- Rs. 5 Lakh Coverage @ Rs. 12.9/Day
- 7 Lakh+ Happy Customers
- 100%Free Health Check-up
- 10,000+Hospitals for Cashless Treatment
We promise limited calls
Why do Patients of Hypertension Need Health Insurance?
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 3211 -
Modified 29 March 2018
Let me tell you a story.
This is the story of Shekhar. As a part of his routine annual health checkup, Shekhar visited his doctor. However, when the test reports came out, he was quite surprised to know that his blood pressure was found to be higher than normal.
In other words, Shekhar was diagnosed with hypertension. He was worried about the treatment and the subsequent expenses which led him to investigate further about hypertension and which insurance plans he could opt for so as to avoid burning a large hole in his pocket.
Shekhar is one of the few smart and practical patients of Hypertension. Studies have shown that more than 320 lakh people in India are afflicted with hypertension, and it is well known that hypertension can lead to many serious health conditions such as heart disease, stroke, etc.
Although you can’t control contracting the disease, you can always look into the factors responsible for causing it and do your best to avoid them.
In this article we will not only focus on why buying a health insurance plan is necessary for Hypertension patients, but will also go through some basic information about hypertension so we can understand this disease a little better.
Some Important Facts about Hypertension:
- The normal blood pressure of a human being is 120 over 80 mm of mercury (mmHg); however, in case of hypertension your blood pressure will be higher than 130 over 80 mmHg.
- Hypertension can arise due to several reasons and stress tops the list. While, stress can stem from events in your personal and professional life, sometimes it can arise from underlying medical conditions as well e.g. kidney disease.
- Hypertension, when not managed well or taken care of, can lead to a stroke, heart attack and other problems.
Managing your Lifestyle is one of the Best Ways to Address High BP:
- Your weight is one of the most crucial factors, when it comes to managing your hypertension. If you are overweight, you need to work on losing weight. If you are the normal weight, according to your height, try to avoid gaining weight. In case you are overweight, losing even 5 kilos can help you manage the disease. You can always consult your doctor to get an idea of your ideal weight.
- Eating healthy foods will also keep your blood pressure in check. Include plenty of vegetables and fruits in your diet, especially those that are rich in potassium. Focus on lowering your intake of excessive calories, fat and sugar.
- It’s a well-known fact that the higher your sodium intake is, the higher your blood pressure is going to be. Cutting back on your total consumption of salt will significantly lower your risk of high blood pressure.
- Get moving and make physical activities a part of your daily routine. The more you exercise, the easier it will be to control your blood pressure. Even a moderate exercise routine of 30 minutes 3 times in a week will prove to be beneficial.
- Always make sure to monitor your blood pressure on a regular basis. As high blood pressure often occurs without any symptoms, it’s better to keep a check on your blood pressure to determine any peaks in your blood pressure.
Introducing these lifestyle changes in your daily routine can help you control your hypertension.
Different Types of Hypertension:
Hypertension that is not caused by any other medical condition or disease is called primary or essential hypertension. In case your hypertension has arisen due to another condition, it is known as secondary hypertension.
- Primary Hypertension: In this form of hypertension, your blood plasma volume and the activity of the hormones responsible for regulating the blood volume and pressure is affected. Certain environmental factors like stress and lack of physical activity can also influence primary hypertension.
- Secondary hypertension: It results from complications of other medical conditions which include diabetes, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism (an overactive thyroid gland), pregnancy, obesity, etc.
The Different Ways In Which Hypertension Can Affect Your Body:
- Hypertension leads to arteriosclerosis wherein the walls of the blood vessels lose their elasticity and due to constant pressure eventually become weak and rupture. This situation can invariably be fatal.
- Hypertension also increases the risk of brain hemorrhage, also known as stroke, tenfold. Even a slightly high BP can lead to stroke as high BP weakens the small vessels in your brain, eventually rupturing them. This can also lead to dementia in the patient.
- The elevated blood pressure is also responsible for damaging the small blood vessels in your kidney and hence affects the blood supply to your kidney. It affects the normal functionalities of your kidney such as regulating your hormones, body fluids, the amount of salt in your body, etc. and can eventually result in kidney failure.
- Even pregnant women suffer the side-effects of hypertension. For instance, hypertension in pregnancy can lead to a low birth weight and decreased growth of the baby.
Why buying a Health Plan for Hypertension Patient is Important?
- The inflation in medical costs is making it really hard for an average-salaried person to take care of medical expenses like doctors’ fees, expensive medicines, hospitalization charges, diagnostic tests, etc.
By investing in a health insurance plan, you will not only be reimbursed for the hospitalization charges, but it will also safeguard you against OPD or day-care costs.
- People are increasingly switching to private hospitals for getting quality medical treatment. A well-researched and bought health plan will help you focus more on getting the best medical care rather than worrying about expenses.
You need to relax as worrying about medical costs can deteriorate your health further. After all, you can’t afford to take more tension when you are already a patient of hypertension!
Furthermore, we will discuss the factors you need to consider while buying an insurance cover for your hypertension condition:
- Start Early: People always wonder about the right time to buy an insurance plan. Well, the wise decision is to invest in one as soon as possible. You shouldn’t wait for a tragedy to strike. Rather, invest on the right time because as they say, “A stitch in time saves nine”.
- Waiting Period: Like every pre-existing ailment, hypertension too has a waiting period of 2-4 years. If you invest in a health plan at the right time, there are chances that you will be able to cover your waiting period before the need for a major hospitalization occurs.
- Low Premiums: Starting on the right time will also ensure that you pay lower premiums.
Inclusion of buying a health insurance policy in your wish list will definitely be fruitful, if you are suffering from hypertension. Moreover, buying plans has become a lot easier these days with easy access to the internet letting you compare dozens of health plans effortlessly before settling for the plan best-suited for you.
- Most Read
- Alarming! 32 Percent of Indian Population Suffers from Thyroid
Date: 29 March 2018
- Why do Patients of Hypertension Need Health Insurance?
Date: 29 March 2018
- Why is Health Insurance Necessary for Asthma Patients?
Date: 29 March 2018
- How to Choose the Best Critical Illness Insurance Plan?
Date: 13 February 2018
- Myths and Facts about Critical Illness Insurance
Date: 28 December 2017
- Best Health Insurance Plans for Cancer Patients
Views : 76500
- Health Insurance for Diabetics
Views : 56225
- Health Insurance for Heart Patients and Cardiac Surgery
Views : 28559
- Critical Illness Policies Which Cover Dialysis
Views : 23178
- Health Insurance Coverage for HIV Patients
Views : 22747