All You Need to Know about Travel Insurance Policies
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 724 -
Updated date : 21 May 2019
A travel insurance policy might be one of the least popular insurance policies that are available in the market. But remember, travel Insurance is one of the most viable solutions to all the possible risks or unforeseen problems, which can arise during your trip. You would need to compare a few travel insurance plans and choose the one that covers most of the risks.
But, again it is subjective to the individual needs. You need to check the risk factors, various reimbursements and specific covers that are provided by the policy.
Some travel insurance policies also provide extra perks like emergency repatriation, hijack and lost luggage cover. It is important to do your research and then make the purchase.
Read on to know everything about travel insurance policies:
What Do You Need a Travel Insurance Policy?
There are plenty of reasons to buy a travel insurance policy:
- Flight Cancellation or Delay: Nothing can be more heart wrenching than missing your flight to your favourite destination. But if you are insured, then you would be reimbursed for any flight delay of more than 12 hours than the actual departure time.
You would also be compensated for any unplanned accommodation, which you have to take up due to delay.
- Growing Medical Costs: You must be aware that any medical treatment in the west can create havoc in your entire bank balance. You will have to meet the entire medical expenses and hospitalization costs on your own. Any medical care can turn out to be overwhelming for you.
Only if, you have a travel insurance policy, you would not have to bear whole medical expenses on your own. Even the ambulance costs would be borne by our insurer.
- Emergency Repatriation Costs: In the event of death during the trip, there would be no support from anyone for repatriation or emergency medical evacuation. It will involve a lot of time and financial efforts from your end.
But if you have your travel insurance policy in place, then you would not need to worry about it. Your insurer would compensate you for the same. For example – you can buy HDFC Ergo Travel Insurance to get yourself covered from such exigencies.
- Bear the Loss of Passport or Luggage: At any time during the trip, if you happen to lose your baggage and belongings, then you would have to bear the cost of acquiring a new passport and the cost of replacing your belongings.
You will end up bearing the actual loss, as well as you would need to pay an extra amount to replace the loss. If you are insured, then you would be compensated for any such loses.
How to Get a Travel Insurance Policy?
The procedure of buying an overseas or a domestic travel insurance policy is exactly the same. The only difference that lies is in their price and the features.
First things first, you need to make a checklist of the possible risks and your requirements during the trip.
For example, do you have an underlying medical condition or have you booked your tickets on your loyalty points? Depending on these criterions, you would need to shortlist the policy options.
Secondly, check your medical insurances to see if any of them cover your medical expenses for travel.
Thirdly, the best time to buy your travel insurance is when you book the trip.
Also, opt for a plan that recompenses for lost luggage. After shortlisting the policies you can compare the costs of the travel insurance policies before making the purchase online.
What Are The Different Types of Travel Insurance Policies?
There are various travel insurance plans that are available in the market for keen travellers like you.
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance: A Comprehensive Travel Insurance policy is the most popular travel insurance policies. You can opt for a domestic travel option as well as an overseas travel insurance policy.
It mainly covers medical emergencies, accidental injuries, loss of luggage, etc. you can buy this policy for single trips and multi-trips. It is available for individuals and families both.
- Medical Travel Insurance: A medical travel insurance policy is for people travelling overseas. It covers medical emergencies including emergency evacuation. It is also called International Travel Insurance, International Medical Insurance as well as Travel Health Insurance.
- Travel Accident Cover: It offers coverage in case of an accident during the trip or an accident before the trip that may lead to trip cancellation.
To ensure that you do not have to face any such situation, you should opt for a travel accident insurance policy that will offer financial compensation during such trying times.
- Student Travel Insurance Plans: These plans are designed to safeguard students while studying abroad.
There are other plans as well and you can select the one that works just right for you. The other types are also based on age and are divided between single trip, multiple trips, and senior citizen plans.
Best Travel Insurance Policies
There are different travel insurance policies that are available in the market. To name a few- Apollo Munich Easy Travel - Annual Multi-Trip travel insurance plans, TATA AIG Student Guard travel plan, Religare Explore Europe Travel Insurance Plan, Religare travel insurance plan, Bajaj Allianz Corporate Travel Insurance Plan, HDFC Ergo multi-trip travel insurance plan and Bajaj Allianz Individual Travel Insurance Policy among others.
You can check online and pick up the best travel insurance plan with optimal premiums to ensure safe and hassle-free protection while travelling.
Just to reiterate, do read and understand your insurance policy properly and make sure you do not miss out on any important clause or condition.
Travelling without getting a travel insurance policy would not be a great decision. You cannot plan a trip with a callous attitude towards your own safety and well-being. You only need to pay a small amount of premium and you are all set for your trip.
- Most Read
- How Does Travel Insurance Helps During Trip Delay & Cancellation?
Date: 29 November 2019
- Why Should You Buy Baggage Insurance for Your Next Trip?
Date: 19 November 2019
- 10 Factors to Consider While Selecting your Thailand Travel Insurance
Date: 01 November 2019
- Is Travel Insurance Really Important? Is It Necessary to Buy One?
Date: 21 October 2019
- All You Need to Know About Corporate Travel Insurance
Date: 16 October 2019
- 5 Best Travel Insurance Policies for 2019, Risk-Proof Your Next International Trip
Views : 48156
- Benefits of Buying a Travel Insurance Plan for Your Next Holiday
Views : 14229
- Top 10 Travel Insurance Companies in India
Views : 14161
- Travel Insurance or International Health Insurance: Which is the Best Option for You?
Views : 9094
- Top 5 Travel Insurance Companies in India
Views : 8734
GET ARTICLE ON EMAIL
- Income Tax Calculator
- Other Calculators
- Pension Calculator
- Savings Calculator
- Save Regularly
- Actual Savings
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- Life Insurance Calculator
- Term Insurance Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Premium Calculator
- FD Calculator
- Investment Calculator