Top Travel Insurance Plans
- Sr. Citizens
Plans for an individual of 30 years age travelling to USA for 15 days
Why Buy Niva Bupa Travel Insurance?
For centuries, travel has been considered among the most fulfilling and desirable activities. Be it for better health, higher studies, art inspiration, or simply quenching that thirst for exploring the unknown, people have endless reasons for travelling.
However, the unknown can be as bad as it can be good. The risk associated with travel abroad can range from minor ones like flight delays to major ones like emergency hospitalisation. Similarly, these risks are different for different travellers.
Those visiting for a short duration may be subject to risks like theft, sickness or passport loss; those going for a longer duration have a higher chance of needing medical assistance or handling a legal liability. Niva Bupa travel insurance plans cater to all these needs and more.
Niva Bupa Travel Insurance: Highlights
Take a look at some of the salient features of the Niva Bupa travel insurance plan:
||Worldwide (Including/Excluding US & Canada), APAC
||USD 50,000 - USD 500,000
||Emergency In-patient medical treatment
Loss of Passport
||The Economic Times Best Brands 2019
Disclaimer: *Policybazaar does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurer or insurance product offered by an insurer.
Features of Niva Bupa Travel Insurance
With over 70 lakh happy customers in India, Niva Bupa Health Insurance Company Limited offers travel insurance plans with the following benefits:
- Provides separate travel insurance plans specific to your destination: Worldwide, Asia Pacific, Worldwide Excluding USA/Canada
- Provides emergency in-patient medical treatment expenses along with hospital daily cash of upto USD 50/day
- Covers expenses for dental treatment expenses upto USD 500
- Offers complete coverage for pre-existing disorders as per the policy terms
Travel Insurance Plans Offered by Niva Bupa Travel Insurance
Niva Bupa Health Insurance Company Limited offers travel health insurance coverage based on the traveller’s destination and purpose of visiting. Niva Bupa TravelAssure insurance plan is available for those travelling abroad on a single trip or for studies based on their geographical location:
- Asia Pacific (APAC)
- Worldwide including USA & Canada
- Worldwide excluding USA & Canada
Regular travellers can opt for Niva Bupa TravelAssure insurance plan, whereas students going abroad for a longer duration can opt for the Niva Bupa TravelAssure student travel insurance plan. This plan has been specially catered for students aged between 18 and 70 years.
Following are the plan variants available under this Niva Bupa travel insurance plan:
- TravelAssure Lite
- TravelAssure Basic
- TravelAssure Comprehensive
For students travelling abroad for a longer duration, the following plan variants are available under Niva Bupa TravelAssure student travel insurance:
- TravelAssure Student Basic Plan
- TravelAssure Student Comprehensive Plan
All of these international travel insurance plans are available for different sums insured with varying coverage. Please refer to the official policy wording to understand the exact coverage offered.
Inclusions under Niva Bupa Travel Insurance
All insurance policies come with detailed policy wordings that define the coverage benefits offered by them. Policy wordings are important as they specify the exact coverage that will be provided in case of different emergencies. Here are some of the common inclusions that this Niva Bupa travel insurance plan will provide coverage for:
Emergency Hospitalisation Expenses
This Niva Bupa travel insurance policy will cover the expenses incurred in case of a medical emergency for which the insured has been admitted to the hospital for over 24 hours.
Offered only to students with a policy term of more than 12 months, it covers maternity-related expenses incurred during hospitalisation.
New-born Baby Cover
Available as a special addition to the maternity benefit. For the inpatient medical expenses of newborns, including vaccination expenses.
Other than the base benefits (mentioned above) offered by the policy, the following optional benefits can be purchased by paying an additional premium:
- Emergency outpatient treatment: Treatment expenses due to emergencies are covered under this.
- Complete pre-existing disease cover: This optional is available only to students going abroad on a student visa for full-time college or schooling.
- Emergency road ambulance: Niva Bupa travel insurance policy will cover the transportation costs of the insured person to the hospital.
- Hospital daily cash: If the policyholder is admitted for over 48 consecutive hours, an allowance of USD 20-75 will be provided, depending on the plan variant opted.
- Home-to-home cover: Offers extended coverage up to the sum insured before and beyond the period of insurance (6 hours) for starting and returning journeys. This covers in-patient treatment, out-patient treatment and personal accident.
- Deductible waiver: This cover waives off deductibles for each cover opted under that policy.
- Refund of visa: The cover offers reimbursement of visa fees in case of visa rejection. The rejection should not be due to negligence in the form or another mistake on the insured’s part.
- Medical evacuation: The policy will also cover transportation costs from one hospital to another if deemed necessary by the doctor.
- Extension to in-patient care: If the insured individual was hospitalised abroad and still needs to undergo treatment upon returning to India, their treatment expenses will be covered. It will also include a return ticket for India (economy class) and the cost of hospitalisation in a hospital in India.
- Personal accident: The policy will compensate for death or disability as per the policy terms.
- Accidental death and disability (Common carrier): The policy will provide compensation in case of death or disability caused in case of the common carrier's accident.
- Repatriation of mortal remains: In case of the insured’s death in the risk period, the insurer will compensate for the cost of transporting their mortal remains to their permanent place of residence.
- Delay or Total loss of checked-in baggage: The policy will compensate for the delay or loss of the checked-in baggage.
