance companies are well known for their family floater plans. Now! Compare different insurance plans online to find the best insurance policy.
Ans: Some of the health insurance companies provide diabetes health plans. Star health diabetes safe insurance plan, national Varishtha Mediclaim plan, HDFC Energy Health insurance plan (formerly known as Apollo Munich, etc. are some of the insurers that can cover insulin expenses. You can check others well.
Ans: You can change your health insurance policy from one insurer to another insurer of your preference without losing the benefits accumulated. As per IRDA, you have the right to port your health insurance policy to another health insurance company.
Ans: Some of the health insurance companies provide dental treatment cover. Bajaj health guard insurance plan, Cholamandalam Healthline insurance plan, Star comprehensive health insurance, etc. are some of the insurers that can cover dental expenses. You can check others well.
Ans: A lot of health insurance companies provide cancer treatment cover. Future Generali Cancer Protect Plan, Bajaj Allianz Critical Illness Insurance, Aditya Birla Activ Secure- Cancer Secure, Digit Cancer Health Insurance, Chola MS Critical Healthline Plan, Edelweiss Platinum plan, Raheja Cancer Insurance, Religare Cancer Insurance Policy, Star Cancer Care Gold Insurance Plan, etc. Are some of the insurers that offer cancer insurance in India. There are many others that you can check and compare before purchasing.
Ans: Kidney transplantation or failure is critical illness and therefore it is covered under a critical illness health insurance policy. Bajaj Allianz health insurance covers kidney filature cost in Bajaj Allianz Critical Illness Insurance policy, HDFC ERGO Health Optimal Vital Insurance Plan also covers it. Also, national critical illness medical insurance plan, SBI critical illness plan, Tata AIG Health Insurance, and Universal Sompo critical illness policy covers it.
Written By: PolicyBazaar - Updated: 29 July 2020