- Worldwide Cashless Hospitalization Worldwide
- Premium Starts at as low as ₹300
- Covers for Loss of Baggage & Passport
- Covers Flight Delays & Cancellation
We promise limited calls
IRDA Slaps Rs 20 Lakh Fine on Apollo Munich Health Insurance For Selling Plans via Makemytrip
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 3385 -
Modified 20 July 2017
Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) has levied Rs 20 lakh fine on Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company for selling policies through Makemytrip.com (MMT), which is not an authorized platform to sell insurance. IRDA has imposed heavy penalty of Rs 15 lakh on the insurer for violation of the regulatory norms during 2008-09, 2009-10 and 2010-11. The apex insurance body has imposed Rs 5 lakh penalty on the health insurance provider for soliciting business from agents whose license are expired.
Makemytrip gives domestic travel insurance via Apollo Munich, which mainly includes delay in check-in, baggage loss, trip cancellation and more. During its probe, IRDA found Apollo Munich the violator of Insurance Act, 1938 which says that it is not legal to accept the risk of insured person before the receipt of the premium. In its ruling IRDA said, ““It was further observed that premium dues from MMT for the risks accepted were in the range of Rs 16-41 lakh per month during 2009-10”.
Besides, Makemytrip.com, there are other travel portals also, like Yatra.com and Cleartrip.com, which are offering travel insurance. Soon, IRDA may start probing their modus operandi to find out violation of laws, if any.
(Source: This article has been adapted from the article "IRDA Fines Apollo Insurance For Selling Plans Via MakeMyTrip.com" that appeared on March 24, 2015 in trak.in)
- Most Read
- Here are 12 Money Saving Tips for students for Their Travel Plans
Date: 12 December 2017
- What is the Risk of Going for a Tour without Travel Insurance?
Date: 07 December 2017
- Top 10 Travel Insurance Companies in India
Date: 06 December 2017
- Planning an Adventure Trip? Here are 10 Handy Tips for You
Date: 28 November 2017
- Travel Health Advice: Tips for Staying Healthy on Holiday
Date: 22 November 2017
- Travel Insurance FAQ's
Views : 13783
- Domestic Travel Insurance Coverage & Benefits
Views : 9761
- Best Student Travel Insurance Plans in India
Views : 9497
- 10 Best Travel Insurance Plans for Your New Year Travel
Views : 6291
- How to Get the Best Deals on Travel Insurance?
Views : 5420