- Trip delay, trip cancellation, trip interruption: This Niva Bupa travel insurance policy offers reimbursement for every 4-hour flight delay under the listed circumstances. Trip delay and cancellation are covered if due to specified reasons.
- Passport loss: The policy will reimburse for the actual expenses incurred in getting a fresh passport or duplicate.
- Missed connection: The policy will cover extra accommodation and travel costs incurred due to missing of a pre-booked onward connection under specified reasons.
- Personal liability: Niva Bupa travel insurance plan will cover the expenses in investigation, defence or settlement if you are accidentally liable to a third party legally.
- Bounced Booking: The insurer will reimburse for the difference between the original cost of booking and alternate booking in case the accommodation provider cancels your booking.
- Optional Coverage for Students: Other than the optionals mentioned above, this Niva Bupa travel insurance plan also offers special benefits to students who are moving abroad for a longer duration. Some of these benefits include study interruption, loss of international driving license, loss of laptop, camera, mobile and tablet, compassionate visit, sponsor protection, bail bond, complete pre-existing diseases cover, cancer screening & mammographic exam, etc.
Please note that other optionals and coverage benefits are available in the policy wording, and this is not the complete list. Make sure to go through the official policy wording to understand the exact coverage of this plan.
Exclusions under Niva Bupa Travel Insurance
Niva Bupa TravelAssure plan will not provide any coverage for some situations. Here are some of the exclusions where this Niva Bupa travel insurance plan will not provide any claim benefits:
- Treatment costs if the insured is travelling against the advice of their doctor.
- Death, injury or medical disability caused by self-harm/suicide or willfully self-inflictions.
- Claims arising due to death/injury or disability because of alcohol, substance abuse or depression.
- Treatment expenses for illness or injuries caused due to nuclear/radiological emissions.
- Expenses due to rebellion, war or war-like situations
- Costs incurred due to deliberate breach of law or activities done with criminal intent.
- Treatment costs due to unproven treatments/supplies or services that lack required medical documentation.
- Costs incurred in the purchase of hearing aids, spectacles etc., such as optometric therapy, medical supplies like diabetic test strips, elastic stockings etc.
- Costs for non-prescription treatments or drugs.
- Claims arising due to the insured's involvement in unlawful activities or safety guideline violation.
- Claims originating in a country against whom the Indian government has imposed travel restrictions.
- Claims arising due to participation in adventure sports.
- Treatment expenses due to plastic or other cosmetic procedures, unless necessary for reconstruction surgeries incurred in accidents/burns.
- Treatment expenses that have been incurred for diagnostics/evaluation purposes only.
This is not an exhaustive list; please refer to the policy wordings for the complete list of exclusions under the Niva Bupa TravelAssure insurance plan.
How to Buy a Niva Bupa Travel Insurance Plan?
Travel insurance plans offered by Niva Bupa Health Insurance Company Limited can be purchased online & offline. Follow the process below to buy this Niva Bupa travel Insurance plan:
Follow the steps given below to buy Niva Bupa travel Insurance policy online:
- Visit policybazaar.com or the official website of Niva Bupa Health Insurance Company Limited on your browser
- Go to the option of buying a travel insurance policy
- Enter the details of the trip, including the number of travellers, travel date, destination country, age of travellers, the purpose of travel
- Choose the appropriate plan to buy depending on the sum insured and coverage
- Pay the premium amount online
- The insurer will issue Niva Bupa travel insurance policy
There are multiple ways to buy Niva Bupa travel insurance plan offline. They are as follows:
- You can visit the nearest Policybazaar exclusive store and buy a Niva Bupa travel insurance policy offline
- You can also visit the nearest branch of Niva Bupa Health Insurance Company Limited and fill up the proposal form to buy the policy
- You can call on the toll-free number of the insurer and provide the requested details to buy the policy.
- You can contact an insurance agent and fill up the proposal form to buy the policy.
How to Claim under Niva Bupa Travel Insurance?
To raise a claim under Niva Bupa travel insurance policy, the insured person must inform the TPA or the insurer timely. This should be done within seven days of the occurrence of the event for which the claim is to be raised.
In case the insured person is travelling abroad and needs to raise a claim due to an emergency, then they or their family member can contact the 24*7 emergency helpline at Europ Assistance or Assist America through their numbers or email.
Niva Bupa Travel Insurance - FAQs
Q: Where can I buy Niva Bupa travel insurance?
Ans: You can buy any Niva Bupa travel insurance policy online or offline. This can be done by visiting policybazaar.com or visiting an exclusive policybazaar store.
Q: Is a policy extension available under this Niva Bupa travel insurance policy?
Ans: Yes, an extension of this travel insurance plan is available provided there’s a written notice from the insured and the policy period does not exceed 365 days.
Q: Does Niva Bupa travel insurance cover maternity expenses?
Ans: Yes, this travel insurance plan covers hospitalisation expenses related to maternity. However, this feature is only offered to people studying abroad full-time.
Q: When to claim Niva Bupa travel insurance?
Ans: You can file for a claim under your Niva Bupa travel insurance plan by contacting your TPA or reaching out at the mentioned email IDs. Please note to inform the insurer within 7 days (48 hours if you have been hospitalised) so that you can file for reimbursement later.
Q: Does Niva Bupa also offer student travel insurance plans?
Ans: Yes, there are three variants of Niva Bupa plans: Basic, Lite, and Comprehensive for Indians travelling abroad for their education.