- Rs. 1 CroreTerm Cover @Rs 17/Day
- Tax BenefitsUnder Section 80C & 10(D)
- Extra BenefitsAccidental, Terminal & Critical Illness
- 12 Lac+Families Secured
We promise limited calls
How to Make Death Claims on Your Life Insurance?
- DetailsWritten by PolicyBazaar -
- Hits : 4479 -
Modified 18 July 2017
“Death ends a life, not a relationship.”
Truly quoted by Mitch Albom, death doesn’t really put an end to the relationships. This is the reason why people mourn over the death of their loved ones for days, months and sometimes years. But one fact that everyone must remember is that death is unavoidable and life is unpredictable. And the brutal truth about death is that it affects one’s family – both financially and emotionally.
This is the reason why every breadwinner must make sure of investing in a comprehensive life insurance plan to ensure that their loved ones aren’t financially distressed after their demise. After all, no one would really want to see their loved ones suffer (at least financially) after their death. Isn’t it?
But what if you have purchased a life insurance cover , but still your loved ones are financially troubled after your death due to unawareness of claims procedure? Well, you must really let your dependents know about the life insurance claim process and the required documents. Wondering how will you find the information? Don’t worry we have done the hard work for you. Simply skim through this blog to check out how to death claim on your life insurance policy.
But before we jump into action and let you know about the claim process, it only makes sense to start with the basics. Right?
What is Life Insurance?
In simple terms, life insurance is a bound contract between an insurance company and an individual where the latter agrees to pay a certain amount of money, every month, to the former to ensure a lump-sum amount to be paid to the latter’s nominees after their death. The fixed amount paid by latter to the former is referred to as the premium payment and the lump-sum amount paid to the nominee in the event of the death of the latter if referred to as the death benefit.
Broadly, life insurance claims are segmented into two different categories – death claims and maturity claims. In this article, we will discuss the death claim process and the documents required for the process.
In the event of the death of the policy holder during the term of the policy, the beneficiary can claim the proceeds of the death benefit. This claim is called the life insurance claim or more popularly death claim.
How to Make a Death Claim?
Listed below is the step-by-step procedure to make a death claim:
Step 1: First and the most important step is to inform the life insurance company about the death of the policy holder. Deaths are classified into two categories by insurance companies. The first of these categories is an ‘early death’ and the second is a ‘non-early death’. These categories are based on when the policy was bought from the life insurance company. If the policy holder dies within three years of buying the policy, then it is considered an early death.
Step 2: Reach out to the life insurance company and get the claim intimation form.
Step 3: Enquire about necessary documents to process the claim. If the life insurance policy has been purchased online, apply online for the form.
Now, that you know the steps to make a claim, it’s time to get acquainted with the documents that are required to process a death claim.
Usually, you require the following documents to process a death claim:
- Death certificate
- Original policy documents
- ID proof of the beneficiary
- Age proof of insurer
- Discharge form (executed and witnessed)
- Medical certificate (as proof for cause of death)
- Police FIR (in case of unnatural death)
- Postmortem report (in case of unnatural death)
- Hospital records/certificate (if the deceased died due to an illness)
- Cremation certificate and employer certificate (in case of early death)
If you are planning to make a death claim, do not wait too long after the death of the policy holder. Make sure of having all the aforementioned documents. Also, don’t forget to get in touch with your life insurance company and ask them for an updated checklist of documents required to make death claim.
Wrapping it Up!
We are sure now you understand how to make death claim on life insurance. We are sure this information will make the whole process of claiming Life Insurance fairly smoother.
You may also like to read: Top Reasons For Life Insurance Claim Rejection
How did you like the article? Or maybe you have a question.
Either way, leave a quick comment below.
- Most Read
- 5 Bad Habits & Factors Why One Must Have Life Insurance
Date: 25 May 2018
- Terms & Conditions of Term Insurance Plans
Date: 25 May 2018
- When to Terminate Life Insurance Plans?
Date: 25 May 2018
- Benefit of Income Replacement Term Insurance Plans
Date: 25 May 2018
- How to Choose Riders Effectively for your Term Insurance?
Date: 24 May 2018
- Best 5 LIC Policies To Invest in 2018
Views : 1400165
- How to Check LIC Policy Status, Details, Statement via Online/SMS/Call
Views : 1329708
- A Quick Guide To Post Office Monthly Income Scheme
Views : 548113
- Best Term Insurance Plans in India with Claim Settlement Ratio
Views : 540658
- National Pension Scheme (NPS) – Govt Approved Pension Scheme
Views : 404291