- Rs. 5 Lakh Coverage @ Rs. 12.9/Day*
*Standard T&C Apply
- 7 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 10,000+Hospitals for Cashless Treatment
Why Go for a Top Up Health Insurance Plan?
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 7969 -
Updated date : 20 June 2019
Can an astrologer assure you about your future? Do the planetary movements decide what’s going to happen tomorrow? No one can ever predict with a guarantee about what’s happening next door. Life is absolutely unpredictable and can shower happiness or bump you physically, financially or emotionally. Insurance is a safety parachute when dealing with such unplanned emergencies, as we all know. But in today’s era of inflation, no health cover is enough to deal with the health needs and purchasing a new health policy every time is not the right way out either. Instead, you can opt for a top-up a health insurance plan that broadens your cover and extends your threshold limit, at a nominal cost. This health cover is applicable both on independent mediclaim policies and corporate group policies.
Let’s understand it with an example-
Karan, a 30-year-old pre-sales manager met with a life-threatening accident and got severely injured. Luckily, his employee medical insurance covered most of his treatment costs but not all. Just like us, Karan thought a cover of 4 Lakh is more than enough for his medical treatment but he did not have any idea of the accident that could land him in debt. Using his savings seemed like the last option for him because the health cover could bear a cost of only Rs. 4 Lakh and not the total cost of Rs.6 Lakh. Had he purchased a top-up health insurance plan, he wouldn’t have to part away with his savings and put his future plans in jeopardy. A top up would have offered him an extended cover of Rs. 2 Lakh at nominal cost, helping him deal with the elevated treatment costs or cover the differential amount.
How do Top-up plans function?
Top up plans follow a cost-sharing model and are functional in situations where the insured has to bear the treatment cost that exceeds the deductible limit of assured limit. When your medical expenses reach the cover limit, your insurer stops taking into account your elevated treatment cost and this is when the top up plan comes into the picture by helping the insured deal with the expenses that cross that threshold limit.
Sum insured offer by various insurers falls in the range of Rs. 50,000 - Rs. 15,00,000 and the deductible amount ranges between Rs. 30,000 – Rs. 5,00,000 respectively. Excluding the deductible amount covered by a general health insurance policy, top up plans provide full protection under the sum insured.
Advantages of Top-up plans
- Top up plans are cheaper in comparison to general health insurance policies if the deductible is higher.
- Buying a top-up plan is a better option than extending a basic health cover at a nominal cost.
- Easy to purchase, these plans can be bought from any insurer without restrictions. The basic health insurance policy and a top-up plan can be of two different companies.
- Top ups are available along with family floater cover and an individual
- These plans offer tax deduction under section 80D.
It is recommended to purchase a good health insurance plan that covers hospitalization and treatment costs. And if in case the threshold limits are touched, opting for an ideal top-up plan is the best option to cope up with the elevated treatment costs.
- Most Read
- Know the Network Hospital Before Buying Health Insurance
Date: 23 September 2019
- Health Insurance - A Fast Growing Segment in India
Date: 18 September 2019
- GST Impact on Health Insurance Premium
Date: 05 September 2019
- Medanta Hospital
Date: 21 June 2019
Date: 21 June 2019
- Top 10 Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 539266
- Top 5 Maternity Insurance Plans
Views : 296207
- List of Health Insurance Companies in India
Views : 244827
- Top 8 Family Health Insurance Policies for 2019
Views : 191626
- Health Insurance Claims Ratio- Things You Should Look Before Buying Health Insurance
Views : 153727
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator